Item signed for but never turned up! Dodgy signiture and VERY iffy tracking.... - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-27-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 73%
Default Item signed for but never turned up! Dodgy signiture and VERY iffy tracking....

Hi all

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice on this.

I recently won and paid for an item on Ebay via Paypal echeque (over £1300). After my money had cleared through paypal, I gave the seller a few days then asked if he has posted it, to which he replied yes and gave me a tracking number. All good… However when I checked the tracking number it said it had been delivered, I looked at the signature it was not mine nor was it the family member with whom I live…

I live in London and the item was coming from outside London (let’s say Derby just for the sake of it), the tracking said ‘ Parcel delivered at XX time from our DERBY delivery office. This rang alarm bells, because no postman is going to walk a route of over 100 miles and I had another item which I bought from ebay delivered on the same alleged day using the same royal mail method (and from outside London) which states it was delivered from my local London depot! Signed for by my family member!

I phoned up Royal Mail who were a bit confused by the tracking and said it is showing has delivered, and the seller needs to contact them. I contacted him. He said he posted it I told him I have not received the items, the tracking looks iffy and RM are confused about it but won’t tell me much. He got back to me (after I contacted him again) and said that RM said they may have delivered to the wrong place and they are investigating and he is putting in a claim form (his exact words) I gave him a few days and asked him if he had handed in the claims form and does he have a case number so I can chase up at my end too, he said yes (gave me a tracking number for the delivery of the claim form) but no claim case/reference number.

I phoned RM again, and spoke to someone who was very very confused about the tracking, and told me the parcel never made it in to London from what he could see on their itemised tracking – so how it could be signed for is unknown, but it says delivered. He also confirmed there is no way it could be delivered to me from a post office so far away, and there’s a large chance it was returned to the sender if anything. Lastly he told me that RM have no record as of yet of a claim against the original tracking number, and that when received it should go on their system within 24 hours.

The seller has not been forthcoming with any information and seems happy to just sit on this, at least that is how it seems to me. Which is something else that does not add up.

So in summary:

• Paid via Paypal echeque.
• Seller used RM next day 1pm.
• Tracking says delivered.
• Tracking says delivered from same area where it originated from.
• Unknown signature.
• Had a parcel delivered on the same day from Ebay. Item was similar in size and weight (tracking said local PO, known signature).
• Seller is slack on info.
• RM says no claim has been filed – no tracking for the parcel touching London – may have been returned to sender.
• I have the customer service guy (who spoke to his manager) name and time and date I spoke to him.

Now I’ve done a little research, and it seems Ebay generally find in the sellers favour due to the item being tracked and signed for (apparently)

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this? What’s the chances of getting this sorted and quickly – it is VERY stressful. If or when I escalate do I even have a chance of winning via Ebay… and how do I get my money back (or the item I paid for)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-27-2011

Longevity: 75%

You should be protected under Ebay's buyer protection policy, but if they can't charge his paypal or backup payment method it could get dicey. They are supposed to have insurance to cover it, but Paybay are total scam artist that always try to screw the customer.
Best bet for you is to start a claim before the guy disappears. Hopefully if the item does show up, you will not screw him and resend his money.
Paybay is no longer the place to buy or sell any amount you can not afford to lose as both buyer and seller.
Old 07-27-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Run this by me again. Bit slow.
YOU used an echeque as payment for a large amount of money. (good idea btw).

Item not delivered.
You've done 'reasearch' online including joining this forum.
:

Seems there is doubt as to what's happening.

And yet no contact with ebay?

I'm happy to give you advice but not if it means enabling fraud.
Shoot me a pm with the item number and we'll go from there
Old 07-28-2011
Threadstarter  

i have been at work. also i cant get on to Ebay

i have made posted a dispute on Ebay, should i do the same on paypal?

im going to phone RM in a few hours ( when i finish work) and ask them have they recieved a claim against the tracking number, if the answer is no i will escalate via ebay or paypal and give them all the info i have given here.

please cross your finger for me!

thank you all for your help so far!
Old 07-28-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Try to get off work early. You MUST get this moving with ebay. You need to start pushing for resolution.
Old 07-28-2011

Longevity: 76%

I think the ebay dispute is your best bet.

