eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Do ebay spy on you and hold records even when you decline cookies? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/149190-do-ebay-spy-you-hold-records-even-when-you-decline-cookies.html)

starengine 12-01-2022 09:30 AM

Do ebay spy on you and hold records even when you decline cookies?

I launch ebay in an incognito browser.
I decline everything.
I don't login as a user.
I browse ebay.
QUESTION: do they STILL store details about me?? :eek:
That would break rules surely??

While searching something yesterday, I found an article from 2020 that said ebay's website monitors web sockets - so they know if you are using remote control to control the machine you are accessing from.
The guy who wrote the article (a PHD student) proved this by looking at the Javascript code in the browser.
WTF!

samspalace 12-01-2022 08:09 PM

Re: Do ebay spy on you and hold records even when you decline cookies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by starengine (Post 1206379)
I decline everything.
I don't login as a user.
I browse ebay.

While searching something yesterday, I found an article from 2020 that said ebay's website monitors web sockets - so they know if you are using remote control to control the machine you are accessing from.
The guy who wrote the article (a PHD student) proved this by looking at the Javascript code in the browser.
WTF!

Theirs no need to complicate things just use a new user and Firefox browser.

SaiJin 12-01-2022 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starengine (Post 1206379)
I decline everything.
I don't login as a user.
I browse ebay.

WTF!

Of course they still store details....

And you using all the above is just gonna get your accounts toasted

starengine 12-02-2022 06:26 AM

Maybe I explained incorrectly.
If a someone simply browses in incognito and chooses not to cookie prompts and simply searches and does nothing else...
Do ebay store details of anonymous searching for xyz products at 123.123.123.123 ip?
Surely that's illegal since the user has declined storage and tracking in the first instance?
(Or have I made my question more complicated? LOL)

Icecolder2 12-02-2022 06:45 AM

Cookies and ip are yesterday news. They are still important but they use browser fingerprint these days. And it doesnt matter different pc users, different browsers and etc, it will give away same fingerprint because actually it is not a browser fingerprint - its a pc fingerprint. They can not entirely relay on fingerprinting pc to identify user 100% because several machines can have same fingerprint, but as advertising tool this is very powerful thing because you can delete cookies, change ip and change browser and they will still be able to send you a list of things which you might be interested to buy. And if by a chance it is not you - nothing really happens, you just get random stuff offers and you even do not pay attention.
They been experimenting on that a lot 6-7 years ago but did not use it as an extra security layer to identify users. Now like 1 year ago they started to use it for users identification and this leads to lots of suspensions. This is why you see all these posts "i changed everything but still getting suspended immediately". I was at the same boat until started to modify pc figerprints on every user and first day suspensions nearly go away.

So answer in short - yes, they can identify pc but not with 100% accuracy.

rsot 12-02-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icecolder2 (Post 1206437)

So answer in short - yes, they can identify pc but not with 100% accuracy.

Duly noted in present times