eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Can no longer list new items, Req VAT Number (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/124116-can-no-longer-list-new-items-req-vat-number.html)

socialchaos 02-18-2019 01:51 PM

Can no longer list new items, Req VAT Number

eBay have restricted me from selling due to hitting the threshold. They have said they need a letter from HMRC to prove my exemption, however my circumstances are unique

- My company liquidated in August 2018
- New company took over the eBay account in August 2018
- Have been selling for 4 months without any trouble
- Suddenly hit with VAT number request this month

Have done this before, successfully on another account by providing documents from HMRC stating I dont need to be vat reg as its a new co. and turnover is less than 85k. This time they're not listening and are often misinterpreting my English (Filipino staff!) saying I need a VAT number. This is a successful account with aged listings and high limits 20k/2million.

Would rather not lose acct, has anyone experienced this?

walkingupwards 02-18-2019 02:55 PM

Re: Can no longer list new items, Req VAT Number

You have to options now:

1. Supply a real VAT document from HMRC.

2. Get creative.

A lot of sellers in Germany have been making a lot of noise and complaining to the German version of the IRS (Finanzamt) about sales tax evasion by foreign sellers (especially China). I think Germany initially wanted to force eBay and Amazon to collect VAT on its behalf from sellers, but later settled with this new requirement.

This new VAT requirement is fairly new in all Europe. Nobody knows if this will get double-checked by authorities in the future (I have a strong believe they will, otherwise it wouldn't have been imposed in the first place).

socialchaos 02-20-2019 02:18 AM

Re: Can no longer list new items, Req VAT Number

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinsoldier (Post 979876)
I can sort of see where ebay are coming from.

They would expect a new company to open a new account - you cannot sell or transfer accounts to a new owner/company.

So they're saying 'as far as we are concerned this is the same owner or its VAT evasion, either way, give us a number.'

HMRC are watching them, and Amazon, very carefully at the moment. I can understand them being cautious.

I get that, but they have accepted similar paperwork on another account and recognise it's a new co. Suppose it will take some persistence in this case