eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   risks buying from an unregistered paypal seller? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/10515-risks-buying-unregistered-paypal-seller.html)

deeznuts 04-21-2009 04:46 PM

risks buying from an unregistered paypal seller?

Hey. I just won a relatively expensive item on ebay ($450), and when I sent payment via paypal, it told me that the paypal user was unregistered. I've never experienced this before, but it gave me the option to cancel payment while it was pending, so I immediately did. I'm sure the seller will not be pleased, because their listing stipulated prompt payment, but now I'm suspicious thinking that THIS is why they want prompt payment...to get the $ before I figure out how risky it is lol. Any insight into the risks/protections available to purchases from non-registered PP sellers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Vicvelcro 04-21-2009 05:08 PM

I think you made the right choice. If they are genuine and want to make the sale, they'll get it fixed up. There is the possibility that they forgot to add a particular email addy to their verified PP. So there could be a reasonable explanation. But holding-off until you KNOW is always the way to go.

yaw1800 04-21-2009 05:47 PM

when im selling large priced items, i dont create a paypal until the payment is sent, there is no holds on these first payments.. I've done this 3 times for $1100, $890, and a much lower $110. I dont know if the seller is also doing this but i wouldnt worry too much...

does the seller have a history/feedback???

deeznuts 04-21-2009 05:57 PM

Thats the thing yaw...He has 0 fb, and only joined this month lol. I was only willing to deal with him in the first place because I knew I could just claim SNAD and get my money back through ebay/paypal. After seeing the non-registered tag as well, it just wasn't worth the risk. The fact that he just registered wasn't necessarily a huge deal, because the item I bought just released this month also. I figured maybe it was his first item purchased for resale. In the end, the risks just outweighed the reward of a slightly lower price.

Plus, if he was in fact using the non-registered account as a loophole to avoid the hold, that alone would make me hesitant to buy from him. The 21 day hold is encouraging while I'm on the other side of the transaction. I have yet to hear from him. I'll let you know if/when he responds. At this point, I'm pretty sure I was better off playing it safe with this one.

Vicvelcro 04-21-2009 06:22 PM

Keep in mind, the seller could be somebody in the same boat most of us are in. It *IS* possible that your seller is just working the system advantageously and has no ill intent as regards the transaction. Just be careful and keep your brain on tight.