New here and need help with a customs question - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 86%
Default New here and need help with a customs question

I'm not sure if this question is valid here or not, but I don't know where to post it... if someone could answer it I'd greatly appreciate it...

I had ordered 2 jerseys from China a couple weeks ago (total cost w/ shipping $86) and everything went through just fine. It was the first time I had ordered internationally.

I ordered 2 more from the same seller (total cost w/ shipping $75) and this time my package went through customs at JFK. It came "Inbound to Customs" at 6am this morning and I haven't heard any news.

Now my question is... if I've only ever ordered twice, and both orders were less than $100 each (and the first one came through fine) why would it be handed over to customs?

Was it just luck of the draw and they randomly selected mine? Could it have anything to do with them checking all packages because of the swine flu outbreak? Will they even open it or is this just an inconvenience?

I'm just confused because it's such a tiny, miniscule order in the scheme of things and it didn't happen the first time.

If anyone could give their opinions of why it could have happened, if I should expect to eventually receive it, etc. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-02-2009

Longevity: 92%
Send a message via MSN to gurusgrafx Send a message via Yahoo to gurusgrafx

every package passes through customs, you should have no problems as long as its marked as something the packaging fits. If that makes sense.. I've gotten multiple packages holding 15 bottles of absinthe each sent from Germany marked as "glassware." they haven't stopped one yet, and I was doing it years before they lifted the ban. point being, its not that hard to get stuff in. especially if the customs form is marked appropriately.
The Following User Says Thank You to gurusgrafx For This Useful Post:
confusedbycustoms (05-02-2009)
Old 05-02-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Weclome to the boards, confused.
tbh, it could be the luck of the draw or the seller may be on the USA Customs list to check shipments. First thing that comes to mind is that if it
is 'Football' jerseys, then such imports will be held to determine their authenticity. The other thing to consider is a slow clearing time.
Early days yet and the packages may well get cleared.
Old 05-02-2009
Threadstarter  

gurusgrafx,

The thing is, the first time the package came through it said nothing about customs. It came in to JFK and then went straight back out. There was no mention of Inbound to customers or any of that. So I'm assuming it either didn't get checked, held, or they just forgot to scan it while it was there...

I'm concerned because this time it actually stated that it was "handed over to customs." I'm hoping I can catch a break because it's only 2 and it's not like I'm re-selling them... I plan on wearing them...

So I wanted to see if you thought they'd be opened up or just x-rayed/passed through... and if they are opened what are the chances I'm going to get taxed or it's just going to get destroyed?
Old 05-03-2009

It's the weekend, you'll prolly see a "released from customs" tomorrow or next day sometime. I've had shipments held in customs for a day or two several times..

If the shipments are small you'll be fine.

I orderd 20 pairs of shoes several years ago, and asked the supplier to break it up into 4 different shipments of 5 pairs.. well the dumbass supplier sent all 20 pairs.. this got held for weeks, then i got a letter from customs lol.

This also happened with 20 lacoste shirts...

Yet, i got a shipment of 100 lacoste shirts sent via dsl and it worked out just fine. Customs is random, but on small orders the likely hood that they will hold it is slim to none. (as they prolly won't crack the package)

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2009

Longevity: 89%

My exp. ... if it is there for a week , you probaly will not be getting it .. It really is just luck of the draw .
Old 05-03-2009
Threadstarter  

UPDATE EVERYONE!

It got cleared! Tonight at 7:14 PM!

Of course I will wait to be completely happy until it arrives at my door but this is good news!

Thank you everyone for your responses!
Old 05-03-2009

Longevity: 91%

75$
is kind of expensive for 2 copy jerseys don't you think

don't you think you'd be better off buying in quantity you'll get a much better price and a better profit margin
The Following User Says Thank You to ebay For This Useful Post:
jpennell (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012

Longevity: 74%

Hi guys! can UK ppl help please or US ppl it doesnt matter really :( basically me and my friend are dealing with China and last time our parcel was stoped and our item ripped apart by customs (we even got a letter about that!) because it IS counterfait BUT we still sell it on Ebay and its doing well! So can someone explain to me UK procedures on parcels? if our guy in China puts something different on the declaration form will it likely to get through to UK to us, or not? Or do customs screen it through their machines? :(((
thanks a lot to everyone who responds.. x
Old 02-13-2012

Longevity: 73%

first i suggest you dont reply to threads from 2009.

then i suggest you search harder. this has been covered numerous times. you could also google how customs works.

im also not sure why you openly post about selling counterfeit items on an open forum, but what do i know. if you deal in this stuff you take a huge risk. its up to you whether you are willing to deal with the repercussions.