eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Does ebay scan your inbox/outbox messages? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/1602-does-ebay-scan-your-inbox-outbox-messages.html)

kasabian 11-02-2007 08:32 AM

Does ebay scan your inbox/outbox messages?

Should I be careful about what information I reveal in ebay messages?

You see, I used my account yesterday to make a purchase. Obviously my registered address on ebay, isn't mine. For primary shipping address I've put "please ask me"

So the seller obviously saw this, and asked me what my address is.

Should I worry about writing my real details in ebay messages? Can ebay somehow scan these messages and see my real name and address and link me to a banned account?

On this occasion, I just sent the seller my address, via email, just to be safe. But I was just wondering about what to do next time..

thanks ;)

AndreasF 11-02-2007 09:18 AM

I think you would be safe.
It is unlikely that ebay monitors your ingoing and outgoing mails with regard to requests for different delivery addresses than stated in your account information.

regards

ebaykilla 11-02-2007 10:00 AM

eBay has no way of doing that unless the other member forwards your email to eBay to look at it.

Jonas 11-02-2007 02:58 PM

Trust & Safety can.

Chris Hanson 11-02-2007 05:10 PM

Yes, they can scan your emails easily!!!!. Dont reveal anything in your messages

doughboykilla 11-02-2007 05:52 PM

i highly dout ebay can snoop in your incomeing and out going emails this would be illeagl as well as breaking privcy laws especliy with the emails that has noting to do with ebay.

newebayerwannabe 11-02-2007 07:05 PM

I agree with doughboylilla. Breaching privacy laws.And intrusion of privacy.

aaa1 11-05-2007 01:30 PM

reply through your regular email (eg. gmail), not ebay's messages

yaw1800 06-01-2009 07:35 AM

This is an old thread but this morning i wake up to a buyer who sent the following message:

Dear "ebay seller",
Hi,
I was wondering why I received the below message from E-Bay? Is it against the rules to complete my payment through google checkout?

Can you please let me know once you have shipped my items and give me the tracking number?

Thanks,
Buyer

----

I dont think they read all messages but it could be that the bots pick up certain keywords and those messages get read.. Just a warning so be careful....

Burst 06-01-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaa1 (Post 15095)
reply through your regular email (eg. gmail), not ebay's messages

case closed

Jonas 06-01-2009 10:39 AM

I wanna update to what I said before. There's supposed to be some electronic privacy law and so a lot of eBay staff cannot see.

In addition if someone reports a rule violation for regular email it's a 50-50 chance that sometimes ebay will take action and sometimes they say that since it's not ebay messages, they can't do a thing.

nobody999 06-01-2009 10:43 PM

actually i was told by ebay that they do not read the messgages sent to others when using ebay message.
i had a problem with a buyer demanding that i give them something or else they will give me a negative feedback, the buyer sent that message through ebay message system.. i emailed and chatted with Ebay regarding this, and told them to just look at the ebay message from XXXX buyer. They said they can not look at the messages and i would have to forward them an email that the buyer sent me.

not sure if totally true with what ebay rep. told me, but just passing along the info

GreenBean 06-01-2009 11:06 PM

The way I see this is by looking at some dangerous words , 'does ebay scan messages on their system.' Since we are not 100% sure, it will be safer to avoid the use of that system for our purposes.:fight:

There will be a potential for them to do so. Best not to create troubles:peace:

Jonas 06-02-2009 02:02 PM

nobody999, that's LiveChat, which has less access than trust and safety.

ebaykilla 06-02-2009 03:05 PM

i strongly think they don't have access to email.

yaw1800 06-02-2009 03:18 PM

Well just an update to my story:

Turns out she wasnt bluffing after all, I got a suspension message yesterday..but they noted something about my "about me" page.. here's the 2 emails i got:

Hello ebay seller,

Your eBay About Me page, located at xxxAboutMePageURLxxx, has been removed because some of its content violated eBay policy. The content that violated eBay policy includes the following:

xxxSpecificViolationsxxx

***How to Use an eBay About Me Page***
The About Me page is a place for eBay members to tell the community more about themselves. However, you're not allowed to use your About Me page in ways that violate general eBay policies. For more information on how to use an About Me page, please go to:

Creating an About Me page

About Me Guidelines

You might also want to review the eBay guidelines about which items are allowed to be sold or promoted on eBay. Please visit:

Knowing the rules for sellers

Prohibited and restricted items - overview

***Creating a New About Me Page***
You can create a new About Me page by following these steps:

1. Click "My eBay" at the top of most eBay pages. You may be asked to sign in.
2. Click the "Personal Information" link located under the "My Account" heading.
3. Click the "Edit" link to the right of the "About Me" page and follow the instructions to edit your page.

***Please note***
Posting information that violates eBay policies may result in a range of actions, including listing cancellation, limits on account privileges, account suspension, forfeit of eBay fees on canceled listings, and loss of PowerSeller status.

eBay members can advertise their businesses by describing who they are and what they do on their About Me pages. However, please remember that promoting outside-of-eBay sales isn't allowed.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

eBay Customer Support

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello ebay seller,

As part of eBay's security efforts, your account has been suspended pending additional account verification. To appeal this suspension, please go to:
Suspended accounts

Unfortunately, during the suspension you won't be able to use eBay in any way, including using existing accounts or registering new accounts. Any remaining listing fees are due right away and will be charged to the billing method you selected.

We understand this may be an inconvenience for you. However, keeping the marketplace safe is our top priority.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety team

This action was taken in accordance with the "Abusing eBay" section of the User Agreement. Review the User Agreement here:
Your User Agreement

The thing is I've never touched my "about me" page, ever.... I'll see if i can get in touch with live help and possibly getting this account reinstated..

Lyda 06-02-2009 07:08 PM

So sorry Yaw. Do you know for a fact if you had something in "About Me" page against the rules, like link to your own website or explaining payment options?
It seems to me the reason was Google Checkout... Just wondering how they found out? Have you been using Cartmanager?

yaw1800 06-02-2009 09:15 PM

For this account i wasnt using cartmanager. I've never even touched that about me page.. but earlier that day a buyer got a message saying ebay contacted her about google checkout. I had explained to Greenbean that the buyer later said "i just wanted to make sure the transaction isnt fraudulent", so we figured she was probably bluffing. Later in the day i got the suspension... Although i never mention google checkout in my listings, buyers do sometimes message me via ebay saying "ok i paid through google checkout, whats next?" and so forth.. im almost certain this was the cause of the suspension.

Lyda 06-03-2009 05:06 AM

It probably is true and I assume you were using Cartmanager, right? Could be they saw you used Cartmanager and because you accepted GC, you got suspended. For those getting such emails from customers I would say in response "no, no GC, you can pay me with paypal." So if the word "google Checkout" triggers red flag and Ebay indeed looks into such email, you are safe. It maybe random check by Ebay ..and it won't happen often.

GreenBean 06-03-2009 05:21 AM

What if cartmanager AND google checkout can be triggers? Making the comment because there are more reports recently about 'out of the blue'
suspensions.
This is something ebayhateluv taught me: to try to find the parameters with these.

Lyda 06-03-2009 09:52 AM

Yeap, you are right Greenbean! That's EXACTLY what I've been thinking....I saw those reports too and think Ebay spies among us read about it also and now are looking to suspend accounts when they find out people offer GC with Cartmanager....Very likely.:pout:

I always thought this affiliate thing with Ebay and Auctiva raising prices has more to it than just that excuse....:suspicious:

nobody999 06-03-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas (Post 89744)
nobody999, that's LiveChat, which has less access than trust and safety.

thanks for clarifying that