BIN v Auction? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-08-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 73%
Default BIN v Auction?

So this is kinda strange, i've been running full time 7 day auctions for a loonnng while, 100's of items a week.

Running like clock work, then sales drop way low, then they pretty much go to ZERO. So much so where I didn't pay to list because i'd be going backwards.

So they run a free BIN promo and i figure WTH nothing to lose at this point so i toss everything up over 4 days into BIN. Sales were O-K not great but its better thren watching a big line of RED items ending 2 weeks in a row.

So now converting my ending BINs back to auction to try try again, but what I did notice is the BIN items get WAY more views then auctions, even after 7 days the auction item still has way less views.

do BIN items get more love or something?

I normally stick with auctions because I only have 1 of each item, so they are all unquie.

Just Brainstorming
The Following User Says Thank You to golden_monkey For This Useful Post:
joesshooze (11-08-2013)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-08-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%
Default Re: BIN v Auction?

There are various buyers out there. Some know what they want and they will buy right away using BIN. (I do this frequently myself as a buyer and just purchase the cheapest BIN available).

Others like a deal and will wait it out. While others enjoy the "thrill" of winning an online auction during the last few seconds.

As for your question on which is preferable, it really depends on the item...so what may apply for item A, may not be suitable for item B.

As a seller, it would be wise to cater to all sorts of buyers rather than focus on just a select few.

Also, I find that having an auction and a BIN for my same item will increase attention to the BIN item. (For example, for those people that didn't win the auction, they will sometimes choose to buy the BIN item if it is close to the price of what the auction sold for).
Old 11-08-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,936 Times in 8,227 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Don't forget OP: sales could drop because of COMPETITION - see what other ppl in your niche are selling and their prices...they could be undercutting you.
Old 11-08-2013
Threadstarter  

yea not really being undercut, lots of sellers selling all kinds of items, from noobies with used items and crappy listings.

to the top dogs which are double my price.

i was sitting in at the lower middle, above the noobies, with better pro looking auctions, and better price then the top dogs with the same kinda quality looking listings

most of my items are better quality that the top sellers too, i never get quality issues yet they'll have a rash of neut and neg for poor quality, and crap CS.

like i said i was hussling auctions like a mad man then...skreeeeeeeeeech, views in the crapper, sales way down.

ANd yes ANON you are correct, you gota have some auctions to drive those BINs.

I guess im going to start splitting up my inventory to BIN with 30% auction and see WTF happens.

im even doing fast n free shipping on everything now hoping that will give me a rankings bump.
Old 11-08-2013

Longevity: 64%

Appreciate the stats OP. I usually only purchase if BIN. Only if I don't mind waiting or loosing. When selling I have been doing BIN with auction. Can't complain but feel sales are still very slow where I thought October would begin a rise in sales.
Old 11-08-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

I saturate markets by eliminating competators visability using auctions. Very specificly if an item is hot and selling well I might run a hundred+ auctions a day. basically in best match or ending soonest, lowest price, etc...you will only find my auctions. Slow moving items less popular items this dopes not work.
Old 11-08-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesshooze View Post
Appreciate the stats OP. I usually only purchase if BIN. Only if I don't mind waiting or loosing. When selling I have been doing BIN with auction. Can't complain but feel sales are still very slow where I thought October would begin a rise in sales.
do you mean BIN - AND auctions.
or auctions with a BIN price.
if you don't mind what is your ratio of BIN to auction?

my comp does 80% BIN, but most of the time they have quanties, then maybe 1 day of the week, say sunday night they'll have 50+ auction items ending all started at really low prices, so it ither ends unsold, or its sold at a lose or break even... almost like they use it as bread crumbs.

some have auctions ending everyday, so its just a toss up. But in general its way more BIN then auctions.

just trying to get my traction back GRR frustrating, and now having to take weeks to figure out which new tactic is going to catch.

im thinking of just doing BIN - till cancelled.
Las time i ran BIN it was just 10 days cause that is what the promo was for, like i said not bad, but not good, better then watching whole screens full of auctions end without any sales!!! that was NOT FUN

Have to relearn weekly cash flow as well.. with auctions as they went green i could see how well my week was going to turn out.. builds from monday to thursday.....cash out, restock, lets roll next week.

now its like, sit, wait, ummmmmmmmmm zzZZZzzzzz

Last edited by golden_monkey; 11-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2013

Longevity: 64%

Tell me this isn't a glitch. Yesterday a listing of mine ended and would not let me relist as I reached category limit. Today it let me relist and I have a 10 item acct. limit. I have 4 items listed and it says I can still list 7 more. Really, not where I went to school.
To answer your question, auction w/ BIN, sorry for the confusion. I also never kept records but I definitely see a trend from mostly BIN sales to more auctions and auctions that end with 1 bid. I also see a lot more pouncing at the last moment. The money is all green though.