eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Has anyone noticed if eBay has been hurt from New Policy Changes? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/5605-has-anyone-noticed-if-ebay-has-been-hurt-new-policy-changes.html)

juanguay 06-30-2008 12:35 PM

Has anyone noticed if eBay has been hurt from New Policy Changes?

I have been watching the numbers on the PSU site for several months now and noticed Ioffers numbers have gone from around 1 million to almost 5 million and ebays numbers have only gone down into the 13 millions to low 14 millions range. Also I have noticed they seem to be doing a lot more Insertion Fee deals than they used to...hmmm...

So I read a lot of complaining, hard luck stories and threats of never using eBay again. I have been guilty of this myself. I got suspended for the first time in 8 years of being with ebay a while back and found this site which helped me get back on starting completely fresh.

I lost a lot when I got suspended. I was making $2,000-$4,000 a month off ebay and now I am darn lucky if I can make $2,000 as I had to change what I was selling as to not get caught again.

I really think it would not have matter so much as I could see the new changes coming and realized I was probably at the end of my Good Old Days anyhow?? So it doesn't matter.

I decided to not get angry, just watch to see what happens when these new policies take effect. Sort of like waiting for Y2K to happen..lol..

Well, I have made it a habit to keep watching and see if all the boycotts and hot talk of people would make a difference. I don't think it can really be seen with the daily numbers of items? Though what I would like to see is if the amount of money that was made from daily sales has dropped or not??
If ebay has lost lots of money due to that? Probably never find info on that?

I know it did for me and suspect it has for others as well. It seems like logic does not apply with ebay. All the new rules, price hikes and bad publicity has not taking as big a bite out of the giant as one would want to think?

Anyone else notice things or have things they want to mention?

aspkin 07-01-2008 06:10 AM

I think eBay is slowly going down hill. If they continue what they're doing, a year or two from now we'll see a sudden shift to other auction sites. Google Trends shows their traffic is slowing; it could be the economy, the time of the year, new policies or everything together. But eBay is still the biggest market of buyers for right now; they're not dead yet.

aspkin 07-01-2008 06:10 AM

And to add, if eBay is making the buyers happy, they won't die then. And that's what eBay is trying to do, to make buyers happy while sellers suffer. It's just the way it is.

noel123ie 07-01-2008 06:51 AM

Hi there

Its a very poor policy as sellers are the heart of ebay which makes ebay what it is today

There must be a better balance out there to keep all happy

Just my pennys worth

Noel

juanguay 07-01-2008 09:42 AM

I don't expect ebay to die anytime soon, I just think it is interesting to watch the numbers. I will admit I don't agree with how they treat sellers knowing we'll put up with being second class as they cater to buyers but watching the daily numbers, seeing eBay offering more low cost fees and watching increased rules being implemented makes me wonder how this will effect the strength of ebay.

imjustme 07-01-2008 09:59 AM

I've noticed that my eBay sales have gone up. If eBay keeps buyers happy and coming, then that's good for me. I'll keep selling on eBay and the more sellers that go away, the more sales I will get. Sure it's not easy, but business is never easy. You have to adapt.

memphis 07-01-2008 10:55 AM

I agree time will tell for ebay but it dosen't really matter it they keep the buyers happy or not if the sellers are all suspended, offended or simply can't afford to do business with ebay there won't be anything left for buyers to buy because all the sellers will be else where. Greed will come back and bite ebay in the ass.

aspkin 07-01-2008 01:55 PM

Trust me, where there are buyers there will always be sellers.

memphis 07-01-2008 04:01 PM

True, but will you continue to sell on ebay if your making less money than on another site? I won't be selling if thats the case. I'm just saying if ebay doesn't slow the ramp up of fees and give the sellers some power back we'll be getting scammed by more and more buyers who abuse paypal. As it sits now the buyer has all the power to get what they want because they can lord that all mighty feedback over our heads.

TMiles 07-01-2008 05:12 PM

So true Aspkin. We can hate Ebay all we want, but the truth is you have to have Buyers first. As the old saying goes "You will build it, and they will come."

I know the feedback changes suck, but really think about it. How many consumer feedback groups do surveys on buyers. JD Powers does satisfaction ratings on car companies, not the people buying the cars....

greg2414 07-01-2008 05:15 PM

"You will build it, and they will come."

Doesnt that really mean build a website and they will come basically leave ebay it doesnt matter :P ?? Thats how i read that bit of text lol :)

juanguay 07-01-2008 09:02 PM

I too believe in the "Field of Dreams" motto but... where is the line drawn in the dirt at which point you are willing to keep working harder and harder to stay in the game? I know everyone has their own line and it is different for everyone but if the amount of trouble keeps getting more every time you turn around, like with fee increases, shipping increases, more stringent rules and more buyers using the system against you etc etc etc....??

I still sell on ebay now, but I am ready to bail if a better auction site comes along. I have tried other sites with little success so I have put up with the ebay hassle so far but I am so willing to leave if that better site comes along.

So this is why I watch to see if ebay is suffering. Maybe there will be some positive light for us the sellers??

I appreciate this site so much as it helps us who are hanging in there do just that but there will be a point that ebay will require SS#'s, a blood sample, finger print identification or something that will make it darn near impossible to stay on ebay once you have been suspended.

Aspkin, it is too bad you couldn't help create an auction site that would be equal for everyone..

ambercolour 07-02-2008 03:26 AM

Of course there is a better site then ebay, its called search engines. Read about SEO and then maybe PPC marketing and you'd be glad that you finally left ebay horrors. Of course it will take time and effort and it wont be easy but once you have established then you be able to worry less and thinking "will my account be closed due to ebay violation"? or will my Paypal account be closed because of a dispute?
But the problem among many ebay sellers is they are lazy and they find ebay very easy to work on and it gets the target traffic which they desire, which is true. But you gotta diverse and think out of the box :)