eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   New Account, What items to start out selling? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/59229-new-account-what-items-start-out-selling.html)

vigilantex69 04-21-2013 07:01 PM

New Account, What items to start out selling?

So I am creating a new backup account to start selling on eventually. Followed the book and everything but honestly it has been well over a year since I opened a new one. The account is up, I am going to let it age for 30 days or so before I sell an item.

What item do you guys suggest to list without getting immediately limited? Beforehand I would list one or two of those flash hard drives I'd buy from Wal-Mart. Pay $10.00 a piece for them.

I was also thinking about selling off some of the Blu-Ray movies I bought but never watch anymore. Or are those too risk?

Things have changed since I was last starting out in the game a year ago and I don't want to get this account immediately limited. The game plan is to build it up to 20 or 30 feedback and then let it sit till August or so. Again, I don't plan on actually starting selling until the end of May or so on it.

Also, is the buying feedback thing still needed? When I did that a year and a half ago I purchased a few items to build the feedback to 10 or so before selling. Is that still necessary or does it really matter anymore?

Been in the stealth game since 2006 so I was just wondering if any of the vets could give me some good advise :yar:

MM78 04-21-2013 07:51 PM

No one can really tell you what would be good but the majority of the forum suggest you go with none-name brand or used items from around the house.

Sandy D 04-21-2013 08:35 PM

Stay away from name brand anything.

Stay away from high risk categories.

Someone had a list of those posted here. Take a look.

No one can tell you what to list but on my own accounts I sell absolute crap to start off with.

Yard sale, box lot, useful items and it builds the account for the better stuff later on.

Crap to me but has a use to someone else.

Go slow and do not list high dollar items either.

Do not list 0.99 items.

Good luck.

vigilantex69 04-21-2013 10:08 PM

Don't list items at .99 cents? So you think individual DVD's would be too risky? I normally start all my auctions at .99 cents though.

vogeltron 04-22-2013 02:03 AM

Yea, I am one of those who suggest listing household items to start off. I don't say don't list .99 cent items. I would say just don't list .99 cent items that would be like a regular seller would have. If you are listed old clothes or used DVDs or CDs or something like that and take actual pics not stock photos. I don't think you would have any problems doing something like that.

Speeder33 04-22-2013 03:16 AM

i would suggest old dvds and cds as well, but if you cant find any cheap ones there are always books, cheap and plentiful and definitly not a risk

Sandy D 04-22-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigilantex69 (Post 442689)
Don't list items at .99 cents? So you think individual DVD's would be too risky? I normally start all my auctions at .99 cents though.

I dont do any 0.99 auctions on new accounts. Just my way of doing it.

Test it and see.

Sandy D 04-22-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vogeltron (Post 442717)
Yea, I am one of those who suggest listing household items to start off. I don't say don't list .99 cent items. I would say just don't list .99 cent items that would be like a regular seller would have. If you are listed old clothes or used DVDs or CDs or something like that and take actual pics not stock photos. I don't think you would have any problems doing something like that.

I have been selling household products on new accounts for almost 5 years now and never had an issue.

I have hundreds of accounts I sell on and every one has been built from baby stealths to powerhouse accounts by selling household, yard sale, thrift store, auction box lot items and then onto the better items over time.

GreenBean 04-22-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigilantex69 (Post 442659)
What item do you guys suggest to list without getting immediately limited? Beforehand I would list one or two of those flash hard drives I'd buy from Wal-Mart. Pay $10.00 a piece for them.

I was also thinking about selling off some of the Blu-Ray movies I bought but never watch anymore. Or are those too risk?

Been in the stealth game since 2006 so I was just wondering if any of the vets could give me some good advise :yar:

If you can avoid both of those items. Flash drives have had some issues.
Worse though are the blu-ray movies. You could have trouble if the movies are from the likes of Disney etc.
Say as first items to sell, I would look for something else. Usual steps of good description, your own photos etc apply.
:ranger:

rsot 04-22-2013 01:34 PM

You can also get creative and make your own stuff to sell - like handcrafted stuffs

joesshooze 04-22-2013 04:22 PM

I can only tell you how I even got started selling. I had been selling off some household items after wifey died and it was spectacular. I was in Marshalls one day and they had some great stuff on clearance so I bought a few things for myself. Long story short I didn't like some of it when I got home and rather than return it I sold on ebay for a nice profit. Well one thing led to another and I kinda fell into a niche market. So I sell one type of item in various styles because I have knowledge of thet product and it's been great for almost a year. EB & PP aside of course.

vigilantex69 04-22-2013 09:08 PM

So long story short, advise is against selling used DVD's or Blu-Rays with first sales? That worked fine a year and a half ago.

I will probably sell some tools and stuff to start out with. Any advice on how long I should bake the account with low risk items until I can list some decent stuff? Say 25 feedback? 10?

Also, from the original question. Is buying some feedback still necessary? Penny auctions and such or not really relevant anymore.

GreenBean 04-22-2013 10:35 PM

For me, old habits die hard.

I prefer feedback of 30 minimum.

I always have buyers feedback as well as activity on paypal.

I allow a budget per account , and therefore have a variety of items.

Since this internet troubles with film piracy, ebay has been pulling simple used DVDs & blu-rays. That has changed from 18 months ago.

Once you are over the hurdle of 21 day holds you could consider varying your sales.
Do it when YOU feel comfortable
:typing:

corleone 04-22-2013 10:46 PM

I surf close-outs, clearance items, make offers to buy large lots for decent prices. I have a few distributors I go through to basically take the old close-outs off their hands for a very good price. I'll sell most of that stuff for just above cost to build feedback on new accounts.

A few of those items sold and then I dive right in.

Sandy D 04-22-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corleone (Post 442966)
I surf close-outs, clearance items, make offers to buy large lots for decent prices. I have a few distributors I go through to basically take the old close-outs off their hands for a very good price. I'll sell most of that stuff for just above cost to build feedback on new accounts.

A few of those items sold and then I dive right in.

I have several close out companies close to me and if you are not there in line before opening their doors you miss out on some great deals.

Almost every time I was able be there at opening the people were lined up like they were giving away something for free.

tcw7 06-09-2013 06:20 PM

What about Fashion Jewelry?

...that seems to be a good item.

Anyone trying that one?

rsot 06-12-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcw7 (Post 456851)
What about Fashion Jewelry?

...that seems to be a good item.

Anyone trying that one?

Be careful of certain brands like P*ndora - those are HEAVILY monitored