eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Are You a Victim of eBay's Secret Policies? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/7262-you-victim-ebays-secret-policies.html)

Here We Go Again 09-23-2008 10:46 PM

Are You a Victim of eBay's Secret Policies?

It does not matter if your items are counterfeit items or authentic items because eBay just does not give a crap... LOL
Another lovely article about eBay's seller abuse....

eBay is removing auctions and suspending sellers who sell designer and famous name goods
Are You a Victim of eBay's Secret Policies? | Skip McGrath

imjustme 09-23-2008 11:36 PM

eBay doesn't care about counterfeit auctions as long as the trademark holder doesn't complain. If they removed all the counterfeits they would lose a huge part of their profit.

Quasi_Mojo 09-23-2008 11:39 PM

This article should explain some of the issues Modee and others have been experiencing with listing and revising listings for designer items.

Jonas 09-24-2008 12:37 AM

I mentioned in another thread I found that eBay makes some accounts immune to violations no matter what they do, some accounts normal, and other accounts they make up violations for every little thing.

mantisinc 09-24-2008 01:58 PM

Hmm, I have to disagree that eBay does not care if counterfiet listings are sold.

When a counterfiet is bought via eBay, or seen being sold on eBay, it gives a very negative impression to the buyer. This is exactly what eBay is trying to steer away from.

If they didn't care about counterfiet listings, they wouldn't make it so obvious and necassary about VeRO sign ups, and put warnings and such up. What's more, is they don't want any more lawsuits coming their way.

I'd say keeping counterfeits off eBay is fairly high up their agenda.

aking 09-24-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imjustme (Post 59366)
eBay doesn't care about counterfeit auctions as long as the trademark holder doesn't complain. If they removed all the counterfeits they would lose a huge part of their profit.

So how does the trademark holder find out? Do they search ebay and just randomly pick stuff they think is suspect??

aking 09-24-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas (Post 59384)
I mentioned in another thread I found that eBay makes some accounts immune to violations no matter what they do, some accounts normal, and other accounts they make up violations for every little thing.

So what is ebay's formula for deciding whos account gets watched closely and whose doesn't?

Here We Go Again 09-24-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aking (Post 59466)
So how does the trademark holder find out? Do they search ebay and just randomly pick stuff they think is suspect??

Either the REAL VERO trademark holder does search eBay every few days and pulls auctions they "think" are counterfeit.
OR
They have it set up to where ALL new auctions are sent to them by eBay.
I do not really know for sure.

aking 09-24-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Here We Go Again (Post 59472)
Either the REAL VERO trademark holder does search eBay every few days and pulls auctions they "think" are counterfeit.
OR

ok, is there a list of all Official VERO items? If someone could direct me to it that would be great. Thanks.

divine422 09-24-2008 02:26 PM

I personally dont think ebay cares about selling counterfeit items on their site either but they do care about lawsuits thats for sure. Technically its not that hard for someone working for a company to find new listings on certain products. All you have to do is subscribe to certain keywords .."Chanel...Gucci ..etc etc". They will always get updates on listings that use these keywords. Ebay is simply trying to protect themselves, its already proven that sellers, buyers are just apart of the extended bigger picture..our money however is part of the immediate picture. How can they possibly reduce risk (for them) and maximize profit...slash and burn style.

Addixtion 09-24-2008 03:38 PM

ambercolour 09-24-2008 05:35 PM

yep 99% of merchandise on ebay is ⊗⊗⊗⊗, take them away and ebay is fudged compeltly!

I want a pair of unbranded non-nike airmax.. sure ya do!

Here We Go Again 09-24-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addixtion (Post 59491)

That is the list of Official VERO holders.
There is also another list of BRAND NAMES that will trigger the "Don't list this item for the next 30 days".
That list is a "Secret" eBay list.

mantisinc 09-25-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambercolour (Post 59510)
yep 99% of merchandise on ebay is ⊗⊗⊗⊗

That's a complete load of balls.

Jonas 09-25-2008 02:38 AM

Trademark holders have no way to know if something is counterfeit. Sorting through tons of listings in eBay's site that is slow and high bandwidth and even full of some sellers that put hostile javascript in their listing that hacks your mouse or awful music, well it takes too much time to go through more than 20 listings. I've read not on ebay, but on websites they have DMCA bots that just scrape websites and if a word matches something they send an automatic fraudulent DMCA to them.

So I believe VEROs just use scraper bots that go through active listings, searching by title, and gather up listing numbers, then report them all. I think they have some filter or something that might exclude people with 100,000 feedback scores or more or titanium and diamond level powersellers (well there's just 1 diamond level and that's buy.com). They could also exclude someone just selling a single vero item but that's likely too much work and computing power a bot so likely the bot just gives up after a while and if it misses you, then likely buyers will have a hard time finding you, too.

Here We Go Again 09-25-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas (Post 59577)
Trademark holders have no way to know if something is counterfeit.

Your statement is incorrect. I am NOT a trademark holder and I can usually tell a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ item just by the picture.
Lets say that Prada makes a box. That box comes in special color shades with special patterns on it.
Well I see this Prada box for sell on eBay. But this item has a weird strip around the middle.
It matches nothing that Prada makes. 99.9% of the time that will be a counterfeit Prada Box.
You can tell by the picture 90% of the time, IF you know what you are looking for.

Jonas 09-26-2008 12:42 AM

Here We Go Again, wouldn't the counterfeiter just use a picture of a real Prada box and then sell a counterfeit item with the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ box?

Here We Go Again 09-26-2008 12:45 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^
You would think so....
But then the buyer can get you on bait & switch.

Jonas 09-26-2008 01:28 AM

Or wouldn't they then just make the picture small or blurry? And take a different larger clear pic from an angle that didn't show whatever it is on Prada boxes.

GreenBean 09-26-2008 01:30 AM

Jonas, have a read of a thread in ebay australia forum: the user got into deep cr*p for an item worth AU$3.00. Not good news for anyone.

still can't show the damn threads:rolleyes:

Jonas 09-26-2008 01:37 AM

GreenBean, what is the URL?

Also, what are good ways to detect counterfeits when buying?
I got...
1) Being an expert in the product to spot inconsistencies.

But that's all.

From what I know, is the belows correct..?

* Low prices are not always proof of a counterfeit.
* Imports are not always proof all the time.
* Not having a picture of the actual product does not always mean counterfeit because the person could be dropshipping or selling a used item and not having a camera to hook up to their computer, though with cell phones the later is becoming rare.

Ebay_Victim 10-13-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Here We Go Again (Post 59472)
OR

if you sell LV, Coach, Tiffany, they'll want you to list a link somewhere in the auctions that says authentic, and how you can tell its authentic. Thats how they pull out. Even if you list 1 day, they'll pull it out, but you can still get away w it. i sold coach before, and i tried listing C O A C H, it still got pulled.

a good way to find ⊗⊗⊗⊗, is just google it. google LV ⊗⊗⊗⊗

They even limit brand name makeup under $10-$15. Theres a guy i see listing same pics, same listings, same descriptions, same country, and he has tonz of accounts. I had to wait 30 days to list my makeup. i have no idea how he can list 10+ brand names while the account was made same day.