Buyer opened an SNAD case for an item for spares or repair - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 04-26-2021

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 22%
Default Buyer opened an SNAD case for an item for spares or repair

I sold a laptop on eBay for faulty / sold as seen / spares or repair. I wrote a clear, honest, comprehensive description of it as well as taking and uploading a lot of clear photos of the laptop, also set the returns "No returns accepted" as well as setting the item condition to "For parts or repair". I also stated this both in the listing title and description so I know whoever buys this knows 100% what they're buying and no returns accepted. I wrote in the description any cosmetic issues it has as well as any known faults, i stated that I think the graphics card has failed (artefact's on screen) but also stated that it is strictly sold as seen and other faults may exist. I gave an accurate honest description of the laptop I was selling.

A buyer buys it and after a few days of receiving it he opened a SNAD case stating it doesn't match the description or photos. He stated that he tried to installed graphics card driver and they did not work and said he thinks the screen is faulty. I told him it was sold as seen but he said it does not match the description as I said it was the graphics card that was faulty. I spoke to ebay over the phone and live chat and not to my surprise they were not useful in the slightest as all they said was they can't prevent the buyer from opening a case and I can't decline it. I tried to argue that it was listed as for parts or repair and no returns accepted and the buyer stated the screen was faulty is not true as my photos disprove that but eBay just said they can't be the judge as there is insufficient evidence. (which I think is crazy)

I succumb to the fact that I have to accept the case and take the hit for the postage (which wasn't cheap), return postage, block the buyer and move on. However, eBay needs to realise this and change their policies as it will encourage more buyers to open cases for fraudulent reasons. What I'm most frustrated about is that buyers take advantage and misuse eBay's return policy. In fact, this buyer also sells faulty items himself so he knows fine well there are no returns and it was sold as seen.

So my question is, has anyone here ever had any luck convincing eBay to overturn a SNAD case in favour of the seller?

I know most of eBay's procedures in cases are automated so I was also wondering;

What happens if I don't accept a case and I escalate a case to eBay to review? I have been told they will do one of two things:

Close the case in favour of the buyer without the need to return the item.
Close the case in favour of the seller.

I have read somewhere that if a seller escalates a case, eBay presumes they no longer want the item back regardless of the case outcome, is this true? If it is then sellers are massively disadvantaged.

Last edited by jhkenparadise; 04-26-2021 at 04:37 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-26-2021

Longevity: 79%
Default Re: Buyer opened an SNAD case for an item for spares or repair

sorry, but there is VERY little chance ebay would EVER side with the seller. Ebay money back guarantee means they can return it, period. Only time I've won is if ebay suspends the guy.
Old 04-27-2021
Threadstarter  

thanks, that's what i thought. It's ridiculous that eBay allows buyers to take the piss and abuse their returns policy. do you know what happens when a seller escalates a case and eBay sides with the buyer? do eBay still ask the buyer to post the item back or do they automatically close the case in favour of the buyer without the need to return the item?
Old 04-27-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkenparadise View Post
thanks, that's what i thought. It's ridiculous that eBay allows buyers to take the piss and abuse their returns policy. do you know what happens when a seller escalates a case and eBay sides with the buyer? do eBay still ask the buyer to post the item back or do they automatically close the case in favour of the buyer without the need to return the item?
Typically ask buyer to post item back
Old 04-27-2021

Longevity: 38%

When selling for parts, DO NOT give a breakdown of what you think works and what doesn't. As soon as you start putting things in the description, it gives the buyer something to work with for a return. I know most people to list it all out so they can eek out the most money, but if you have problems with returns... DON'T!

Quote:
He stated that he tried to installed graphics card driver
Not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US the little part I quoted is enough for you to not have to accept a return. Buyers aren't allowed to open devices and then return them.
Old 04-27-2021

Longevity: 53%

Ebay never digs into the details. Whatever the buyer says is always accepted, as ebay does not loose any money if they force a return - you or PayPal does. So you have to accept it and move on.
Old 04-27-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzie View Post
Ebay never digs into the details. Whatever the buyer says is always accepted, as ebay does not loose any money if they force a return - you or PayPal does. So you have to accept it and move on.
Nonsense... you people give up too easy.

And you're also wrong. eBay has a specific account they provide "courtesy one-time refunds" from. At least in the US.

Last edited by ebaystealth1974; 04-27-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2021

Longevity: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaystealth1974 View Post

Not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US the little part I quoted is enough for you to not have to accept a return. Buyers aren't allowed to open devices and then return them.
They didn't open it, they tried to install drivers.

