Say i listed a replica and stated as such yet a buyer decides to purchase still? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-18-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 41%
Default Say i listed a replica and stated as such yet a buyer decides to purchase still?

The buyer is fully aware that it is a replica. However, after the buyer receives the item they file a claim to ebay stating that I sold them a replica and demand a refund. Who does ebay side with?

Last edited by Card; 12-18-2017 at 02:33 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-18-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%
Default Re: Say i listed a replica and stated as such yet a buyer decides to purchase still?

LOL, Hold on......gimmie a sec while I control myself. I'm gonna go with....you already know the answer to that question.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
Card (12-18-2017), GreenBean (12-18-2017), Jineric (12-20-2017), walkingupwards (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 30%
Longevity: 85%
Default Re: Say i listed a replica and stated as such yet a buyer decides to purchase still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card View Post
The buyer is fully aware that it is a replica. However, after the buyer receives the item they file a claim to ebay stating that I sold them a replica and demand a refund. Who does ebay side with?
Yes, tell ebay that the item is counterfeit and that the buyer knew this when he bought it.

Are you actually being serious?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ebayorbust For This Useful Post:
Card (12-18-2017), GreenBean (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebayorbust View Post
Yes, tell ebay that the item is counterfeit and that the buyer knew this when he bought it.

Are you actually being serious?
Yes, this is the new way.

They are after us giving them the get out of jail card.

‘Cos they wanna have their own way
Card (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017
Threadstarter  

So is the answer to my question: ebay will side with the buyer? Because at the same time if the buyer bought knowing the item is a replica, and tried claiming that the product being a replica is the reason for the claim.. isn't the buyer the one that is really trying to be deceitful? the buyer is abusing ebay policy. It is true the seller is breaking ebay policy, but isn't abusing policy and being deceitful a bigger issue than listing a replica and stating it as one? Because the whole reason for the policy over replicas is due to people who list COUNTERFEITS and claim the product is authentic. These sellers are purposely trying to deceive the buyer community and thus taking away revenue from original companies by selling identicals made elsewhere. But in this scenario the seller isn't selling a counterfeit, they are selling a replica. Similar to original but there are differences. So in this case, who wins? or would both seller and buyer face consequences? because ive seen many sellers list replicas, and many more getting their replicas sold. So i want to know the answer to whats worse, breaking policy or abusing policy? And before anyone claims that replicas ARE counterfeits please check out this article.

http://wwd.com/business-news/retail/...egal-10437109/

Last edited by Card; 12-18-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2017

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card View Post
So is the answer to my question: ebay will side with the buyer?
The correct solution is to ban the seller and refund the buyer. Seller violating eBay policy will always trump every other issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to toml3030 For This Useful Post:
Card (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017
Threadstarter  

Smile Re: Say i listed a replica and stated as such yet a buyer decides to purchase still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml3030 View Post
The correct solution is to ban the seller and refund the buyer. Seller violating eBay policy will always trump every other issue.
Thank you.
Old 12-18-2017

Longevity: 37%

I know a seller who's doing the exact thing you talked about. He states in his item's description:

"You're bidding on a non-original item. However, the quality is very good considering the price"

He has thousands of sales on that listing and few buyers leave feedback stating the item they got is ⊗⊗⊗⊗. I think most buyers only look at pictures and don't read any description (not in all categories though).

If it's a Vero item you want to list, I would advise you to abstain from that (It's not worth it).
The Following User Says Thank You to walkingupwards For This Useful Post:
Card (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingupwards View Post
I know a seller who's doing the exact thing you talked about. He states in his item's description:

"You're bidding on a non-original item. However, the quality is very good considering the price"

He has thousands of sales on that listing and few buyers leave feedback stating the item they got is ⊗⊗⊗⊗. I think most buyers only look at pictures and don't read any description (not in all categories though).

If it's a Vero item you want to list, I would advise you to abstain from that (It's not worth it).
Well there you go, as long as you say something to the affect that the item isn't authentic makes it ok, there's your answer Card......

If people sell non-authentic items and they get caught they deserve it, for those who have not been caught then they are lucky so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
Card (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017

Longevity: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
Well there you go, as long as you say something to the affect that the item isn't authentic makes it ok, there's your answer Card......

If people sell non-authentic items and they get caught they deserve it, for those who have not been caught then they are lucky so far.

I made it clear to OP that I don't think it's a good idea to list these items.
The Following User Says Thank You to walkingupwards For This Useful Post:
Card (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Thank you for this response.

I don't plan on listing a replica item, i was just curious as to what would happen if a buyer were to complain about it being a replica after it clearly states the product being sold in a replica. Who would ebay side with?

Do you know if your seller friend has any buyers complain even after he has listed? What usually happens? Or is it true what a previous member here stated "violating ebay policy trumps every other offense." Im also assuming the seller you know is listing non vero items?

Last edited by Card; 12-18-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

If a buyer complains even if it clearly states that it's a replica...eb will still side with buyer and could compromise your account
Old 12-18-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
I know a seller who's doing the exact thing you talked about.
This is cute ...and precious
Old 12-18-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

if you have not intention on doing this, why ask the hypothetical question? Are you looking to buy ⊗⊗⊗⊗ stuff an then open a claim? You will still be required to return the item....
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (12-20-2017)
Old 12-18-2017

Longevity: 72%

Lots of people sell replicas - for example, civil war buttons and trinkets are often reproduced, and as long as the buyer is clear they are reproductions, not true vintage items, selling them is fine.

HOWEVER...

A buyer who files a SNAD is going to win pretty much every single time, regardless of the reason.

People who sell items as 'BROKEN; NOT WORKING' often have to accept a return because the buyer says "doesn't work", and this is no different.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dallis For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (12-20-2017), GreenBean (12-20-2017)
Old 12-18-2017
Threadstarter  

Thank you everyone who has responded. This post has been answered.
Old 12-19-2017

I suppose that's his way of saying 'shut up and go away, I'm tired of listening to you'
Old 12-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post
Lots of people sell replicas - for example, civil war buttons and trinkets are often reproduced, and as long as the buyer is clear they are reproductions, not true vintage items, selling them is fine.

HOWEVER...

A buyer who files a SNAD is going to win pretty much every single time, regardless of the reason.

People who sell items as 'BROKEN; NOT WORKING' often have to accept a return because the buyer says "doesn't work", and this is no different.
I mean, replicas of older and or vintage and or etc items, isn't really the same thing as what most people would consider replicas on ebay. It's more along the lines of things that are currently produced. If you copy a watch, and call it a replica, well, that's against the law. You're essentially stealing from that company. My market is flooded with this crap. What ebay needs to do is allow a button to show only branded items. They sorta have that now, but if I click on the brand, it still shows mostly the ⊗⊗⊗⊗.
Old 12-20-2017

That's a great idea, which is why it will never happen. :(
Old 12-20-2017

Quote:
That's a great idea, which is why it will never happen. :(
Using Tag Heuer leather straps for example, even if you click on brand " tag heuer", it shows you results, even if the seller set the brand as "fits Tag Heuer" or "for TAG Heuer"

Which I think is absurd.

I'm not sure if being able to choose brand, with unbranded being an option, is a new thing or not?
Old 12-20-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Lots of people sell replicas - for example, civil war buttons and trinkets are often reproduced, and as long as the buyer is clear they are reproductions, not true vintage items, selling them is fine

Exactly. The listing must clearly define what the item is.

Good response, dallis

Old 12-20-2017

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Since its against eBay rules to sell counterfeit products, you wont get away with it.

That's the ultimatum.