How much on eBay is actually genuine?! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 02-26-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 55%
Default How much on eBay is actually genuine?!

Not entirely sure if this is the kinda thing that's cool to post on here, feel free to delete the post if not BUT wanted to discuss this with some other actual eBay sellers (I'm new to the whole thing, don't know anyone else that does it)

Basically I've spent the past two days looking for new sources/new products etc... to expand my business, at some point during this process I got bored and decided to go down the rabbit whole of what you'd call less than legitimate products from China. Ended up finding a site offering everything from macbooks, ipads, iphones to games consoles, new games etc...

(just to point out, I would never ever buy anything from somewhere like that, I've never bought anything from China and don't plan to start)

but it got me thinking, and when I had a quick look on eBay I saw people selling these items, for VERY similar prices if you swap the $ for a £ then looking at their feedback I see people saying the seller is actually from HK.

I won't name names, but on a few of these items they are the very top result, and are selling apple products for £200-300 less than apple, claiming it's brand new and genuine, which all just makes me incredibly suspicious!

Maybe I'm just overly synical but I really am starting to doubt the authenticity of the vast majority of stuff on eBay, what makes it even more annoying is these huge HK based sellers that seem to be able to get away with anything, when so many genuine sellers like myself and many on this forum get screwed constantly!

Anyway, this post was too long, just looking for what others think!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-26-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%
Default Re: How much on eBay is actually genuine?!

With Apple, like with sellers selling 1000+ IPads , I'm almost positive than they are legitimate and the only way they can sell that volume of Apple products is that they are an authorized Dealer

Apple is very Strict , and wouldn't allow for a seller to pump out thousands of Knock off IPads or Mac Books

Now of course their always be a few sellers selling junk but not in volume with that Brand, and they are usually suspended quick
Old 02-26-2015
Threadstarter  

Yeah the only thing that made me wonder about it is the fact that they're apparently hong kong based, and selling for like £200 less than apple do, obviously I'm nowhere near a big enough buyer to be able to into being an authorized dealer for apple! But can they really be selling them wholesale laptops so cheap that they can afford to sell them for that little, and still make a profit after fees and shipping?

The only other reason I thought it was possible is that this chinese supplier is saying it comes with a full year apple warranty.

Made me think they may not be ⊗⊗⊗⊗, but since apple do make all their products in China, could be a 'fallen off the back of a truck' element to it!
Old 02-26-2015

Longevity: 58%

Number 1 rule when buying from China, don't buy electronics. they will break. I buy acne extractors, toys, etc...never had a problem. I know people who sell headphones, chargers, cases, etc...are always non-legit. They buy from china and they use the words "compatible with" so they don't get in trouble with apple (or other companies).
Old 02-26-2015

Activity: 3%
Longevity: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers4492 View Post
what makes it even more annoying is these huge HK based sellers that seem to be able to get away with anything, when so many genuine sellers like myself and many on this forum get screwed constantly!
It's called business, remember ebay has POWERFUL lawyers, this is why it is more or less impossible to take them to court. Because they always say it is not our fault we use the PLATFORM to sell upon and they LOBBY the US governments HEAVILY!

They do CARE about profits and they know the CN sellers are willing to make less profits then the US sellers and undercut the US sellers because it is business Ebay have no morals what is right or wrong neither does paypal, all they care about is % they get from the HK sellers. Many of the HK sellers use the same paypal accounts to accept the money and many of them are women sellers.
Old 02-26-2015

Longevity: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
It's called business, remember ebay has POWERFUL lawyers, this is why it is more or less impossible to take them to court. Because they always say it is not our fault we use the PLATFORM to sell upon and they LOBBY the US governments HEAVILY!

They do CARE about profits and they know the CN sellers are willing to make less profits then the US sellers and undercut the US sellers because it is business Ebay have no morals what is right or wrong neither does paypal, all they care about is % they get from the HK sellers. Many of the HK sellers use the same paypal accounts to accept the money and many of them are women sellers.
For all you know, that hong kong seller could be sitting right behind you at Starbucks as we speak. Different Countries have different laws and eBay doesn't seem to care about Hong Kong's sellers selling certain items as well as sellers in China. I've said this before Counterfeiting is not illegal in China, my friend went over there to teach and she bought back some gifts for people and the prices she paid well my jar dropped. But once it crosses over into another jurisdiction then that's when the IP Issues start. Mitt Romney said in a debate or speech that there were bootleg Apple Stores in China, apparently that bothered him that he voiced his concern on national television. Furthermore a lot of the stuff that isn't legit and the government seizes their suppose to destroy, but I'm ASSUMING a lot of this merchandise is EXPORTED. But then again who the F**K am I?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J dub 1984 For This Useful Post:
solefoodbk (02-26-2015), yankee (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