In any event, I would push ebay on this one, there's a good chance it can be argued and ebay may, although should not required, fund the whole transaction or at the very least fund the return. All at the fee payers expense when it really shouldn't be necessary.
Old 04-27-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
They didn't open it, they tried to install drivers.
Shiit... all I saw was graphics card!
Old 04-27-2021

Quote:
When selling for parts, DO NOT give a breakdown of what you think works and what doesn't. As soon as you start putting things in the description, it gives the buyer something to work with for a return. I know most people to list it all out so they can eek out the most money, but if you have problems with returns... DON'T!

ok but, why would a buyer NEED something to work with for a return? They can return it no matter what. The only time this wouldn't work is if you have no returns, and they open up a remorse return.
Old 04-27-2021

Quote:

don't know where you got this, but of course buyers are allowed to do anything to the device and then return it.
Old 04-27-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
don't know where you got this, but of course buyers are allowed to do anything to the device and then return it.
I got it from my own personal experience. Along with many others.

Last edited by ebaystealth1974; 04-27-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2021

Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,040 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

Ebay USA has a category for electronics (used for scrap and parts) and there is no INAD,but it does not stop buyers to buy an item and hope it works fine,sometimes seller would list a working item there just to avoid controversy.
where did you list the item ,?
Old 04-27-2021

Quote:
I got it from my own personal experience. Along with many others.
Funny, because my experience has been literally the complete and total opposite in every conceivable way, of the experience you're describing
Old 04-27-2021
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,547 Times in 2,200 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%

Here's the short version of it... buyer opens SNAD, buyer wins. 99% of the time.
Old 04-28-2021

Longevity: 53%

Quote:
Nonsense... you people give up too easy.

And you're also wrong. eBay has a specific account they provide "courtesy one-time refunds" from. At least in the US.
Customer can make up any reason and return the item, we all know that. As the ebay dispute resolution is extremely retarded process, there is a risk that in case of the dispute they will just let the buyer keep the item and close the case. And if a miracle happens and the buyer will loose the case - he just goes to PayPal that stands with the buyer in 99% cases and wins it there. So in the long term, fighting cases seems just a waste of time. I once lost a 3000 GBP worth item like this:

1) Message 1 : Please provide buyer with a return label
2) Five minutes later : Message 2 : Please wait, we are looking into the case, do not provide a label

I waited few days and case got closed because I didn't provide label. I asked ebay WTF! And pointed to my message history where these messages go in the order mentioned above, while at their backend they seemed to go in the opposite order. They saw this... but just said "sorry about that, we see a technical error, but appeal still not possible". So how can I rely on such a crappy system... better to accept returns in any case, as not accepting them and arguing will most likely lead to money lost.
Old 04-28-2021

Longevity: 52%

Two things you can do here.....

1) Send him some dog crap in a box

2) Save him and if he ever lists anything, buy it and return it for an equally stupid reason so he can foot the bill.

I detest A-Hole buyers with a passion !

Last edited by dishmachine; 04-28-2021 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishmachine View Post
Two things you can do here.....

1) Send him some dog crap in a box

2) Save him and if he ever lists anything, buy it and return it for an equally stupid reason so he can foot the bill.

I detest A-Hole buyers with a passion !
Number 2 is a sweet vendetta
Old 04-28-2021
Threadstarter  

thanks for all your replies!

I'm in the UK.

My intention for writing a detailed description is to be fully transparent/honest, so the buyer knows 100% what they're buying. besides it was a buy it now and i had no intention of changing the price so there was no financial gain from my end in writing a longer description. (it was also sold within a few days of listing it so I know it was fairly priced) Didn't think people would take advantage of that and use it against me to strengthen their claim.

I guess when I do sell something next time the best bet is to be vague, i know buyers who know the system will still be able to open a case regardless of description, but it might put a few people off.

I know here in the UK you can't decline cases when buyers have selected the following reasons; doesn't match description or photos, doesn't work or is defective, arrived damaged, doesn't seem authentic, missing parts, or wrong item sent.

Despite calling eBay to tell them that my photos disprove the buyers claims where he said he thinks the screen is faulty, they are just not interested and said they can't stop a buyer from returning an item.

I rarely use ebay but this experience has put me off using it again for expensive items. I know I won't win an appeal so I've just accepted the case. it will be a hard one to swallow though.

Last edited by jhkenparadise; 04-28-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Number 2 is a sweet vendetta
lol done it...
Old 04-28-2021

Quote:
thanks for all your replies!

I'm in the UK.

My intention of writing a detailed description is to be fully transparent/honest, so the buyer knows 100% what they're buying.
LOL. .... hold on. hold on. You thought buyers would actually read the description? I'm lucky if they read the title.

"blah blah blah medium red upsidedown".

"seller lied! This was not a large blue rightside up!!!".
Old 04-28-2021

Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,040 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

Loose lips sink ship!
There is an Ebay USA category for scraps and parts,seller list items there and BUYER cannot file INAD,unless it is completely different ,like you say laptop and then ship a rock .see if there is one on Ebay UK