eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe
     

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   conned by buyer (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/154558-conned-buyer.html)

firebriar 08-09-2026 10:28 PM

conned by buyer
 
I sold a gift card physical not digital. (shipped it to the buyer. he receives it and scratches the code and sends me pictures saying code has been redeemed by someone else. this gift card was double sealed in the package and could not have been used plus the buyer stated that he scratched it off and entered the code. he states the game company is telling him that the code has been redeemed.

he started a dispute for a refund. I reported him to ebay. am I screwed or is it a chance of this going in my favor?

Rodrigue7 08-09-2026 11:00 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
If I were in your position, I would contact the company myself as soon as possible and ask them to provide the exact date and time when the code was used.
You can then send a copy of their response to eBay.

What is the buyer's account creation date?

firebriar 08-09-2026 11:22 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrigue7 (Post 1270585)
If I were in your position, I would contact the company myself as soon as possible and ask them to provide the exact date and time when the code was used.
You can then send a copy of their response to eBay.

What is the buyer's account creation date?

I will check on the buyers account creation date tomorrow but I do know the are a seller. they have a pokemon card listed now. if this doesn't got in my favor or if I have to refund them or choose to refund. I will wait 8 months if I have to a purchase from them and then get my revenge!

firebriar 08-09-2026 11:29 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrigue7 (Post 1270585)
If I were in your position, I would contact the company myself as soon as possible and ask them to provide the exact date and time when the code was used.
You can then send a copy of their response to eBay.

What is the buyer's account creation date?

I will check on the buyers account creation date tomorrow but I do know the are a seller. they have a pokemon card listed now. if this doesn't got in my favor or if I have to refund them or choose to refund. I will wait 8 months if I have to just so I can purchase from them and then get... REVENGE!

murdered_by_ebay 08-10-2026 12:20 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
if they are a seller on ebay just report them for counterfeits , report them a few thousand times from various accounts and continue doing it constantly every day

phaz0rz 08-10-2026 08:57 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay (Post 1270588)
if they are a seller on ebay just report them for counterfeits , report them a few thousand times from various accounts and continue doing it constantly every day


Scammy behavior like that won't get you very far with eBay.

rsot 08-10-2026 09:08 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebriar (Post 1270583)
I sold a gift card physical not digital. (shipped it to the buyer. he receives it and scratches the code and sends me pictures saying code has been redeemed by someone else. this gift card was double sealed in the package and could not have been used plus the buyer stated that he scratched it off and entered the code. he states the game company is telling him that the code has been redeemed.

he started a dispute for a refund. I reported him to ebay. am I screwed or is it a chance of this going in my favor?

What was the amount of the sale firebriar?

rsot 08-10-2026 09:08 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay (Post 1270588)
if they are a seller on ebay just report them for counterfeits , report them a few thousand times from various accounts and continue doing it constantly every day

Feels way too much effort vs reward...and cost of time.

murdered_by_ebay 08-10-2026 04:08 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 1270600)
Scammy behavior like that won't get you very far with eBay.

reporting people for counterfeits works perfectly fine , no need to buy anything , ebay removes items based on random reports. it just has to be many reports , proof not needed

phaz0rz 08-10-2026 06:38 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay (Post 1270619)
reporting people for counterfeits works perfectly fine , no need to buy anything , ebay removes items based on random reports. it just has to be many reports , proof not needed


I get what you're saying man but it's really not necessary. ;)

SaiJin 08-10-2026 07:39 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
OP, did you figure out the gift card situation?

This is new for me too

agent006140 08-10-2026 07:55 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
could this be a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ gift card?
what does it take to make those cards?

firebriar 08-10-2026 09:22 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 1270627)
could this be a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ gift card?
what does it take to make those cards?

no it's not a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ gift card. I purchased it myself from work and received the activation receipt along with my actual receipt. I've asked 3 other coworkers 2 being managers and they've stated that we've had no complaints or returns

firebriar 08-10-2026 09:30 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaiJin (Post 1270624)
OP, did you figure out the gift card situation?

This is new for me too

ebay is giving me until August 13, 2026 to respond. they've got more than 10 positive feedback but less than 30. no negatives or neutrals. they have been on ebay for more than 2 years but less than 10. I still haven't received word from ebay on the status of my report for reporting a buyer. I just see that return requested . Resolve this request by Aug 13 The buyer reported an issue with the item. You can choose how you'd like to respond to their request.

If you don't resolve this request by Aug 13, the buyer can ask us to step in and help.

Return Reason
Doesn't match description or photos

Comments
buyers comments about purchasing a physical gift card. that advertised as new. it arrived with the pin scratch off area intact. i personally scratched it, but company immediately says the code has been already redeemed.

