eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   How is it possible to compete on ebay when wholesale prices are already on there? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/105345-how-possible-compete-ebay-when-wholesale-prices-already-there.html)

BlackLion 02-21-2017 10:06 AM

How is it possible to compete on ebay when wholesale prices are already on there?

I've browsed at least 10 wholesale sites, and when comparing prices to ebay they're already on there for same price. Would it be pointless to resell those same items, and compete with Chinese sellers? Me personally, I think so since i'd have to sell the items for $10+ or more. I have yet to find any profitable items for this site. This has lead me to finding alternative sites "rarely mentioned" to sell on, i just hope none of you ever find them, because you'd destroy my profits, especially with the 1000s of items you sell weekly, lol.

sax4 02-21-2017 10:17 AM

Re: How is it possible to compete on ebay when wholesale prices are already on there?

You need to find a niche rather than selling what everyone else is selling.

I though you would have Ebay emailed nailed down by now, you've been on here for years! No offence meant, just surprised.

BlackLion 02-21-2017 10:20 AM

Re: How is it possible to compete on ebay when wholesale prices are already on there?

Nope, still can't find a single item to sell, but I've found a new platform where i'm getting around 20-30 sales weekly, but fees are high. With 10min of daily work i'm making $100 weekly, lol. It's my only hope at the moment.

sax4 02-21-2017 10:31 AM

Well I can't comment on dropshipping from China, I do retail arbitrage chiefly.

That's good $100 for 10 mins work, that's one easy income stream, get a few more and you're laughing

BlackLion 02-21-2017 02:12 PM

Is there a way to find top selling eBay items without terapeak?

Arminass 02-21-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLion (Post 831787)
Nope, still can't find a single item to sell, but I've found a new platform where i'm getting around 20-30 sales weekly, but fees are high. With 10min of daily work i'm making $100 weekly, lol. It's my only hope at the moment.

I like your altitude. You cant find what to sell on eb, but you dont give up and find another platform where to earn money. Keep going further whatever it takes and you will get rich one day.

sax4 02-22-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLion (Post 831838)
Is there a way to find top selling eBay items without terapeak?

That's only method I know

GhostOfAmazon 02-22-2017 02:36 PM

You don't need "top selling" items. You need items that you can sell at a profit. Don't worry about what's popular. Worry about what makes money.

You can sell 100 items a week at $2 profit each, or 1 item per week at $200 profit, it's the same money. That should be your mindset going forward.

And stop making excuses as to why you can't make money. This is way easier than any job I've ever had.

Dotfifty89 02-22-2017 02:49 PM

I also made a thread similar to this, I was confused on how some sellers can possibly be making any profit with some of their listings. You just have to keep searching for something you have a chance of competing in. If you want to start getting sales and have a good sales ranking, then be prepared to lose money before you make any. Leave a listing on good till cancelled, and have your prices much lower than anyone elses, and raise them slowly when you feel it's right. Also have you thought about bundling items together to make it a little different to everyone else's, maybe offer a "free" gift.

phaz0rz 02-22-2017 03:05 PM

How to become profitable with e-commerce :
-find a niche to sell in (preferably 2 or 3)
-sell with meager profit margins until you build a name for yourself
-don't touch your profits until you have a couple grand flowing weekly (I understand you have to live, but live modestly until you're rich)
-focus on gaining buying power. That's key. Once you can place a $7500 order rather than $200, your shipping costs are distributed between thousands of items so your unit cost is much lower and your eventual profit higher.
-do whatever you can to attract wholesale customers to your listings. If you offer free shipping and a customer buys 250x of your item rather than 1x, your profit goes through the f***in roof.

I sell in a niche dominated by the Chinese and I'm doing great. I give way better customer service than any Chinese seller, so customers would rather buy from me I suppose. Always mention the drastic shipping time difference in your listings if you're competing against the Chinese.

Ok I'm done rambling. Take that as you will, lol.

toml3030 02-22-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLion (Post 831780)
I've browsed at least 10 wholesale sites

Wholesale sites are quickly becoming a waste of time. You need to deal direct with the manufacturer because pretty much everyone between manufacturer and you are also one ebay/amazon selling the same stuff for the same prices that they're trying to sell to you.

muzzie 02-23-2017 02:32 AM

Find an item that has a low competition and reasonable margin (niche item). All these wholesale items are already sold with 5p profit by Chinese, no sense to compete with them. You can sell 1000 phone cases and earn 1 usd from each, and TONS of problems from the buyers, when you can sell 2-3 expensive items and gain the same profit. Do not look at Terapeak reports, 10000s of other people are using it. Just manually study the market, it is hard, but you will definitely find some "diamond" items, as manual approach can't be copied, so many many niches where you can work with a good profit.

