eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Selling gift cards (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/108475-selling-gift-cards.html)

Dashawn 06-27-2017 12:21 PM

Selling gift cards

I am interested in selling electronic gift cards. What are your thoughts?

As in sell electronic gift cards but ship a screen shot of the code with signature confirmation

Play 06-27-2017 12:32 PM

Re: Selling gift cards

Can attract scammers, i.e. redeem code and report it didn't work.

You posted under ebay discussions, so I presume you want to sell it on ebay - you then need to take into account how ebay always favour buyers, so yet again you'll find yourself out of luck.

JamesNorth101 06-27-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dashawn (Post 854854)
I am interested in selling electronic gift cards. What are your thoughts?

As in sell electronic gift cards but ship a screen shot of the code with signature confirmation

You will get hit by a lot of scammers selling items like that, no matter how careful you are

Dashawn 06-27-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 854861)
You will get hit by a lot of scammers selling items like that, no matter how careful you are

Is there a way I can only chose to sell to certain users on ebay such as LBC

JamesNorth101 06-27-2017 01:08 PM

You can limit it to a very small extent (such as no more than 5 items to the same buyer within X period of time, or no users with bellow 0 feedback) but really its a hiding to nothing using their buyer limitation options

fox20c 06-27-2017 01:49 PM

Dont do it, personal experience. You will loose money.

slokor 06-27-2017 01:54 PM

Wow so much negativity...
I used to sell gift cards and out of several hundreds that I sold I had only 2 issues and both of those resolved in my favor.
Certain rules to follow though. Always ship with tracking and delivery confirmation. Never sell to zero or low feedback buyers - sell ONLY to established buyers and only after you check their feedbacks. Before you ship confirm the details between ebay and paypal all match. And if you think or feel ANYTHING is not as it should be do NOT complete a transaction.
That was my own experience.

danshan 06-27-2017 04:29 PM

I only sell with paper clip trick and only to buyers who have done an IP and phone verification with me

dallis 06-27-2017 05:44 PM

You can't sell "ONLY to established buyers and only after you check their feedbacks".

You MAY be fine, but the possible loss profile on this is pretty high.

With all due respect to Sloker, I can't imagine risking my money like this. But, then again, I am pretty conservative when it comes to risk.

AK81 06-27-2017 05:52 PM

Its a no no mate, you will get chargeback after chargeback.

slokor 06-27-2017 06:08 PM

Like I said - if you know what youre doing its possible to do it and not have to worry about getting scammed. I did it myself and have never had any major issues - nothing more severe than any other type of lower risk item.
Anyone can scam you - on ANY item. Being careful is a part of the game.

empirestate 06-27-2017 06:20 PM

One way to limit risk is to limit 1 item per buyer.

slokor 06-27-2017 06:37 PM

Which is one of the methods I employed.
Unless the buyer is very reputable and has thousands of feedbacks I would block them immediately after making delivery. Minimize the exposure to possible fraud. If they contacted me about it I would explain my policy. never had a person have an issue with it.

dallis 06-27-2017 07:27 PM

How does blocking somebody AFTER the sale and delivery stop fraud?

slokor 06-27-2017 09:50 PM

As I mentioned this is just one of other methods used to reduce the risk involved with such auctions.
The blocking after means youre not selling more than one single item per buyer (per whatever time period YOU decide on - if at all).
This is one of the methods to hedge risk involved in such items since any potential scammer would likely want to come back again and again.

GhostOfAmazon 06-27-2017 10:10 PM

Not the same, but related.

Several years ago I used to sell Xbox codes on eBay for the very popular game Halo 4.

Long story short there were several different armor skins that were exclusive to each retailer. Wal-Mart had one, Best Buy had one, etc.

Anyways, I found a guy online who had hundreds of all of them, and he sold them to me for about 2 dollars each code. The codes I sold individually from 5 up to 60 dollars EACH.

I sold THOUSANDS in total. I probably had a dozen or so TOTAL people try to scam me, out of THOUSANDS. I actually think it was less than that, but I'm erring on the side of caution.

Now, I wasn't really worried, because if someone says "Item not Received" I just printed out the code, stuck it in an envelope, shipped it with SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION, and put a photo of my hand with a middle finger sticking up inside as a little bonus too. I won every case.

Even if I lost them, I was paying so little and had such high margins that it wouldn't have hurt me.

Gift cards are a different product, but the risk is the same, IMO. The difference is the buyers. Are gift card buyers more likely to be scammers? Probably. Just watch your back and you should be ok, my 2 cents.