tracking number question? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 10-20-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 89%
Default tracking number question?

i sell products that cost 0.44 cents to send domestically, and only make a $3.00-$7.00 profit without purchasing a tracking number. when i purchase a tracking number, the total shipping comes out to $1.41 is it a good idea to just send the item for just a regular stamp price of 44 cents or should i always purchase a tracking number , to keep my ebay protected , if someone try's to say they dident receive the item. is it a must to have a tracking number, if so what other thing can happen? thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-20-2009
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 91%

it seems like u answered your own question...
Old 10-20-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Personally, I would want to preserve the longevity of my account. I would ship with tracking *until* PP wanted tracking info. After they've asked for it and confirmed everything is fine, I would stop paying the extra expense. They are unlikely to ask you again if it checks out the first time. This does not cover any new *type* of item you list in the future, though.

Example:
Ship widget A with tracking until they want confirmation, then drop the tracking.
If you list a widget B, put tracking on B but don't bother putting tracking on A again.
After they request tracking confirmation for B, drop the tracking on B as well.
If you list a widget C, track it until PP clears that too.
Etc.
If any of your buyers ever claim an item not received, just apologize for the 'mixup' and give them a refund - no questions asked.
Old 10-20-2009

i only get Del. Confirmation on items over $15 or if it is in NY as been scammed too much there .. the volume is the key as tracking can cost $100s a month even if you lost a item or two the money you saved would be huge .
Old 10-20-2009
Vicvelcro

But we're talking about appeasing PP here. Not the actual loss of funds. I say it's worth it to use tracking until PP is off your back. What, 80 cents on 20 items, maybe. So 16 bux worth of tracking. By that time, PP will ask for the proof of delivery. I give it to them because I was smart enough to have it, already knowing they are going to want it.

After I'm in the clear, I stop paying for tracking on cheap stuff. The tracking wasn't to keep people honest, it was for 'the man'.
Old 10-20-2009
Threadstarter  

Default kinda confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvelcro View Post
Personally, I would want to preserve the longevity of my account. I would ship with tracking *until* PP wanted tracking info. After they've asked for it and confirmed everything is fine, I would stop paying the extra expense. They are unlikely to ask you again if it checks out the first time. This does not cover any new *type* of item you list in the future, though.

Example:
Ship widget A with tracking until they want confirmation, then drop the tracking.
If you list a widget B, put tracking on B but don't bother putting tracking on A again.
After they request tracking confirmation for B, drop the tracking on B as well.
If you list a widget C, track it until PP clears that too.
Etc.
If any of your buyers ever claim an item not received, just apologize for the 'mixup' and give them a refund - no questions asked.
im kinda confused on the example you used, are you talking about pp putting a hold on the funds. and them asking for a tracking number in oder for them to realease the funds?
Old 10-21-2009

sorry didnt understand your talking baout a new account , my paypal is 10 years old
Old 10-21-2009
Vicvelcro

No. I'm talking about exactly what I said. Read each word. Starting at the top, left to right, when you get to the end of a line, go down and start again from the left.

Don't skip words or speed read my posts. I communicate clearly. Every word and every punctuation mark matters.

The original post never said anything about holds. I am not talking about holds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaljunkie View Post
im kinda confused on the example you used, are you talking about pp putting a hold on the funds. and them asking for a tracking number in oder for them to realease the funds?

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 10-21-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2009

Longevity: 84%

you know you dont have to technically pay for tracking numbers right? if you have an Automated Postal Center machine at your post office (USPS), you can use that, and choose not to add a tracking number. Then slap one on there anyway when you go to put the item in the drop box. they seem to scan them out at each stop anyway figuring you paid for them if they are on the package!!

and how to get the tracking numbers? i usually go to mail my stuff after hours at the post office... if they have an APC at your post office, most lobbies are open 24 hours because of people who have PO Boxes. they almost 100% of the time have a stack of tracking numbers for people to use on their packages with all the forms people can fill out if shipping internationally etc.... i just grab a whole BUNCH of them so i dont have to pay for tracking and put it on before i go to ship my stuff out =)
Old 10-21-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

^^^^^^^^^^^
OR
Do online shipping and get Delivery Confirmation for FREE....
Old 10-22-2009

In 10 years and over 30,000 items shipped , i have never added a tracking number to a paypal transaction unless a paypal dispute is filed ,and if i dont have one and they decide against me , i call and complain and 3 out of 4 times they credit the money back to my account.. I also use the APC for my shipping as the post office is 2 blocks away and i have to go there to ship my international anyway and i save about $150-200 a month in supplies.
Old 10-22-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonton View Post
In 10 years and over 30,000 items shipped , i have never added a tracking number to a paypal transaction unless a paypal dispute is filed ,and if i dont have one and they decide against me , i call and complain and 3 out of 4 times they credit the money back to my account.. I also use the APC for my shipping as the post office is 2 blocks away and i have to go there to ship my international anyway and i save about $150-200 a month in supplies.
what does APC stand for ?
Old 10-22-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here We Go Again View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
OR
Do online shipping and get Delivery Confirmation for FREE....
are you talking about shipping it through paypal or u.s.p.s.com web site to get free Delivery Confirmation? also if my package only requires a .44 cent stamp can i still get free Delivery Confirmation for this or does it have to weigh a certain size?