Vpn or vps - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-23-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Default Vpn or vps

Hi again having tech issues with my vps company and ready to change. Thinking of trying a VPN instead what are the pros and cons of a VPN vs a vps. And what are good companies for both. I have someone in another city listing for me and may eventually get an Indian employee as well. Ideally i'll have 5 VPN or vps going eventually each with 1 paypal and 3 ebays accounts so if one get in trouble i can just start a new one with little trouble. But not sure of which companies work best.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-23-2017

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 45%
Default Re: Vpn or vps

if you have a vps and know how to use it it makes no sense to buy a VPN when you can run one on the VPS. All retail VPN's are run on VPS's. A VPN is only a program run on a VPS.
Old 12-23-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
if you have a vps and know how to use it it makes no sense to buy a VPN when you can run one on the VPS. All retail VPN's are run on VPS's. A VPN is only a program run on a VPS.
Most retail VPNs are actually run on dedicated servers not VPS, most VPS can only handle but so many people and tend to be less reliable than dedicated servers

Both VPN & VPS work but VPNs in my book tend to have more benefits (of course I'm bias) but with a VPN + VMware you can easily manage multiple stealth accounts at same time. You can have 5 tabs open each with a different ip and switch between them in seconds. While in most situations you can only have one VPS open at a time

Also VPS in general tend to be less reliable as in go down more often and are slower, unless you go with a more expensive VPS or linux which most non techy people do not want to use linux
Old 12-23-2017
Threadstarter  

Actually, the issue with the vps is that the windows updates filled up my storage to the point i cant use the server and that file keeps growing on its own. the vps i used was 20gb with about 8 used for os and i would only use 4gb or so as i was only running two browsers, batch purifier and dropbox. So the windows updates filled and and after i deleted it once i couldnt delete again but it basically filled the hard drive again. The company reformatted the server last week and reinstalled the os and when i asked what to do to stop the answer was to not install updates. Now its goings super slow and i can barely list as the cpu usage is running at a constant 100 percent. Their solution: install the updates. When i told them to look at the last incidence i was told i should upgrade the storage space but there no guarantee that the updates wont fill that. I feel since this is an issue me as the costomer has no control of they should fix it but they say this type of problem is $50 an hour.
Old 12-23-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldascrystal View Post
Actually, the issue with the vps is that the windows updates filled up my storage to the point i cant use the server and that file keeps growing on its own. the vps i used was 20gb with about 8 used for os and i would only use 4gb or so as i was only running two browsers, batch purifier and dropbox. So the windows updates filled and and after i deleted it once i couldnt delete again but it basically filled the hard drive again. The company reformatted the server last week and reinstalled the os and when i asked what to do to stop the answer was to not install updates. Now its goings super slow and i can barely list as the cpu usage is running at a constant 100 percent. Their solution: install the updates. When i told them to look at the last incidence i was told i should upgrade the storage space but there no guarantee that the updates wont fill that. I feel since this is an issue me as the costomer has no control of they should fix it but they say this type of problem is $50 an hour.

That's another benefit of a VPN, don't have to worry about having to pay for extra storage etc, everything is stored on your own PC nothing on the VPN
Old 12-23-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
That's another benefit of a VPN, don't have to worry about having to pay for extra storage etc, everything is stored on your own PC nothing on the VPN
I can see the benefits but i want to hear the negatives. I dont want surprises in my business messing with my income
Old 12-23-2017

Learn Linux or buy a VPN... Your choice... I learned Linux... All 13 of my $9 and $6 a year openVZ's running CentOS 6 do me just fine and havent had any down time on either of their New York or Miami locations. I did have one issue once where the server was down with their LA location that i used to build a VPN for one of my clients in China. My $34 a year VPS in Switzerland is another story, I've been through hell with them. They killed my service by mistake twice for none payment at the beginning of my pre-paid 12 months of service. They've switched my IP on me once, and the DNS nameserver they set my server up with stopped working but that was a easy fix on my end once I realized what the problem was.

wget
http://www.softether-download.com/fi...e/Linux/SoftEt
her_VPN_Server/64bit_-_Intel_x64_or_AMD64/softether-vpnserver-v4.24-9651-beta-2017.10.2
3-linux-x64-64bit.tar.gz

That little line of script right there is whats up...

Now if I could just figure out how to configure large page support to increase my ulimit -l.

sudo sysctl -w vm.nr_hugepages=128 isnt working for me. permission denied....

Then I'll have all my VPS's mining Monero like a boss while hosting my VPN's.

Last edited by nate; 12-24-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Learn Linux or buy a VPN... Your choice... I learned Linux... All 13 of my $9 and $6 a year openVZ's running CentOS 6 do me just fine and havent had any down time on either of their New York or Miami locations. I did have one issue once where the server was down with their LA location that i used to build a VPN for one of my clients in China. My $34 VPS in Switzerland is another story, I've been through hell with them. They killed my service by mistake twice for none payment at the beginning of my pre-paid 12 months of service. They've switched my IP on me once, and the DNS nameserver they set my server up with stopped working but that was a easy fix on my end once I realized what the problem was.

wget
http://www.softether-download.com/fi...e/Linux/SoftEt
her_VPN_Server/64bit_-_Intel_x64_or_AMD64/softether-vpnserver-v4.24-9651-beta-2017.10.2
3-linux-x64-64bit.tar.gz

That little line of script right there is whats up...

Now if I could just figure out how to configure large page support to increase my ulimit -l.

sudo sysctl -w vm.nr_hugepages=128 isnt working for me. permission denied....

Then I'll have all my VPS's mining Monero like a boss while hosting my VPN's.
Sounds like a plan. But i have to have whatever my new solution is in place and fully understood by the 9th. Would love to get a better understanding of your systems for a long term situation. But doubt i canxt have a strong understanding of it intime to bet my livelihood on it. If u dont mind helping me learn and giving me some guide lines it would be most appreciated.
Old 12-23-2017

Learn VMWare 1st. Then start experimenting with a terminal in Linux on a VM. YouTube has millions of videos to show you the basics.