How would you like to proceed?
Accept the return

Offer a full or partial refund.

this has me bummed out and pissed off!

firebriar 08-10-2026 09:36 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
even if they are telling the truth. how is it my fault? they're in touch with the company that the card offers service for

murdered_by_ebay 08-11-2026 06:23 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
what is the amount?

agent006140 08-11-2026 07:43 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebriar (Post 1270631)
even if they are telling the truth. how is it my fault? they're in touch with the company that the card offers service for

You are the seller,you are responsible for the integrity of product and services you offer on a sales forum.
You should get in touch with the seller (whoever sold or give you the card) and learn the truth.
where did you get the card?
You will probably lose the case ,as Ebay AI will refund him in full,provide a shipping label for him to return the card,you will pay the return shipping.
When you get the card back,you can contact whoever sold you the card .

firebriar 08-11-2026 10:36 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 1270644)
You are the seller,you are responsible for the integrity of product and services you offer on a sales forum.
You should get in touch with the seller (whoever sold or give you the card) and learn the truth.
where did you get the card?
You will probably lose the case ,as Ebay AI will refund him in full,provide a shipping label for him to return the card,you will pay the return shipping.
When you get the card back,you can contact whoever sold you the card .

do you not pay attention? I PURCHASED THE CARD FROM THE STORE I WORK AT! I PICKED THE CARD OUT BROUGHT IT TO THE REGISTER AND PURCHASED IT AND RECEIVED AN ACTIVATION RECEIPT ALONG WITH MY REGULAR RECEIPT. DAMN READ - COMPREHEND - THEN READ AGAIN

firebriar 08-12-2026 02:01 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
sad part is he gave me positive feedback the day of purchasing. so I may just refund him and let him keep it since I will most likely lose the case

agent006140 08-12-2026 06:56 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebriar (Post 1270666)
do you not pay attention? I PURCHASED THE CARD FROM THE STORE I WORK AT! I PICKED THE CARD OUT BROUGHT IT TO THE REGISTER AND PURCHASED IT AND RECEIVED AN ACTIVATION RECEIPT ALONG WITH MY REGULAR RECEIPT. DAMN READ - COMPREHEND - THEN READ AGAIN

dont take it out on me,it is your loss,not mine,ENJOY YOUR LOSS AND TAKE A LESSON IN HUMILITY !
It means nothing,i would say you shoplift that card and KARMA STRIKES,you get punished for your deed !

agent006140 08-12-2026 07:01 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebriar (Post 1270666)
do you not pay attention? I PURCHASED THE CARD FROM THE STORE I WORK AT! I PICKED THE CARD OUT BROUGHT IT TO THE REGISTER AND PURCHASED IT AND RECEIVED AN ACTIVATION RECEIPT ALONG WITH MY REGULAR RECEIPT. DAMN READ - COMPREHEND - THEN READ AGAIN

Then go back to the store or just eat the loss,no need to comprehend your petty experience

Automasters 08-12-2026 07:08 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
More crap like this is happening recently, I think it's the economy fueling more scam artists...

agent006140 08-12-2026 07:21 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Automasters (Post 1270673)
More crap like this is happening recently, I think it's the economy fueling more scam artists...

It is common on Ebay,you sent something with no tracking and the buyer would say I did not get it !
or with buyer remorse,if you do not accept return,they will just file INAD and make you pay return shipping.
But if one files too many disputes,Ebay could disable his buying privilege, a buyer who lived in rural Mexico buy cheap trinklets on Ebay ,sellers would just ship first class mail with no tracking and they are often stolen,so she filed many IND,finally Ebay said she is a hazard to Ebay seller community and would not let her buy anymore.

rsot 08-12-2026 08:07 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
firebriar, you still haven't written how much was the value/cost of this buyer con.

SaiJin 08-12-2026 08:32 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebriar (Post 1270631)
even if they are telling the truth. how is it my fault? they're in touch with the company that the card offers service for

I know…. It’s not.

It’s just that since you’re the seller the responsibility is yours even if he’s telling the truth.

I think the best thing to do is to show proof from the GC company that the buyer is pulling an elaborate trick. But you should prepare mentally that eBay may still side with the buyer :/

agent006140 08-12-2026 09:50 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Automasters (Post 1270673)
More crap like this is happening recently, I think it's the economy fueling more scam artists...

Bessent was on TV saying he is tired of all the bad news that people are not doing well and only the top 10% is enjoying a good life !
Is pedicure and manicure discretionary or non discretionary?
Our local manicurists said their income went from $1k a week to $400 and they cant pay their bills.

phaz0rz 08-12-2026 11:32 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
All small businesses are dying, it's not just the Vietnamese nail shops.

firebriar 08-12-2026 10:16 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 1270678)
firebriar, you still haven't written how much was the value/cost of this buyer con.

gift card was valued at $50. I gave him a refund and told him to never purchase from me again. I should purchase the item that he has on sale and when it arrives claim that it was damaged and bent. then he'll have to refund me. I may wait some months and do that to him. we shall see

firebriar 08-12-2026 10:25 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 1270670)
dont take it out on me,it is your loss,not mine,ENJOY YOUR LOSS AND TAKE A LESSON IN HUMILITY !
It means nothing,i would say you shoplift that card and KARMA STRIKES,you get punished for your deed !