I had a situation in which someone sent a $1 bill and claimed it was a $4500 item. They posted the delivery confirmation # on Paypal and won the dispute. Paypal wanted a police report, so I went down to the station and gave one. The police refused to provide a copy of the report citing an ongoing investigation as the reason. I explained this to Paypal and they just ended up closing the dispute in the other party's favor. Its a good thing I paid with a real credit card, because that was the saving grace and I got 100% of my money back. I would HIGHLY recommend never paying with bank funds when using Paypal.
Old 07-28-2011
Threadstarter  

Default Update

So i just spoke to a very lovely person at royal mail, who said that a claim has been received, they can see it hasnt been delivered to my address, and they believe it has gone some back in Bedford but they are not sure.

She gave me the tracking reference and told me to provide ebay with that when i escalate, they will contact RM and to confirm my details. she said the claim should be completed by august 5th. She also stated that i should be refunded via Ebay/Paypal and the seller will have to slug it out with RM.

things are looking up at least. im still a lil nervous (and will be until i have the money back) i will NEVER use an echeque again.

so im about to go to my second job - when I'm done ill head right home and Escalate.

Wayne
Old 07-28-2011

What? You mean Ebay's buyer protection policy didn't help you?
Seriously, you are taking a big risk buying high dollar item on ebay today. You are lucky you had no paypal balance or bank account payment that the payment was taken from. Good thing they took payment from your credit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSToken View Post
I think the ebay dispute is your best bet.

I had a situation in which someone sent a $1 bill and claimed it was a $4500 item. They posted the delivery confirmation # on Paypal and won the dispute. Paypal wanted a police report, so I went down to the station and gave one. The police refused to provide a copy of the report citing an ongoing investigation as the reason. I explained this to Paypal and they just ended up closing the dispute in the other party's favor. Its a good thing I paid with a real credit card, because that was the saving grace and I got 100% of my money back. I would HIGHLY recommend never paying with bank funds when using Paypal.
Old 07-28-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

@OP, also approach your bank and bank manager to discuss this as you sort out through the stuff. Has the echeque cleared?
Old 07-28-2011
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%

Here is my understanding of your circumstances as described above & my thoughts on it:

the supplied tracker number:-->is for a delivery item signed for with an unknown signature for it, delivery is NOT from your local delivery sorting office..--->Royal Mail are initially 'confused' by the delivery tracker number detail, --->the seller claims to you that he contacted Royal Mail over this delivery/whereabouts issue (Royal Mail would have referenced this delivery on their systems & logged this contact & nature of it from the seller on their CRM systems)...--->seller has NOT been able to give you a valid claim/reference number for this 'lost in delivery' claim he said he will be making for the item ....---->Royal Mail now confirm to you that no parcel as described by the seller was ever delivered to your address & NOT from a regional delivery office & Royal Mail also confirm that there is NO claim made against this item to them by the seller as described/claimed to you by the seller.....

CORE ISSUES:
'Seller used RM next day 1pm'--->
I gave the seller a few days then asked if he has posted it, to which he replied yes and gave me a tracking number. All good… However when I checked the tracking number it said it had been delivered'...
-->so if it was a next day delivery or its terms of delivery were to have been of this nature, judging from the outset of the delivery terms before you won this auction, why did you therefore wait for a few days before the contacting seller for posting details ???

--->'Had a parcel delivered on the same day from Ebay. Item was similar in size & weight (tracking said local PO, known signature)'.<----this was a successful delivery right, utilising the same delivery firm & terms of delivery as the first phantom delivery, for another similar ebay auction you won ???

---->Now I’ve done a little research, & it seems Ebay generally find in the sellers favour due to the item being tracked & signed for (apparently)'....what do you mean by this, please clarify....??? At this moment in time, you have lost a small pot of money, so really are you not supposed to be engaging ebay/paypal under the buyer/seller protection scheme to remedy this issue having failed to have any meaningful engagement with the seller who patently seems vague & ambigous to you & it would seems he has lied to you about his contact with Royal Mail as they don't know about any of the sellers contact with them as the seller claims /possiby consider contacting the local police to forward a crime reference number to paypal/ebay to progress this (from my previous experience).....

