problem with DHL & possibily customs? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-25-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default problem with DHL & possibily customs?

Excuse me if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't find another place for it. It does pertain to eBay somewhat considering I was planning to sell the merchandise on eBay.

I ordered a 12pc product from DHGate. Approximately 21 kg. Everything went smoothly until I got a phone call today from DHL stating that the shipment in question might be contraband and that I need to get a "letter of authority" from the company in order to receive the goods.

The thing is this is my 3rd time importing goods from China so I have no idea what to do. I contacted my supplier about 3 minutes ago, waiting for a response now. The guy I talked to from DHL said the contents of the box were labeled as "computer drivers" and that is not what I ordered...Obviously something fishy was going on so I basically just went along with it. At this point I asked the guy a few questions and he said if I was unable to provide this information that I'll be able to "destroy the shipment" with no further issues.

A few questions..I know many people on here import from China have any of you experienced this problem? Is my address now flagged for shady activity? How do you guys safely import goods from China? What can or should I do from this point?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-25-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Good point, jamblix. Must ask aspkin if he might consider a subforum for this type of topic. Think there could be a lot of benefit,yes?

As a first comment, you should have paperwork for the order. You could if you need to show a copy to DHL. I'd not be doing anything until the supplier replies. If you can get proof of a mis-labelled package, there should not be a problem. Any items I import always come thro' agents. Delivery address is absolutely different from residential address.

You are lucky that you have DHL acting for you B4 the item is processed, They are a buffer for any customs action.
Old 03-25-2010

Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Good point, jamblix. Must ask aspkin if he might consider a subforum for this type of topic. Think there could be a lot of benefit,yes?

As a first comment, you should have paperwork for the order. You could if you need to show a copy to DHL. I'd not be doing anything until the supplier replies. If you can get proof of a mis-labelled package, there should not be a problem. Any items I import always come thro' agents. Delivery address is absolutely different from residential address.

You are lucky that you have DHL acting for you B4 the item is processed, They are a buffer for any customs action.
Nice post GreenBean. Query if I may: what do you mean you import through agents? I now will import only through DHL as 5 of my last 7 shipments through EMS have been seized. All went to 3 different addresses. If going through agents is better/safer than through DHL I'm all for it. Is it expensive?
Old 03-25-2010
Threadstarter  

That's funny, my last 2 successful shipments came through with EMS. First time using DHL and this happens, just my luck. I've been reading that DHL is much more reliable too, in past discussions about importing from China.

I have a creeping sense that my supplier is clueless to what can be done...!!

Last edited by jamblix; 03-25-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2010
Executive [VIP]

I only use DHL for all of my shipments. My supplier says that DHL is excellent but it does depend in what part of the country you live in. He says that he won't ship by DHL to certain areas of the US as packages get seized more often. I get multiple shipments every week with no issues
Old 03-25-2010

my supplier wont ship dhl to me anymore..too many problems on 7,8,9..so i had a big parcel come in through EMS no issues,there are ways to get yer package ems,i dont even consider dhl cuz they wont do it anymore,
Old 03-25-2010

Let me tell you from experience. . .there are some sellers on dhgate who know how to "send" and some who think they know but really have no idea. I've been using dhgate for about 3 years, since Sept 2007, and I have seen the good, bad and the ugly.

It will take some time to find the right supplier, but trust me when you find someone who actually knows how to ship, knows how to avoid custom's duties, how to route packages through different parts of the country to ensure a better success rate, you will know the difference.

The products I sell on ebay, I know I could get them cheaper, but with less headaches are worth a couple bucks extra.

I would switch sellers, sounds like they don't know the game good enough.
Old 03-25-2010
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Stay away of DHL !!
Old 03-25-2010
Executive [VIP]

If you are going to post something like telling people to stay away from DHL you should state the reason behind the statement that you made. If you have had a bad experience then share it so other people can learn from it. Otherwise there is no need for posts like that
Old 03-25-2010
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via MSN to teedon Send a message via Skype™ to teedon

You need to shipping the goods from hong kong,not china mainland.And the risk of being seized by us customer will be less.Also you need to use your family address to receive the goods,not is business address.Because the value you wrote is lowest on the bill ,so if it is for business address,the usa custom will thinking it is unreasonable.
Old 03-25-2010
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via MSN to teedon Send a message via Skype™ to teedon

also if you are in the middle of USA,do not use EMS,you will very easy to get seized .Take care
Old 03-26-2010
MU

Longevity: 83%

I just had my first package come DHL and it was a monster, about 70lbs and a huge huge box, I could barely carry it. I had no problems at all, from the time posting on DHL tracking it was here at my door 3 days later.

I plan on going DHL for every order here on out, unless I run into your problem of course.

Of all my EMS orders (roughly between 30-40 orders) I have only had 2 seized. Those both came through Chicago, I go through New York always now and they come through like butter, most times new even enter customs.

