Returns question - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-20-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 51%
Default Returns question

Does anyone know what happens with an e.bay return if you don't receive the item?

I had a customer who was an asshole to me, and to make things worse e.bay gave me the wrong information on how to handle it. Had I known I would have straight up refunded this guy and let him keep it so I could get on with my life, instead e.bay issued the return label.

I'm curious though, what happens if I don't collect the parcel? Do e.bay just refund anyway? I feel like that would be the better choice than receiving what ever he's sent me.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-20-2018
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%
Default Re: Returns question

Regardless they'll refund the buyer.

I don't understand how you have trouble receiving the parcel though.
What's the exact details anyways/
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
nickopedia (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018

Longevity: 48%

If it’s a low value item then by all means just hit the refund button. eBay will let you do that at anytime. They really don’t care what happens to the parcel as long as their customer gets refunded by you and not them. The sooner the better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Payelectronica For This Useful Post:
ebaystealth1974 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018
Threadstarter  

I wasn't at home so it's at the local depot awaiting collection. I know usually if these things aren't collected they are returned to the sender, so I wondered how e.bay deals with that since I'm meant to refund within 2 days of receiving it back. I'm worried he's sent me something malicious, or maybe damaged it some how. I know I'm probably being paranoid but this customer straight up flipped on me, I had to report him. I wasn't rude, I offered him partial refund if he kept it and a full refund or replacement if he returned it and god knows why but he had a melt down. Maybe he's not all there or something :/

Anyway it was just a curiosity thing. I was angry at the time for the way he wrote to me, I hate how e.bay has just let him be abusive and gave him a return label after saying they would handle it. You bend over backwards to keep e.bay happy and they still shaft you :/
Old 11-20-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

With returns, you refund, period.

I have never won a refund case on any account, ever.

I once had a buyer who send back a couple rocks wrapped up in a tube. I even took pictures. It didn't matter to eBay or PayPal. I lost both the item and the scammer took my money. Their response was to have me file a police report which is a waste of time. The police won't do squat.

It's the cost of doing business, unfortunately.
Old 11-20-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
With returns, you refund, period.

I have never won a refund case on any account, ever.

I once had a buyer who tried to smal me by seding back a couple rocks wrapped up in a tube. I even took pictures. It didn't matter to eBay or PayPal. I lost both the item and the scammer took my money.

It's the cost of doing business, unfortunately.
I was worried about this sort of thing, I was considering asking one of the staff at royal mail to be a witness when opening it, but I figure its a huge waste of my time.

maybe I should do a slow refund, penny by penny to show this guy what a douche he is
The Following User Says Thank You to zenohki For This Useful Post:
nickopedia (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenohki View Post
I was worried about this sort of thing, I was considering asking one of the staff at royal mail to be a witness when opening it, but I figure its a huge waste of my time.

maybe I should do a slow refund, penny by penny to show this guy what a douche he is
Sure, you can also report them as an "abusive buyer" but that's unlikely to do anything. eBay doesn't seem to act on the web form complaints. Even calling in and complaining about a buyer abusing returns usually accomplishes nothing.

In one of the niches I sell in though, I do have the ability to communicate with some other sellers about these "problem" people and share block lists amoung us. It's kind of like a little "association" of sorts on another private board. By sharing this info, we have been able to deal with some buyers or other troublemakers.

Depending on what you sell, you may have similar remedies in an off eBay venue, as leaving neg FB for buyers has not been an option for years.
Old 11-21-2018

Longevity: 75%

The post office will have the package returned to the sender if you reject to receive the package.

You will get refunded because eBay always stands on the buyer’s side 90% of the time
Old 11-21-2018
dbhana121

Longevity: 0%

In my experience, i did sell a phone once and the buyet sent back a dummy phone, i recorded the opening of the package with someone holding the camera, and i knew it wasn't the phone i was supposed to receive. Ebay refunded the buyer, but i phoned PP ans both ebay telling them of the proof i had and the issue, they refunded me themselves, which was a relief as i didn't lose anything, and they didn't even ask me to send the video in.
Old 11-21-2018
Threadstarter  

A little update for anyone who's interested.

So I got the parcel and with my paranoia I set up a camera to record myself opening the parcel, and my paranoia was justified. He hadn't sent me back the item, just something similar shape and weight.

I called e.bay, ran through the whole story and said I have video proof and if need be I can file a police report. I don't tolerate abuse or theft, I make my items by hand so I find it a bit distressing that they allow someone to do this to me.

In 15mins I had my refund, but at the moment not all of it. I have since contacted e.bay again to demand the rest since I lost about 40% of the value due to their staffs recommendation, plus they made me pay for the return. They have said they can't guarantee the refund but under the circumstances don't see why not. I have to wait 7-10 days for approval and they have said they will call me. So far I'm not out of pocket, its just the time and energy wasted.

Anyway, I think one reason it was decided in my favour is because it wasn't a particularly high value. Not compared to some sellers on here anyway! I figure the way they processed it the guy got his refund and e.bay just absorbed the cost. I dislike that idea though, that the guy maybe thinks he got away with it.

Anyway if anyone fancies posting this guy some dog **** for me I'd really appreciate it
Old 11-21-2018
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

Sounds like the exact type of customers we all dread.

I'd be tempted to mess with him, you have his name and address.... Dog **** is one way to get him back
Old 11-23-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_smile View Post
Sounds like the exact type of customers we all dread.

I'd be tempted to mess with him, you have his name and address.... Dog **** is one way to get him back
The fun thing is, I actually know where this guy lives. He's on a road I used to take to work like 10+ years ago. I'm tempted next time I'm back in the area to go ring his doorbell and kick him in the crotch
The Following User Says Thank You to zenohki For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhana121 View Post
In my experience, i did sell a phone once and the buyet sent back a dummy phone, i recorded the opening of the package with someone holding the camera, and i knew it wasn't the phone i was supposed to receive. Ebay refunded the buyer, but i phoned PP ans both ebay telling them of the proof i had and the issue, they refunded me themselves, which was a relief as i didn't lose anything, and they didn't even ask me to send the video in.
Very smart business move.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018

Longevity: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenohki View Post
I wasn't at home so it's at the local depot awaiting collection. I know usually if these things aren't collected they are returned to the sender, so I wondered how e.bay deals with that since I'm meant to refund within 2 days of receiving it back. I'm worried he's sent me something malicious, or maybe damaged it some how. I know I'm probably being paranoid but this customer straight up flipped on me, I had to report him. I wasn't rude, I offered him partial refund if he kept it and a full refund or replacement if he returned it and god knows why but he had a melt down. Maybe he's not all there or something :/

Anyway it was just a curiosity thing. I was angry at the time for the way he wrote to me, I hate how e.bay has just let him be abusive and gave him a return label after saying they would handle it. You bend over backwards to keep e.bay happy and they still shaft you :/
If that happens, they will still refund the buyer and he can keep the item which was RTS because you refuse receipt or you didn't pick it up. Why not just pick it up and maybe sell it again if it's still the same item. If not, you can call ebay with your proof, ask to be transferred to appeals.
Old 11-23-2018

Longevity: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhana121 View Post
This is true. Just make sure that once you have the parcel in hand already take pictures or videos, then call the appeals team of ebay or directly call paypal for refund.