| | |
#1

08-09-2026
| | Senior Member | | Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 181
Thanks: 123
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Activity: 0% Longevity: 9% | | conned by buyer
I sold a gift card physical not digital. (shipped it to the buyer. he receives it and scratches the code and sends me pictures saying code has been redeemed by someone else. this gift card was double sealed in the package and could not have been used plus the buyer stated that he scratched it off and entered the code. he states the game company is telling him that the code has been redeemed.
he started a dispute for a refund. I reported him to ebay. am I screwed or is it a chance of this going in my favor?
Last edited by firebriar; 08-09-2026 at 10:31 PM.
| |
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!
| | | |
#2

08-09-2026
| | Junior Member | | Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Activity: 0% Longevity: 20% | | Re: conned by buyer
If I were in your position, I would contact the company myself as soon as possible and ask them to provide the exact date and time when the code was used.
You can then send a copy of their response to eBay.
What is the buyer's account creation date?
| | The Following User Says Thank You to Rodrigue7 For This Useful Post: | | |
#3

08-09-2026
| | Senior Member
Threadstarter  
| | Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 181
Thanks: 123
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Activity: 0% Longevity: 9% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigue7 If I were in your position, I would contact the company myself as soon as possible and ask them to provide the exact date and time when the code was used.
You can then send a copy of their response to eBay.
What is the buyer's account creation date? | I will check on the buyers account creation date tomorrow but I do know the are a seller. they have a pokemon card listed now. if this doesn't got in my favor or if I have to refund them or choose to refund. I will wait 8 months if I have to a purchase from them and then get my revenge!
| |
#4

08-09-2026
| | Senior Member
Threadstarter  
| | Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 181
Thanks: 123
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Activity: 0% Longevity: 9% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigue7 If I were in your position, I would contact the company myself as soon as possible and ask them to provide the exact date and time when the code was used.
You can then send a copy of their response to eBay.
What is the buyer's account creation date? | I will check on the buyers account creation date tomorrow but I do know the are a seller. they have a pokemon card listed now. if this doesn't got in my favor or if I have to refund them or choose to refund. I will wait 8 months if I have to just so I can purchase from them and then get... REVENGE!
| |
#5

08-10-2026
| | Senior Member | | Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4,033
Thanks: 8
Thanked 835 Times in 692 Posts
Activity: 49% Longevity: 53% | | Re: conned by buyer
if they are a seller on ebay just report them for counterfeits , report them a few thousand times from various accounts and continue doing it constantly every day
| |
#6

08-10-2026
|  | Executive [VIP] | | Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 11,778
Thanks: 2,269
Thanked 4,183 Times in 3,151 Posts
Activity: 96% Longevity: 55% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay if they are a seller on ebay just report them for counterfeits , report them a few thousand times from various accounts and continue doing it constantly every day |
Scammy behavior like that won't get you very far with eBay.
__________________ ____________ _______ ___ | |
#7

08-10-2026
|  | Executive [VIP] | | Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 81,569
Thanks: 6,468
Thanked 9,496 Times in 8,769 Posts
Activity: 100% Longevity: 85% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by firebriar I sold a gift card physical not digital. (shipped it to the buyer. he receives it and scratches the code and sends me pictures saying code has been redeemed by someone else. this gift card was double sealed in the package and could not have been used plus the buyer stated that he scratched it off and entered the code. he states the game company is telling him that the code has been redeemed.
he started a dispute for a refund. I reported him to ebay. am I screwed or is it a chance of this going in my favor? | What was the amount of the sale firebriar?
| |
#8

08-10-2026
|  | Executive [VIP] | | Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 81,569
Thanks: 6,468
Thanked 9,496 Times in 8,769 Posts
Activity: 100% Longevity: 85% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay if they are a seller on ebay just report them for counterfeits , report them a few thousand times from various accounts and continue doing it constantly every day | Feels way too much effort vs reward...and cost of time.
| | The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post: | | |
#9

08-10-2026
| | Senior Member | | Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4,033
Thanks: 8
Thanked 835 Times in 692 Posts
Activity: 49% Longevity: 53% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz Scammy behavior like that won't get you very far with eBay. | reporting people for counterfeits works perfectly fine , no need to buy anything , ebay removes items based on random reports. it just has to be many reports , proof not needed
| | The Following User Says Thank You to murdered_by_ebay For This Useful Post: | | |
#10

08-10-2026
|  | Executive [VIP] | | Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 11,778
Thanks: 2,269
Thanked 4,183 Times in 3,151 Posts
Activity: 96% Longevity: 55% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay reporting people for counterfeits works perfectly fine , no need to buy anything , ebay removes items based on random reports. it just has to be many reports , proof not needed |
I get what you're saying man but it's really not necessary.
__________________ ____________ _______ ___ | | The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post: | | |
#11

08-10-2026
|  | Super Moderator | | Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 17,510
Thanks: 370
Thanked 2,851 Times in 2,458 Posts
Activity: 29% Longevity: 92% | | Re: conned by buyer
OP, did you figure out the gift card situation?
This is new for me too
| |
#12

08-10-2026
|  | Senior Member | | Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15,405
Thanks: 2,172
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,305 Posts
Activity: 92% Longevity: 41% | | Re: conned by buyer
could this be a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ gift card?
what does it take to make those cards?
| |
#13

