Getting scammed by buyer - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-23-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 85%
Default Getting scammed by buyer

Hey i think I'm getting scammed by a buyer. I sold an iPhone to him. I always ship my phone's with a passcode and never had a problem from the several years I've sold. This guy's instantly opens up not as described and asking for return. After i give him the credentials he cuts off contact and stops responding. So i call ebay and they see what's going on. They told me to accept the return request in which i did. This guy waits until the very last day, for the due date to mail the item back, to upload a tracking number when I've already provided a label for him. Now that he's uploaded a tracking number, he hasn't even attempted to mail my phone back. It's been five days now. The due date for him to mail the phone back was the 17th. He uploaded tracking on that same day. Now he's just sitting. He knows what he is doing too. An experienced scammer. He's an heavy iPhone buyer from looking at his feedback. So how do i close this? I've called eBay about five times. How long do i have to wait? The buyers should have a deadline for tracking to show shipped and not just let the case be on going like this. $300 is alot of money to me. I want to find out if this guy has other eBay accounts he sells from so i can do him the same way. I don't think I'm getting the phone back. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by warriorpluto; 09-23-2019 at 09:36 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-23-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Getting scammed by buyer

If the buyer doesn't ship the case will automatically close after about a month. Unfortunately eBay will allow the buyer to ship the item any time during that period, or even after the case closes, and you'll still be obligated to send at least a partial refund when tracking shows the return is delivered.

When a return case closes due to inactivity, there's a note from eBay saying "the buyer may still return the item" or something similar. So just because a case finally closes, you aren't in the clear.

I don't really know what advice to give. If it were me I'd make a recording if/when you open their return shipment in case they ship you a rock or an empty box.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
warriorpluto (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
If the buyer doesn't ship the case will automatically close after about a month. Unfortunately eBay will allow the buyer to ship the item any time during that period, or even after the case closes, and you'll still be obligated to send at least a partial refund when tracking shows the return is delivered.

When a return case closes due to inactivity, there's a note from eBay saying "the buyer may still return the item" or something similar. So just because a case finally closes, you aren't in the clear.

I don't really know what advice to give. If it were me I'd make a recording if/when you open their return shipment in case they ship you a rock or an empty box.
Thanks for the advice. Im signed up with all mail carriers with my address so i get a text to my phone when anything is mailed to me. I think i may record the package being opened before the mailman leaves.
Old 09-23-2019

Thanked 1,108 Times in 1,044 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

if he is a frequent buyer of phones and yours is only $300 and he is not sending it back,he could be selling it either on EBAY or elsewhere.
could be Ebay,FB or god knows where?
I guess filing INAD is preemptive strike in case the phone is not sold and cc statement comes due
Old 09-23-2019

or buying a covered put option
Old 09-23-2019

Longevity: 69%

This happens all the time. Call eBay and they will close the case. Also I am a high volume iPhone buyer/seller, can you PM me the buyer info? Maybe I can help you find him.
Old 09-23-2019

Longevity: 69%

Honestly though, many people buying iPhones don't read English. Maybe when he recieved the phone with the passcode, he immediately opened case. Then when you sent him the passcode he just forgot about it. Not necessarily a scammer. There are some incredibly stupid people buying phones on eBay the last year or two. REally maybe can't read English and too stupid to use google translate
Old 09-23-2019

he said his buyer buys many phones,so he cant be a rookie.
Old 09-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post

are you sure 30 days to return an item for domestic order?
The shipping label would be domestic and it wont be any good after x number of days.
Buyer could be a reseller and $300 phone,he should have no problem selling it,if so,he wont be returning it and he may not close the case either in case his buyer wants to return the phone.
Old 09-24-2019

Longevity: 28%

are his paypal and ebay on the same name?

if he is a exp scammer he might just have the iphone dropped on any name and is using stealth paypal hoping to get his money back aswell

i would call paypal and explain them the case, if you are lucky they will suspend his account at least temporarily