--->the item tracker number supplied by the seller supposedly for your item.....could be a dud tracker number supplied for a previous delivery item totally unrelated to your own order but you have been decieved by the seller into thinking it is for your item---->>decieved for the purposes of FRAUD; this situation gives the seller an option of making an item 'lost' claim through the ebay/buyer seller protection scheme & reclaiming the value of the 'lost' item.....everything you've said about your seller's conduct ranks of >>>FRAUD<<< on your seller's part & you will have a job to substantiate/provide proof to paypal that you have NOT recieved the item, you are likey to need to file a 'fraud police report to get a crime reference number before paypal will action this & review & give their verdict on it.....

ENGAGE THE BUYER/SELLER CLAIM PROCESS FOR BOTH PAYPAL & EBAY, THOUGH EBAY MAY LET PAYPAL TAKE THE LEAD HERE.

I agree with GreenBean sentiment about you providing more details via PM to him to determine the veracity of the information you've provided on here before he decides to assist you further.

BTW, I would also advise you to use the 'advanced' search feature on ebay to locate the sellers contact details for reference.

Last edited by SUVE; 07-28-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2011
Threadstarter  

Default Sorted!!!!!!!

Ok so i phone Ebay on Friday (phoning them is a hassle in its self), explained to them and gave them the RM case number. got cut off while on hold. Phoned them back only to realise online THEY has Escalated it (without my asking) re-explained to them again - put on hold again - after 15mins the woman came back and said they have found in my favour! (does that even happen on the phone so quick) One catch is that i will have to wait 2-3 days extra, due to the amount involved, as they will have to pass it up to senior investigators to look in to. she also confirmed my refund will be automatic and i will not have to wait for seller action.
Fast forward to today and i've received an email from Ebay less than an hour ago saying they have found in my favour (reason being Seller was unable to supply valid tracking), checked my Paypal and the money is sitting there! that's over 1300 reasons to be happy!

I sure something was dodgy with this. i mean i was on hold for 15 mins and the woman was able to confirm they will find in my favour - a bit quick maybe?
Secondly i done some digging and found the item i bought when it was previously listed (when he said the buyer did not pay) on THAT listing it stated it had been listed already and was being listed again, due to a mistake he made with Ebay. THREE listings? Third one via an Iphone App = Fishy
Lastly 'Seller unable to provide valid tracking'... something def up

I'm just glad to have my money back!

thanks all for your help, i hope this situ never comes up again! if it does at least this a case for reference!
Old 08-03-2011

Glad it worked out for you. I would quickly withdraw the money on the off chance it gets reversed. Also, be prepared to cancel your credit card and bank account if it looks like they will try to reverse.
Old 08-04-2011

Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjgustave View Post
Ok so i phone Ebay on Friday (phoning them is a hassle in its self), explained to them and gave them the RM case number. got cut off while on hold. Phoned them back only to realise online THEY has Escalated it (without my asking) re-explained to them again - put on hold again - after 15mins the woman came back and said they have found in my favour! (does that even happen on the phone so quick) One catch is that i will have to wait 2-3 days extra, due to the amount involved, as they will have to pass it up to senior investigators to look in to. she also confirmed my refund will be automatic and i will not have to wait for seller action.
Fast forward to today and i've received an email from Ebay less than an hour ago saying they have found in my favour (reason being Seller was unable to supply valid tracking), checked my Paypal and the money is sitting there! that's over 1300 reasons to be happy!

I sure something was dodgy with this. i mean i was on hold for 15 mins and the woman was able to confirm they will find in my favour - a bit quick maybe?
Secondly i done some digging and found the item i bought when it was previously listed (when he said the buyer did not pay) on THAT listing it stated it had been listed already and was being listed again, due to a mistake he made with Ebay. THREE listings? Third one via an Iphone App = Fishy
Lastly 'Seller unable to provide valid tracking'... something def up

I'm just glad to have my money back!

thanks all for your help, i hope this situ never comes up again! if it does at least this a case for reference!

Glad you got your $ back!