I posted about this earlier and decided it may create a long offshoot and deleted it. Asian countries oftentimes have the ability to sell to USA and break all MAP rules, etc... as long as the items are being shipped from the Asian country.
Old 02-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by J dub 1984 View Post
For all you know, that hong kong seller could be sitting right behind you at Starbucks as we speak. Different Countries have different laws and eBay doesn't seem to care about Hong Kong's sellers selling certain items as well as sellers in China. I've said this before Counterfeiting is not illegal in China, my friend went over there to teach and she bought back some gifts for people and the prices she paid well my jar dropped. But once it crosses over into another jurisdiction then that's when the IP Issues start. Mitt Romney said in a debate or speech that there were bootleg Apple Stores in China, apparently that bothered him that he voiced his concern on national television. Furthermore a lot of the stuff that isn't legit and the government seizes their suppose to destroy, but I'm ASSUMING a lot of this merchandise is EXPORTED. But then again who the F**K am I?

I don't know who have told you that but replicas are super illegal in china, there are so many factorys out there its very hard to control it.

Ebay can't do much to the ppl that are selling replicas except suspend their accounts but the owners of those brands can sue you and if the ebay is not stealth it will be even easier.
Old 02-26-2015

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 58%

Quote:
Whoa thank you for that information.

I didn't even know the thing about selling counterfeites in Chinca being legal?

Old 02-26-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
I posted about this earlier and decided it may create a long offshoot and deleted it. Asian countries oftentimes have the ability to sell to USA and break all MAP rules, etc... as long as the items are being shipped from the Asian country.
Haha yeah it seems that is exactly what's happening. I don't know about the USA but in the UK a lot of the chinese sellers are sending over workers to rent a small warehouse to send their stock through, meaning they have a UK address and can claim to be a UK seller even though it's just a front for a Chinese seller, makes it even harder to compete with them over here!

Still wonder if it's possible that they could be selling either very high quality knock offs, or items that have "gone missing" from the factories on eBay for such reduced prices though.
Old 02-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Haha yeah it seems that is exactly what's happening. I don't know about the USA but in the UK a lot of the chinese sellers are sending over workers to rent a small warehouse to send their stock through, meaning they have a UK address and can claim to be a UK seller even though it's just a front for a Chinese seller, makes it even harder to compete with them over here!
I am sure there is huge tax savings as well. HK Companies are very well tax structured especially if money is being turned into RMB and traded with China.
Old 02-27-2015

Quote:
Selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗ is illegal in China, there is much pressure from the CCP from the trademark brands, even UGG are taking local chinese to courts.. just look on the internet.. it ALL depends how powerful your networking is within mainland China, everything in China is about networking, which brings you money. If you have no networking you nothing. This is no longer 1999 or year 2000 when you can buy out any CCP official with a brand new car or have there son and daughter guarantee placement in a western university this is 2015 and china is the worlds economic superpower, FACE value is very important to the chinese, and selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗ does not look good for there government. Many people on taobao are caught for selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗ brands, just have a look at the news on baidu, selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗ brands and they are caught for it.

Your friend is a teacher in china and she is also a foreigner, because she is a foreigner and not local the prices increases 50%. Also instead of being a teacher as most westerns teach english, go and set up a business in china and trade with the chinese and see how hard it can be. I believe if you can deal in china or any other SE asian country, you gifted.. because the country as no welfare, there is no human rights and you have to depend on yourself, from this it makes people stronger to depend on yourself.

Sure you get the odd news about selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗ Apple stores in china or maybe the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ Samsung store, but the CCP will clamp down on there fast, believe me it's changed.. I know I been there since 2005 and its changed so much... for example in 2005 you used to see all of the taxis which were the old VW Jetta's from the 1980s.. and you were caged in.. now they are all brand new air con taxi's.. I think they are going in the correct direction and I find they have far more morality than people in the west.. I seem to feel there is a shift going on this this world.. the western countries are becoming more communist and china and south east asia is becoming more freedoms and capitalist
Old 02-27-2015
Threadstarter  

If you're saying you live in China then you're obviously the expert Jak, but I find it impossible to believe that their is any real significant moves to stop counterfeiting honestly!