Last edited by unfortuantemistake; 03-26-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-26-2010

I love how I get my EMS packages to New York in exactly 4 days! But that's just for 1 item at a time.
I'm not sure If I'll have problems when I order in a larger quantity. Either way must be a blessing living in New York!
Old 03-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

My last 3 EMS packages went through San Francisco and ALL 3 were seized.
Since then my seller is shipping to me by DHL.
No problems so far.
My packages land at the Ohio DHL Unit.
The last 5 have made it just fine since I got them to use DHL.
Old 03-26-2010
Threadstarter  

All very interesting, seems like there is a trend going from all these import threads I'm reading. It looks like the majority of problems occur in San Francisco and New York is the more reliable. Is there a way a seller can navigate packages to make them hit safer destinations?

This is the response I got from my supplier,
"hi,dear friend

I am sorry for this trouble.

please call DHL ,DHL need you how to do?

I will do the best.

best regards"

I don't think he has any idea what's going on after I tried explaining. I am glad he contacted me though and trying to figure out what's going on. I'm 90% sure I'm going to have to dispose of the shipment. If that package was not sent according to DHGate escrow the release of your money only happens when you receive the goods from what I read. If that's the case and I tell DHL to dispose of the package because my supplier cannot provide a letter of authenticity. Does this mean that I will get my money back from DHGate or will I be burned and have to settle something with the seller? Anyone have a similar experience with this at DHGate?
Old 03-26-2010
MU

Longevity: 84%

i want too know too
Old 03-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamblix View Post
If that package was not sent according to DHGate escrow the release of your money only happens when you receive the goods from what I read. If that's the case and I tell DHL to dispose of the package because my supplier cannot provide a letter of authenticity. Does this mean that I will get my money back from DHGate or will I be burned and have to settle something with the seller? Anyone have a similar experience with this at DHGate?
You need to get a letter from DHL stating that they have seized your shipment.
You can then scan it and send it to your seller.
They SHOULD re-ship the order to you.
I had to do this a few times.

It looks like you need to find a new seller on dhGate.
jamblix (03-26-2010)
Old 03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamblix View Post
All very interesting, seems like there is a trend going from all these import threads I'm reading. It looks like the majority of problems occur in San Francisco and New York is the more reliable. Is there a way a seller can navigate packages to make them hit safer destinations?

This is the response I got from my supplier,
"hi,dear friend

I am sorry for this trouble.

please call DHL ,DHL need you how to do?

I will do the best.

best regards"

I don't think he has any idea what's going on after I tried explaining. I am glad he contacted me though and trying to figure out what's going on. I'm 90% sure I'm going to have to dispose of the shipment. If that package was not sent according to DHGate escrow the release of your money only happens when you receive the goods from what I read. If that's the case and I tell DHL to dispose of the package because my supplier cannot provide a letter of authenticity. Does this mean that I will get my money back from DHGate or will I be burned and have to settle something with the seller? Anyone have a similar experience with this at DHGate?
This is definetely a seller who does not know the game. Get your refund, I wouldn't even bother with a re-shipment and look for another seller.

Also rent a ups box to receive the package now, I wouldn't keep sending to the same address.
The Following User Says Thank You to corleone For This Useful Post:
jamblix (03-26-2010)
Old 03-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by corleone View Post
Also rent a ups box to receive the package now, I wouldn't keep sending to the same address.
You are correct.....
Get a new seller
Get a new address, the old one is now in the Customs Database
Get a UPS box.
Have the new seller ship by DHL.
The package will arrive in the USA via DHL.
Then it will be turned over to the USPS for delivery to your UPS box.

Works for ME
stealthpirate (04-18-2010)
Old 03-26-2010

DHl is def the way to go,but if you have 7,8,9 zip code..its not a good idea to use dhl,and you cant re route a dhl package,they can reroute EMS to make it go through NY,and you should get your problems..thats bottom line and a fact

at least my supplier wont ship dhl now cuz of alot of problems lately on the 7,8,9
Old 03-26-2010
MU

Longevity: 83%

Just because you have a package seized doesn't mean your address is marked. I have had 2 of maybe 30 packages seized, all the rest keep clearing customs just fine.
Old 03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsgunner77 View Post
DHl is def the way to go,but if you have 7,8,9 zip code..its not a good idea to use dhl,and you cant re route a dhl package,they can reroute EMS to make it go through NY,and you should get your problems..thats bottom line and a fact

at least my supplier wont ship dhl now cuz of alot of problems lately on the 7,8,9
Are you sure DHL can't be re-routed by a third party shipping company?

We also had problems with packages going to 7,8,9 through UPS. The shipping company devised a new way to route the packages to KY then to CA instead of directly to CA as was the old way. So far it has been sucessful.

I'm telling you, there are vendors out there who really know the business well. You have not found the right vendor.