Competitor getting annoyed! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-07-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 64%
Default Competitor getting annoyed!

Looks like he's getting annoyed. I dropped my price below his, and he did the same. So I dropped it quite far down, but enough for me to make a decent profit.

Hi My name is ....., I run ........ Last week I was selling ....... for ....... and people gladly paid it. This left me with a nice profit. You then started undercutting my price and by doing so reduced both my profit and yours. Each time you reduce the price both you and I lose out. I don't understand why you are doing this unless you are selling for some reason other than to make a profit. I can afford to reduce the price down to zero if that's where you want to take it but as a business person I would prefer to make a profit for my efforts. I'm am going to raise my price to a reasonable level and wait to see what you do. If you want to continue this stupid price war we can but as I said the only people losing out are you and I
Looking forward to your reply
........ ......
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 30%
Longevity: 85%

I'd drop your price again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebayorbust For This Useful Post:
nyc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-07-2013
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,548 Times in 2,201 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%

You know, I never jump into those price war bs. That'll just kill the market and make yourself in a lose lose situation in my opinion.

I'd focus more on other areas such as customer service, getting good feedbacks, making people happy , etc
Old 09-07-2013
Threadstarter  

I'm all about getting good feedback, etc. Keeping the customers happy.
That's business.
Old 09-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
I'm all about getting good feedback, etc. Keeping the customers happy.
That's business.
By posting a letter like that in the open asking for opinion...it's pretty clear you aren't all about that...you want to dominate the market, and while nothing wrong to do that...this other seller is weak and writing to you to stop. Maybe best discuss with him and come to resolution - that's the way business works these days...competitors come up with agreements so both profit...or one drives the other into the ground.

Choice is yours but you're asking the forum to consult on this competition? Going to get very varied answers.
Old 09-07-2013
Threadstarter  

Basically, you're saying a seller can't provide good customer service etc, and dominate the market?

I was the first with this product, and along came everyone else under-cutting my price, that's what happens.

I don't message other sellers asking for them to raise the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnc For This Useful Post:
stanislav (09-08-2013)
Old 09-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Looks like he's getting annoyed. I dropped my price below his, and he did the same. So I dropped it quite far down, but enough for me to make a decent profit.

Hi My name is ....., I run ........ Last week I was selling ....... for ....... and people gladly paid it. This left me with a nice profit. You then started undercutting my price and by doing so reduced both my profit and yours. Each time you reduce the price both you and I lose out. I don't understand why you are doing this unless you are selling for some reason other than to make a profit. I can afford to reduce the price down to zero if that's where you want to take it but as a business person I would prefer to make a profit for my efforts. I'm am going to raise my price to a reasonable level and wait to see what you do. If you want to continue this stupid price war we can but as I said the only people losing out are you and I
Looking forward to your reply
........ ......
This guy is is sincerely reaching out and is being professional. Made no threats, no anger, or hostility. If I were you, I would suggest to him an agreement that if these items are selling well that one week you can set the price, then the following week he can set his price without undercutting. Alternate weeks and if they continue to sell well, both parties will profit. There are many people on ebay and Amazon that would have went on the offensive and made your life miserable, and destroyed your account and sales potential. Take the high road and prosper my friend. Good luck.
james13v (09-11-2013), johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

You do not own the rights to the product.

You therefore have to share the bounty.

Do it in such a way as to not be impeded in petty squabbles.

You are on the mark by saying you offer great customer service & get good feedback.

Keep the faith.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-07-2013

Longevity: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrqell View Post
This guy is is sincerely reaching out and is being professional. Made no threats, no anger, or hostility. If I were you, I would suggest to him an agreement that if these items are selling well that one week you can set the price, then the following week he can set his price without undercutting. Alternate weeks and if they continue to sell well, both parties will profit. There are many people on ebay and Amazon that would have went on the offensive and made your life miserable, and destroyed your account and sales potential. Take the high road and prosper my friend. Good luck.
i totally agree with the approach of your competitor. He/she is doing the right thing and you should be thankful he did not take the hurt your account route. reaching a peaceful resolution would be in both of your interest, without any escalation.
The Following User Says Thank You to pricey For This Useful Post:
johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

When I first started selling on Ebay I was selling a very specific software and I had 1 major competitor and he would try everything in the book to derail me. Unfortunately we never tried to work it out, we could of both made decent money.
Old 09-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 63%

In a few areas I have only 1 or 2 competitors. We all work together to ensure we all get the most profit possible, and we also import together to get the best prices.

I may sell only 10 items per day because my prices are higher, but I make £10 on each of these items instead of £3 and selling 20 items.