Kajunrook 02-23-2017 11:39 AM

Well guys one thing to take into consideration is whether or not you have a regular clientele. I sell some stuff on ebay to my regulars and then turn around and have it shipped to them from another seller on ebays. I make $3-4 on each. Price is not always number one issue. My regulars just buy from me because they know me and know I stand behind everything I sell. Have said that a niche is the way to go to get a core of regulars.

jakobrockz 02-23-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajunrook (Post 832235)
Well guys one thing to take into consideration is whether or not you have a regular clientele. I sell some stuff on ebay to my regulars and then turn around and have it shipped to them from another seller on ebays. I make $3-4 on each. Price is not always number one issue. My regulars just buy from me because they know me and know I stand behind everything I sell. Have said that a niche is the way to go to get a core of regulars.

Is there a way to find how many buyers percentage wise are repeat customers?

jamescarson3000 02-23-2017 01:56 PM

You will have to watch the first Fast and Furious Movie they touch on this matter on getting DVD PLAYERS they are making pretty sweet profit really nice cars now :bounce:

Play 02-23-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 832101)
I sell in a niche dominated by the Chinese and I'm doing great. I give way better customer service than any Chinese seller, so customers would rather buy from me I suppose. Always mention the drastic shipping time difference in your listings if you're competing against the Chinese.

OP - This is what will set you apart from overseas sellers.

Business is all about adapting. The chinese are now shipping from within countries their selling in - to expedite delivery time. You need to find ways to conquer those challenges.

newjerseymax 02-23-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play (Post 832274)
OP - This is what will set you apart from overseas sellers.

Business is all about adapting. The chinese are now shipping from within countries their selling in - to expedite delivery time. You need to find ways to conquer those challenges.

Funny thing is it would cost them more to ship from inside the country then China.

Many peoples customer service is terrible, try to set yourself apart and of course niche products...lol

duffrageous 02-27-2017 01:10 PM

I'm sorry if others are doing what I'm describing below(if they are, you can feel free to delete my post).

eBay has something called Daily Deals where they list items that are marked off by 10-20% off. These listings usually sell hundreds of items per day because they're featured on the home page, popular, and discounted. On random days, usually in the 2nd and 3rd month of every quarter, eBay will send out eBay Bucks bonus promotions for 6-10% back to either every account signed up for eBay Bucks or a good portion of the accounts. If you can limit your buying to those days, maxing out the $500 bonus on each account(having enough accounts to accommodate your buying practices), you can make a nice living this way. You should also focus on your title keywords, image, and item description to attract buyers away from other sellers selling the same products(you can be a bottom feeder by picking off a few buyers a week without competing directly with them for sales).

JamesLee 03-01-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostOfAmazon (Post 832098)
You don't need "top selling" items. You need items that you can sell at a profit. Don't worry about what's popular. Worry about what makes money.

You can sell 100 items a week at $2 profit each, or 1 item per week at $200 profit, it's the same money. That should be your mindset going forward.

And stop making excuses as to why you can't make money. This is way easier than any job I've ever had.

Good point

brownsuga 03-03-2017 03:15 PM

I know it is difficult to find the right thing to sell even as an old ebayer.

I dropship only. Retail arbitrage and from manufacturers, all in the US. I was off ebay for almost 2 years and came back in December. I listed about 20 items and was making a lot of sales from only 3 products. Now, the weather is getting better (I sell cold weather stuff) so l am making almost nothing. I added 200 more items and I am still selling nothing. When I did a check on all my listings I realize that everyone was selling the same thing and dropshipping too at the same rate.

The reality is, it takes a lot of research, trial and error for you to find "that product".

As someone suggested, find the product and start selling at a loss or little profit to build your momentum. This is something I am learning to be true. The Chinese in my niche will sell a product for $20 and when they sell couple of them in a week or 2. They increase it to $100.

yankee 03-06-2017 11:54 AM

Lots of good info in this thread and a lot of stuff I disagree with. I personally would not sell at a loss. If you cant make money, dont waste time on it.

Competing with the Chinese is not for the faint of heart but it is quite possible to do. I suggest that unless you have large buying power to not tackle this. It is much better to focus on $$$$ into your pocket than what other sellers are doing.

You can literally get plenty of stuff for free to quickly liquidate on ebay and amazon for a profit. Stuff like free books for example.