08-10-2026
| | Senior Member
Threadstarter  
| | Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 181
Thanks: 123
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Activity: 0% Longevity: 9% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 could this be a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ gift card?
what does it take to make those cards? | no it's not a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ gift card. I purchased it myself from work and received the activation receipt along with my actual receipt. I've asked 3 other coworkers 2 being managers and they've stated that we've had no complaints or returns
| |
#14

08-10-2026
| | Senior Member
Threadstarter  
| | Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 181
Thanks: 123
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Activity: 0% Longevity: 9% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin OP, did you figure out the gift card situation?
This is new for me too | ebay is giving me until August 13, 2026 to respond. they've got more than 10 positive feedback but less than 30. no negatives or neutrals. they have been on ebay for more than 2 years but less than 10. I still haven't received word from ebay on the status of my report for reporting a buyer. I just see that return requested . Resolve this request by Aug 13 The buyer reported an issue with the item. You can choose how you'd like to respond to their request.
If you don't resolve this request by Aug 13, the buyer can ask us to step in and help.
Return Reason
Doesn't match description or photos
Comments
buyers comments about purchasing a physical gift card. that advertised as new. it arrived with the pin scratch off area intact. i personally scratched it, but company immediately says the code has been already redeemed.
How would you like to proceed?
Accept the return
Offer a full or partial refund.
this has me bummed out and pissed off!
| |
#15

08-10-2026
| | Senior Member
Threadstarter  
| | Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 181
Thanks: 123
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Activity: 0% Longevity: 9% | | Re: conned by buyer
even if they are telling the truth. how is it my fault? they're in touch with the company that the card offers service for
| |
#16

08-11-2026
| | Senior Member | | Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4,033
Thanks: 8
Thanked 835 Times in 692 Posts
Activity: 49% Longevity: 53% | | Re: conned by buyer
what is the amount?
| |
#17

08-11-2026
|  | Senior Member | | Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15,405
Thanks: 2,172
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,305 Posts
Activity: 92% Longevity: 41% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by firebriar even if they are telling the truth. how is it my fault? they're in touch with the company that the card offers service for | You are the seller,you are responsible for the integrity of product and services you offer on a sales forum.
You should get in touch with the seller (whoever sold or give you the card) and learn the truth.
where did you get the card?
You will probably lose the case ,as Ebay AI will refund him in full,provide a shipping label for him to return the card,you will pay the return shipping.
When you get the card back,you can contact whoever sold you the card .
| |
#18

08-11-2026
| | Senior Member
Threadstarter  
| | Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 181
Thanks: 123
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Activity: 0% Longevity: 9% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 You are the seller,you are responsible for the integrity of product and services you offer on a sales forum.
You should get in touch with the seller (whoever sold or give you the card) and learn the truth.
where did you get the card?
You will probably lose the case ,as Ebay AI will refund him in full,provide a shipping label for him to return the card,you will pay the return shipping.
When you get the card back,you can contact whoever sold you the card . | do you not pay attention? I PURCHASED THE CARD FROM THE STORE I WORK AT! I PICKED THE CARD OUT BROUGHT IT TO THE REGISTER AND PURCHASED IT AND RECEIVED AN ACTIVATION RECEIPT ALONG WITH MY REGULAR RECEIPT. DAMN READ - COMPREHEND - THEN READ AGAIN
| |
#19

08-12-2026
| | Senior Member
Threadstarter  
| | Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 181
Thanks: 123
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Activity: 0% Longevity: 9% | | Re: conned by buyer
sad part is he gave me positive feedback the day of purchasing. so I may just refund him and let him keep it since I will most likely lose the case
| |
#20

08-12-2026
|  | Senior Member | | Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15,405
Thanks: 2,172
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,305 Posts
Activity: 92% Longevity: 41% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by firebriar do you not pay attention? I PURCHASED THE CARD FROM THE STORE I WORK AT! I PICKED THE CARD OUT BROUGHT IT TO THE REGISTER AND PURCHASED IT AND RECEIVED AN ACTIVATION RECEIPT ALONG WITH MY REGULAR RECEIPT. DAMN READ - COMPREHEND - THEN READ AGAIN | dont take it out on me,it is your loss,not mine,ENJOY YOUR LOSS AND TAKE A LESSON IN HUMILITY !
It means nothing,i would say you shoplift that card and KARMA STRIKES,you get punished for your deed !
| |
#21

08-12-2026
|  | Senior Member | | Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15,405
Thanks: 2,172
Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,305 Posts
Activity: 92% Longevity: 41% | | Re: conned by buyer Quote:
Originally Posted by firebriar do you not pay attention? I PURCHASED THE CARD FROM THE STORE I WORK AT! I PICKED THE CARD OUT BROUGHT IT TO THE REGISTER AND PURCHASED IT AND RECEIVED AN ACTIVATION RECEIPT ALONG WITH MY REGULAR RECEIPT. DAMN READ - COMPREHEND - THEN READ AGAIN | Then go back to the store or just eat the loss,no need to comprehend your petty experience
| |
#22

08-12-2026
| | Senior Member | | Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 656
Thanks: 8
Thanked 105 Times in 92 Posts
Activity: 5% Longevity: 41% | | Re: conned by buyer
More crap like this is happening recently, I think it's the economy fueling more scam artists...
|
Posting Rules
| You may not post new threads You may not post replies You may not post attachments You may not edit your posts HTML code is Off | | | |