How do you avoid scamming buyers? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-24-2019

Activity: 14%
Longevity: 39%
Default How do you avoid scamming buyers?

Hello,

I have never had this situation because it does not apply to the items I sell, but the situation is the following:

A seller sells some items in electronics category, lets take good old cell phones.

1) the buyer buys the cellphone
2) seller ships it
3) buyer gets the item, opens the return or whatever case (item not as described/broken)
4) seller accepts the return and gets the cellphone back. After a while he notices that the speaker or some other part has been removed from the device. Or instead of the device he gets a bag of stones.

What do you do in these kind of cases?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-24-2019
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
Default Re: How do you avoid scamming buyers?

I once shipped a roll of silver coins worth about $600 to a buyer in New Jersey. The day he gets it he opens a Return Request. I get back a box with two rolls of toilet paper taped at the ends with rocks inside them.

I immediately called eBay and PayPal and explained the sitaution. Ebay told me to file a police report. The local PD (in SF Bay Area) did absolutely nothing, which is expected anyway. I did send the police report to eBay they were able to make a "Seller Protection Claim" on my behalf.

It took a bit of work, phone calls, and some nagging, but it's worth a shot.

Unfortunately not all cases of return fraud have a happy ending.
Old 01-24-2019
Threadstarter  

Activity: 14%
Longevity: 39%

that's what I thought.
There just does not exist certain procedures and plan of actions from ebay side to protect sellers in these cases.

at least you live in the US and you can file a police report because its still an internal event, but what to do for those which experience such issues when shipping items overseas?
Old 01-24-2019
Executive [VIP]

OP: I wish there was a more cut & dry procedure for dealing with return fraud. Clearly eBay's current system is flawed as the only option for sellers on the Return Request is to "Report" the buyer. You already know this doesn't work.

Since your flag shows as Belize, I'm not sure what you can do other than call eBay and ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
Mayhard (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019

Longevity: 82%

a month ago a buyer purchased a phone from me same day he received it he opened a claim ebay accepts the return and he sends me back an empty box with bubble wrap in it took me about 3 weeks or so but i finally got my money back from ebay after filing a police report and sending it to them
The Following User Says Thank You to hackteck For This Useful Post:
nickopedia (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck View Post
a month ago a buyer purchased a phone from me same day he received it he opened a claim ebay accepts the return and he sends me back an empty box with bubble wrap in it took me about 3 weeks or so but i finally got my money back from ebay after filing a police report and sending it to them
How about going to your local pet shop and buying a big box of feeder roaches and sending your scamming buyer a care package?
The Following User Says Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
DarkKnight17 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
How about going to your local pet shop and buying a big box of feeder roaches and sending your scamming buyer a care package?
lol i might just do that
Old 01-25-2019

Longevity: 31%

Scamming buyers is part of the game. Going into this you are going to have to accept the fact that you will get scammed a few times. For something expensive, there is a certain form that eBay makes you fill out to get your money back. I remember this happened to me once and was told to fill out a what I think was some sort of Federal form and then send them screenshots of the completed form... I was then refunded the full amount.
Old 01-25-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoSalV2 View Post
Scamming buyers is part of the game. Going into this you are going to have to accept the fact that you will get scammed a few times. For something expensive, there is a certain form that eBay makes you fill out to get your money back. I remember this happened to me once and was told to fill out a what I think was some sort of Federal form and then send them screenshots of the completed form... I was then refunded the full amount.
That was likely a Fraud Affidavit or "Affidavit of Loss" which is a legal form that basically certifies the fact your suffered some sort of loss or were the victim of a criminal act. This form usually needs to be notarized, and can also be obtained from most Police Departments, Courthouses, or an Attorney.