eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Advice on possible problem with a buyer claim (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/60463-advice-possible-problem-buyer-claim.html)

user3657 05-28-2013 04:35 AM

Advice on possible problem with a buyer claim

I'm trying to be smart and get advice before a problem arises...

I was on vacation last week. A buyer requested to return an item during this time but since I did not respond, he opened an ebay case simply stating he is returning the item and to confirm I received his request.

That would mean he sent it to my stealth address, which I dont have access to. No biggie, I would see if USPS would redirect it or I would take the lost and just refund him if he provides tracking info. I responded to the case saying sorry blah blah blah was away and to provide a tracking number.

Buyer responded with a tracking number that was delivered to OH, and im in N.J.

I responded to the case asking the buyer to double check the tracking number as it says it was delivered to OH and my address is N.J.

How do I go about this?

JamesNorth101 05-28-2013 05:05 AM

If you don't want attention draw to your account, I would just refund and take the loss.

Sandy D 05-28-2013 08:12 AM

Did you have a working phone number?

If you sold items before you go on vacation you need to have the corresponding phone and access to email to check for this issues while on vacation.

When we go on vacation I slow down the sales the week before and always check every single email I sold on the week before once a day. Takes 30 min at the most because I sell on tons of accounts but it is well worth doing so.

Also, in every account I run, I tell them I must authorize all returns before you send the item back or it will be refused. All items returned without my prior ok will be refused and returned to you.

We all like our vacations but when you are running a business like this you still need to have customer service to handle issues like this.

Dmshark25 05-28-2013 10:01 AM

Yes since the problem already arose the best thing to do is take the loss and refund the buyer in full and not ask the buyer to do anything , always keep the buyer happy and I find even on dissatisfied customers I'm able to turn it around and get a positive feedback as long as communication is open and fast and customer service is exceeding their expectations.

With ebay I find buyers are sometimes scared if for whatever reason they are not happy with an item ( especially new buyers) they panic and right away think they are being scammed which is ridiculous on Ebay because the buyer is in total control but the new buyers over react , so the important thing is too always keep fast communication or they jump to conclusions and think the worst immediately which could mean a negative

jeffweico 05-28-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmshark25 (Post 453149)
With ebay I find buyers are sometimes scared if for whatever reason they are not happy with an item ( especially new buyers) they panic and right away think they are being scammed which is ridiculous on Ebay because the buyer is in total control but the new buyers over react , so the important thing is too always keep fast communication or they jump to conclusions and think the worst immediately which could mean a negative

I couldn't agree more. I have had buyers contacting me in a very threatening tone, and when I tell them a replacement or a refund is no problem and it is their choice, they usually apologize and sometimes tell me they are sorry, but they had a problem with a seller before who ripped them off.

I would immediately issue a refund, as that will stop the buyer from potentially opening a case. Once they get the refund, they will not care what happens to the item. So, if it is returned to them it will most likely be no big deal.

Remember, you don't want to draw any attention to your account, especially an account in good working order.

user3657 05-28-2013 05:42 PM

So even though the buyer returned an item somehow to an ohio address and my address is in N.J, I should still take the hit??

Dmshark25 05-28-2013 06:00 PM

You need to think about how much a negative feedback will affect your account and obviously the price of the item. If it is not a high priced item than I'd do whatever I could to make up for lost customer service and try my best not to get a negative and that would mean a quick full refund at this point. Now if the account is already damaged and not in good standing than I might think about makin the customer do more work and get mad but get the item back especially if its high priced and if your account is not that much of value to you and your just going to create a new one

corleone 05-28-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user3657 (Post 453251)
So even though the buyer returned an item somehow to an ohio address and my address is in N.J, I should still take the hit??

Unless your stealth address is OH, I wouldn't refund.

If your stealth address is NJ and the tracking shows OH delivery, you're gonna win the case.

user3657 05-29-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corleone (Post 453267)

If your stealth address is NJ and the tracking shows OH delivery, you're gonna win the case.

Thats what I mean. He didnt even send it to my ebay address (stealth), but to OH.
Why wouldnt ebay side with me and remove neg feedback if he leaves one?

GreenBean 05-29-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user3657 (Post 453251)

Is this an attempt at humor?

You went on vacation and left your account out of order.

You have a stealth/useless address.

You want your cake and eat it too?

Be serious. Your opening question was 'I am trying to get smart and get help before a problem arises'......

You got sound advice. Refund and put your account in order.

Next vacation, close up or stop selling. Consider having access to your address.

Be smart, even if you are a little out of pocket from this refund.

Lesson learned. Move on

:boink:

rsot 05-31-2013 04:21 PM

Sometimes you must eat the little losses to keep an account running for BIG gains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by corleone (Post 453267)

Can never be 100% sure with PP on this one - always expect some pushback and be ready

Dynasty 04-29-2014 04:06 AM

Re: Advice on possible problem with a buyer claim

I agree on refunding and taking the loss. Your stealth *return address* is still good in the buyer and the bays eyes. However lately I've been thinking about ways to minimize this occurance.

I was thinking about including *promotional* business cards in each order that offer a discount. But at the same time have specific return instructions to contact the seller by email for a faster *exchange. Anyone using this method yet? If so what roughly does the card say? I've been trying to think of a low key smooth way of getting the info to the buyer

mt_joe 04-29-2014 12:25 PM

Re: Advice on possible problem with a buyer claim

I just received a card in the mail with a purchase. It read:

"CompanyName"
www.companyname.com
Thank you for your purchase from "companyname"! We hope you are satisfied with your purchase. We would appreciate it if you would leave us positive feedback. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please feel free to email us at companyname@gmail.com or give us a call at (xxx) xxx-xxxx. Thank You!