eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Hurdles to expanding an eBay business? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/128001-hurdles-expanding-ebay-business.html)

walkingupwards 07-17-2019 12:46 PM

Hurdles to expanding an eBay business?

Let's say your eBay business has grown very well and you have thousands of packages to ship on daily basis.

How would it be possible to hire someone to run your business without that person stealing/copying the whole business model?

nickopedia 07-17-2019 01:03 PM

Re: Hurdles to expanding an eBay business?

What's really stopping anyone from starting a business?

Usually, it all comes down to money, or lack of it.

The people working for you might not have enough capital to start an enterprise quite like yours and are there to make a salary.

Some employers have NDA's but they are rarely enforced since 99% of the employees who sign there have no intention of doing anything other than working a day job. The 1% who do are unlikely to be a problem if you have reached a significant enough scale.

Also, let's be frank, there really isn't the level of complexity to this business model to worry about it; it's mainly shipping/receiving/warehousing/inventory best practices. The only thing you have that might be worth something is you lists of suppliers, or product sources.

walkingupwards 07-17-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickopedia (Post 1019633)
Also, let's be frank, there really isn't the level of complexity to this business model to worry about it; it's mainly shipping/receiving/warehousing/inventory best practices. The only thing you have that might be worth something is you lists of suppliers, or product sources.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If I hire someone (Supposing my business has grown so big) to handle receiving the imports...etc, they will have direct access to the list of suppliers...etc. So what would stop that manager from replicating the whole thing by simply taking a loan or something?

You know, I see some big sellers on eBay, but after researching them a bit (Facebook...etc), I came to the conclusion that all of them are running their businesses by themselves.

It would be great having a big eBay business that produces positive cash flow and is put on autopilot so that the owner could then have enough time to invest that cash flow somewhere else :cheer:

Giving someone direct access to the eBay account is also a big no-no :deadhorse:

nickopedia 07-17-2019 01:44 PM

If you are running a business of any significance, your supplier lists, accounts, and financials are obviously off-limits to your employees. It's common sense. The whole concept of Departmentalization was taught in my 1st semester business school class.

At the end of the day it comes to to trust. What type of people who you will be comfortable working in your company? Do you desire a partner? What roles and responsibilities will you share in the business? Have you given any thought to that?

These are all very important questions, but not really that complicated. Just try you best to employ people you can trust, and yet keep an eye on while working with them.

SaiJin 07-17-2019 03:11 PM

it's hard to control.

How about hiring people to pack and ship and you don't give the account access to them?

agent006140 07-17-2019 03:16 PM

if your employees starts his business competing against you,there are start up cost and his prices have to be competitive ,which means it can't be more than yours.
It all comes down to what is better,a paycheck from you with no worry of disputes,chargeback,haggling with suppliers and the chance of losing money as well as making money.
what happens is that he may run his business as a sideshow and still work for you.
You can always hire your kids,mom,in laws to work for you.

nickopedia 07-17-2019 03:24 PM

I know from experience having run several companies that it all comes down to trust and how well you GET ALONG with your partners/employees.

If you are the kind of person who doesn't deal well with different points of view, or doesn't have an open mind, then bringing in others might not be such a good option.

SaiJin 07-17-2019 06:43 PM

I don't think it's about doing "nothing".
At certain stage you want a business to run efficiently. It only makes sense.

nickopedia 07-17-2019 07:24 PM

And another misconception is the "boss" is sitting behind a desk smoking a cigar and doing nothing. Ha!

The "boss" is YOU, and if you stop working things will fall and crash fast. Having others manage it for you? Are you prepared for pay for that extra human capital?

I've worked both sides of the spectrum and I can tell you that being BOSS is not always good, nor pleasant. It's one hell of a kick in the pants, if anything.

haiauphisu15 07-17-2019 07:33 PM

I am getting to the point where I am too busy with orders and have no tine for business development which need time to list all stock I am having. Anyone have any advise on how to deal with this?

agent006140 07-17-2019 08:51 PM

you would not be able to attract good workers as you cant offer them, career advancement,healthcare insurance for them and their family,pension or 401K,vacation,sick pay,overtime pay,free meals,professional training,tuition reimbursement.
the only way they can advance is to steal your vendor list and know how and start their own business!
so you should hire people who are not ambitious,do not steal as they have steady income from their savings,retirement,spouse and lots of energy and drive-elderly who can still work,immigrants legal and illegal,bored housewife ,disabled men and women.
or kids under 18 .
or people who cant afford a computer and camera or smart phone or too stupid to use one !

SaiJin 07-17-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haiauphisu15 (Post 1019734)
I am getting to the point where I am too busy with orders and have no tine for business development which need time to list all stock I am having. Anyone have any advise on how to deal with this?

Frankly it's really not that difficult to figure out.
YOu can hire a manager that knows what he's doing and if he does well, offer him a partnership so he stays.

But a business that you don't run won't run efficiently regardless.

There's no boss who just stands idle.

drphilofebay 07-18-2019 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickopedia (Post 1019732)
And another misconception is the "boss" is sitting behind a desk smoking a cigar and doing nothing. Ha!

The "boss" is YOU, and if you stop working things will fall and crash fast. Having others manage it for you? Are you prepared for pay for that extra human capital?

I've worked both sides of the spectrum and I can tell you that being BOSS is not always good, nor pleasant. It's one hell of a kick in the pants, if anything.

Not sure anyone thinks of a boss like that, but ok.

agent006140 07-18-2019 07:43 AM

sell your business if you dont have time to run it anymore.
or groom one of your employee to takeover and give him an equity share in the business,eventually he could buy you out