Down to you to work out how to maximise your profits. If that means collaborating, then do that. If it means trying to run them off the road and then having no competition, do that. First approach tends to work best IMO
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-07-2013

Longevity: 82%

It depends on certain situations. I have a product I sell that nobody on ebay can match my price. It's not a product that you can go buy on dhgate, nothing mass produced. I found my own manufacturer for it, contracted them to make it for me, the works. I have undercut everyone on ebay selling similar items and I have made several hundred k this year off it. The competitors tried to take me down when I sold on big accounts, and instead, I've spread the products across 120 accounts, so I've slowly tied up the market and pretty much control the sale of this product.

I don't need to make deals with anyone, I just need to keep operating.

Depending on your sources, and your profit, you can decide to share the pie with them, or you can put them out of business. If you each have the same source for the product, it might not be in your best interest to engage in war because it may put you both out of business.
The Following User Says Thank You to corleone For This Useful Post:
johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 66%

I feel bad for you guys having to deal with competitors trying to derail you. I have always figured if I can't compete on price and service than I shouldn't be selling. And no way in heck would I stoop so low as to try and get somebody kicked off. Well of course instead they tried to pull some funny stuff with me.

Thankfully most of the products I sell are somewhat unique. Lots of people selling them but so many variations etc. And the quantity isn't limitless so if someone wants to give their stuff away I can just ride it out and when they run out I am the last one standing and I can charge whatever price I want. Sometimes can even increase the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013

Longevity: 65%

Price wars are a waste of time and effort to me. If pricing on a product gets ridiculous I get out of that line and move on to something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:
johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013

Longevity: 86%

price wars are a nono for me too, both people will end up losing out, agree to sell at same price, keep ur dsrs good and u will sell more than him
The Following User Says Thank You to dburnside For This Useful Post:
johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013

Longevity: 65%
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack

This happen to me one time. I had someone selling the same product as me, and we would have price wars. Well one day I just sent him an email We became pretty cool after a couple of chats, and after a long talk we actually created a business plan around our products, and how we could both making money!

The product was normally priced at $49.99. I paid $5 for the product, so you can see I had a lot of wiggle room and could still make great profit, but I didn't want a bidding war so we agreed to switch off each week. What I mean by that is I would sell my product one week for $49.99 and he would sell at like $44.99... each week we would switch back, and forth. It was a great business model for at least us, and we were both able to win!

The best thing to do is just try to make good on any situation. You don't want to try and ruin each others accounts, or money because in the end both will lose! I hope my post was a little helpful!! Keep up the good work, and keep on stealthing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Useful Post:
johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013

Longevity: 61%

I wouldn't drop it again unless you can still turn a profit (there is no point cutting of your nose to spite your face), if you are happy with the profit you are getting then sell at your own price, I wouldn't worry about what he is doing. After all business is business, you don't have to be a cock about it but if your business can run on less profit then his to survive then good luck to you, if he is going to threaten you and say "I will drop my price to zero blah blah blah" I would just ignore him. After all if he is going to lower his price to get back at you then obviously he is not a genuine person and is only mad because he isn't ripping people off with his outrageous pricing. He says he will lower it to zero then in the next sentence he says I am going to raise my price to a reasonable level, by saying this he is saying that he needs to raise the price for him to make a decent profit, it seems to me he has had the pick of the litter in that area for a long time and is mad he is not making the amount of cash he was making, no matter what if you raise your price or not if its under his price he is going to complain anyway, Ebay is cut throat and people will do whatever they like to save $1, its just the way it is. Do what's best for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to da20valve For This Useful Post:
johnc (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the mixed replies. I've agreed to bring my price up to the same as his, but he seems to be able to still sell more even though I have 100% feedback, and excellent DSR's. It's because he runs an actual business for the product we sell. I think I will suggest the one week on one week off idea, if he declines, I will just drop my price and worry about myself. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-08-2013
Executive [VIP]

This thread reminds of American Gangster when Denzel tells Cuba not to dilute the brand. Blue magic that's a brand name. Trademark infringement lol.
Old 09-09-2013
Threadstarter  

Default Re: Competitor getting annoyed!

He's not interested in that idea! He want's to alternate charging postage costs each week, i'm not to keen as then it brings the post DSR in, what would you do?
Old 09-09-2013

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

i had the same situation a few years back.
and started the pricing war (which is stupid if you want to make money).
talked to the guy and worked it out set prices and stuck to it.
and then let the buyer decide,,simple....
worked ok and both made a bit of money...

if it gets out of hand both feedbacks will be trashed and both lose money..
Old 09-09-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Thanks for the mixed replies. I've agreed to bring my price up to the same as his, but he seems to be able to still sell more even though I have 100% feedback, and excellent DSR's. It's because he runs an actual business for the product we sell. I think I will suggest the one week on one week off idea, if he declines, I will just drop my price and worry about myself. Thanks everyone.
You can only do so much - if he is going to win out with matching price AND you have met his demands...might be time to a) move on or b) get more sales your way in a competitive professional manner