**** you burn in Hell you're a miserable troll anyways

rsot 08-13-2026 07:17 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebriar (Post 1270714)
gift card was valued at $50. I gave him a refund and told him to never purchase from me again. I should purchase the item that he has on sale and when it arrives claim that it was damaged and bent. then he'll have to refund me. I may wait some months and do that to him. we shall see

I understand - I like that plan actually...why wait some months? Make a new buying account and screw him up "tit for tat"...

rsot 08-13-2026 07:18 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 1270691)
Bessent was on TV saying he is tired of all the bad news that people are not doing well and only the top 10% is enjoying a good life !
Is pedicure and manicure discretionary or non discretionary?
Our local manicurists said their income went from $1k a week to $400 and they cant pay their bills.

That feels like a new thread agent - don't derail hah :focus: jokes

sisyphus 08-13-2026 08:59 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebriar (Post 1270714)
gift card was valued at $50. I gave him a refund and told him to never purchase from me again. I should purchase the item that he has on sale and when it arrives claim that it was damaged and bent. then he'll have to refund me. I may wait some months and do that to him. we shall see

I remember a time where I used to let eBay dispute cases like these make me livid and ruin my whole day. You're actually way better than me tbh. I've thought about doing the same things you mentioned, but also things that I probably would've regretted for years. Thank God I never did because it was objectively never worth the risk-cost. Not even subjectively.

You wanna know what I did do? I would simply dispute my case if I had the option, report their account for whatever was relevant or made sense, then completely detach emotionally from it and go about the rest of my day or get back to orders and work because it's out of my control. If I win the dispute? Great. If I lose? I hope they can use that money for whatever they needed so badly that they have to scam people on eBay to obtain it.

The last thing I would do is add it to my mental-list of eBay scams that I have been involved with and see what I can learn from this situation, ask myself if there was anything I could've done to prevent it, anything I can change in the future to prevent it, asses if it's worth selling this item or type of item again in the future, etc.

I'm going to assume you're not a high-volume seller because most high-volume sellers have a better-developed understanding of the inherent risk that you are taking on by selling on a platform like eBay. You're also too busy and it's objectively not worth your time anymore. You have to be emotionless and detach from the products, money, etc.

If I were you, I would literally tell myself that I learned a $50 lesson/made a $50 mistake. I've actually come to appreciate scammers because they keep me on my toes and help me further strengthen my store! It's hard to lose when you view everything as a win or a lesson

agent006140 08-13-2026 09:53 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Ebay has in the past give the seller $$ out of its pocket,if you are a good seller and it is not a lot of money,you just have to keep nagging them.

phaz0rz 08-13-2026 10:23 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebriar (Post 1270714)
gift card was valued at $50. I gave him a refund and told him to never purchase from me again. I should purchase the item that he has on sale and when it arrives claim that it was damaged and bent. then he'll have to refund me. I may wait some months and do that to him. we shall see

Make sure you add them to your blocked buyer list.

I would've just refunded/blocked them without sending a message. It's best to leave emotions out of business. If a buyer gets me pissed I'll make myself close the message and wait an hour before I respond.. because being emotional is a big threat to your account health.

rsot 08-14-2026 02:14 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 1270749)
Make sure you add them to your blocked buyer list.

I would've just refunded/blocked them without sending a message. It's best to leave emotions out of business. If a buyer gets me pissed I'll make myself close the message and wait an hour before I respond.. because being emotional is a big threat to your account health.

Yes dont forget to add the buyer to the blocked list.

Automasters 08-14-2026 09:39 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Yes, I have a quick shortcut to my block list, it gets used often!

Enid Nathaniei 08-14-2026 08:32 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Sounds like you did the right thing by reporting it, so hopefully eBay reviews the evidence fairly.

SaiJin 08-14-2026 10:32 PM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebriar (Post 1270714)
gift card was valued at $50. I gave him a refund and told him to never purchase from me again. I should purchase the item that he has on sale and when it arrives claim that it was damaged and bent. then he'll have to refund me. I may wait some months and do that to him. we shall see

Next time don't tell him that. Just put them in your block list.

$50 is not much but it's not little either.
However even if it's $1 it'll feel like he violated you.

I get it.

PS: I don't think you need to wait "months".

agent006140 08-15-2026 06:19 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
if his buyer keeps doing this,his buying privilege will be suspended as he is a hazard to Ebay seller community.
As for OP,if he retaliates ,Ebay will also keep record of such.

rsot 08-17-2026 09:37 AM

Re: conned by buyer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 1270826)
if his buyer keeps doing this,his buying privilege will be suspended as he is a hazard to Ebay seller community.
As for OP,if he retaliates ,Ebay will also keep record of such.

He can retaliate from a different account... :FF:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Stop the guessing games and learn how you can quickly and easily get back on eBay today!
Read the best selling step-by-step eBay Suspension guide eBay Stealth!
Rotating Residential Proxies? Head to IPBurger for Residential Proxies
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger