BUYER scams on ebay: Whats your experiences? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-04-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default BUYER scams on ebay: Whats your experiences?

Hi Guys.

Recently I have noticed what I think is a growing trend now on eBay - buyer scams.

I have been caught with one recently where the buyer claimed the item was not genuine but a ⊗⊗⊗⊗, resulting in me having to refund him while he keeps the item (Disposes of LOL), therefore he gets his money back and keeps the item.

My GF also recently has been caught out when she sold an item, where the buyer wanted the item shipped to his work address (because he explained that he doesn’t be home till after 7pm and can’t get to the PO in time). The work address is different from his eBay/PayPal confirmed address. My GF sends the item recorded, thinking that it is safe because she will get a signature, but the buyer claims the he never gets the item, even though it has a signature recorded. And in turn PayPal side with the buyer because it was shipped to an un-confirmed address? Which results in the buyer getting the item for fee!

Is this becoming more of an issue now on eBay with buyers abusing eBay/PayPal’s crazy nasty rules and scamming sellers with these methods?

Can you list your stories/methods where scam buyers tricked you into selling them an item, which they got to keep for free? And maybe we all can get a heads up on potential buyer scams, lurking out there waiting to steal our items and money!!

Last edited by worththewait; 11-04-2010 at 06:23 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-04-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

In short answer: Yes, these stories happen. Sadly, always lessons to be learned. The cost of doing business. There is already a long thread going on about these "winners" and their antics.

About your story, yeah that's rough to hear but about your GF, sadly only paypal-confirmed address to be shipped to is the policy =(

All the best.
Old 11-04-2010

Longevity: 89%

That exact story happened to a friend of mine, there's really not much that can be done unless it can be successfully and strongly represented that the buyer has a history of this activity. In fact, I PM'd you in case it might have been the same guy.
Old 11-05-2010

Longevity: 78%

Some buyers out there, , drool at the mouth when they get a package with no DC#. Because they know PayPal will get their money back for them.

I made that mistake a few times, but after the most recent, every package I ship has DC.

In PayPal's defense though, I have to say I was really surprised when I called them and they just credited me half the money. Just for calling and voicing my frustration.

What annoys me off though, is that I found out this buyer is a well known thief and con-man who's been screwing people for 6 years. I reported it to eBay about 5 times and he's still on buying stuff. Yet other people are booted for simple mistakes.
Old 11-05-2010

Longevity: 81%

I just had a buyer tell me his DC info indicated his package was delivered but he never received it.
I sent him another replacement item. So it cost me a few bucks to avoid the BS.
I probably could have won had the buyer gotten PayPal involved, but who wants PayPal getting involved with anything?
Cost of doing business...
The Following User Says Thank You to digitalslave For This Useful Post:
mofetee (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010

I look forward to the day when there are ONLY buyers on Ebay and no sellers willing to sell to those scammers Ebay protects!
The Following User Says Thank You to mofetee For This Useful Post:
FandangoKango (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by worththewait View Post
Hi Guys.

Recently I have noticed what I think is a growing trend now on eBay - buyer scams.

I have been caught with one recently where the buyer claimed the item was not genuine but a ⊗⊗⊗⊗, resulting in me having to refund him while he keeps the item (Disposes of LOL), therefore he gets his money back and keeps the item.

My GF also recently has been caught out when she sold an item, where the buyer wanted the item shipped to his work address (because he explained that he doesn’t be home till after 7pm and can’t get to the PO in time). The work address is different from his eBay/PayPal confirmed address. My GF sends the item recorded, thinking that it is safe because she will get a signature, but the buyer claims the he never gets the item, even though it has a signature recorded. And in turn PayPal side with the buyer because it was shipped to an un-confirmed address? Which results in the buyer getting the item for fee!

Is this becoming more of an issue now on eBay with buyers abusing eBay/PayPal’s crazy nasty rules and scamming sellers with these methods?

Can you list your stories/methods where scam buyers tricked you into selling them an item, which they got to keep for free? And maybe we all can get a heads up on potential buyer scams, lurking out there waiting to steal our items and money!!
That first one there is nothing you can do about it but the second one if someone asks you to send to a different address. Then you ask them to add it as a gift or postage address to their paypal account.

The problem I have with all this address thing now is what address do we send it to, as ebay is taking care of most claims, not paypal but there is nothing saying the buyer has to have the same address in both.
If you fulfill ebay's rules they go direct to paypal, if you fulfill paypals rules then they go direct to ebay. Anyone know how to work that one out?

Last edited by isitworththestress; 11-05-2010 at 07:06 AM.