All you have to do is look on DHGate or Aliexpress and you'll see literally hundreds of thousands of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ of everything from Nutribullet to Apple Laptops and Beats by Dre! The Chineses either directly counterfeit or copy just about everything that you can imagine, including directly ripping off cars (most recently I saw a direct copy of the Land Rover sport is being sold in China) There are constant stories in China of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ apple stores etc... popping up and being shut down but that doesn't stop the fact that there must be ENORMOUS factories with tons of workers making these ⊗⊗⊗⊗ products by the tens of thousands!

I just refuse to believe that as a country if China really cared about stopping the production, sale and export of illegal counterfeit goods that these factories would exist!
Old 02-28-2015

Quote:
If you're saying you live in China then you're obviously the expert Jak, but I find it impossible to believe that their is any real significant moves to stop counterfeiting honestly!

All you have to do is look on DHGate or Aliexpress and you'll see literally hundreds of thousands of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ of everything from Nutribullet to Apple Laptops and Beats by Dre! The Chineses either directly counterfeit or copy just about everything that you can imagine, including directly ripping off cars (most recently I saw a direct copy of the Land Rover sport is being sold in China) There are constant stories in China of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ apple stores etc... popping up and being shut down but that doesn't stop the fact that there must be ENORMOUS factories with tons of workers making these ⊗⊗⊗⊗ products by the tens of thousands!

I just refuse to believe that as a country if China really cared about stopping the production, sale and export of illegal counterfeit goods that these factories would exist!
There is change under xi jinping, many chinese farmers like xi jinping, because they are clearing up the corrupted officials, under hu jintao, corruption was rampant, many farmers where chased off the land and when they sold the land for building to the local gov which give them peanuts, you could also buy off officials without a problem, BEFORE. If you remember that in HK they were protesting again.. The REAL reason why they are protesting about, because they do not want to be part of mainland china, and want to "two system policy" and I remember a few months ago the CCP refused british MP to enter HK.. when you start seeing this kind of activity you know there is change. ... BBC News - China blocks British MPs' visit to Hong Kong

All you need to go is meet someone who been china pre 2000, and ask them, what china was like back THEN, and compare the same TODAY and they will tell you exactly. And compare to the UK before 2000 and today... everything the same.. no new airports, we're in DEBT, we have infrastructure from 1920s... and we have a welfare system which is a joke in China everything is new, and they have low external debt, unlike the UK where the debt is 406% external, and NO welfare system!

I remember in 2005 I was in this shopping mall and the traders openly said that these are mirror quality LV bags........ he said they are the "best quality"... fast forward to 2015 you never see this kind of stalls, everything is underground. Before the factories used to work during the day time and they were very open about the ⊗⊗⊗⊗, today the factories work during the evening and no one talks about ⊗⊗⊗⊗, during the day time they doing OEM products.

Yes there is many people on DHGate and Aliexpress, and I said Taobao however most of these people are direct from the factory, to limit the risk to get caught, this is why they can under cut the middle man. Additionally most of these people use ⊗⊗⊗⊗ accounts to sell on Aliexpress and are generally the same seller using different account names, similar to stealth accounts.

All these stories about apple ⊗⊗⊗⊗ in the apple shop from the verified seller, and the samsung store, and yes the landrover I read that too, and do not forget about those ⊗⊗⊗⊗ chinese eggs hehe, however most of these stories are from western media, attacking indirectly china image, because they are jealous that china is becoming a new superpower of wealth and the western countries are all debt ridden. Believe me.. how many times you get from people that they cannot pay for a product because they do not get paid until next week or whatever... this SHOWS there is no cash.. in the west........ go to china and see how many people are driving around in brand new bentleys, benz, bmw, range-rovers and etc and remember there is no income tax in china or council tax I think, and the 4 richest companies in the world according to forbes are chinese.

However the western news never talk about that the police go to the chinese verified stores and check if the products are original or ⊗⊗⊗⊗, and sometimes the police even prosecute companies such as nike for over pricing the products compared to the prices in the US or UK. This is what the western media never talks about.

Global Economic Intersection this article explains that the products in China and more expensive than the US, yet the western media never talks about it Like I said GO there and judge for yourself.. if you like money I think you like china.

Last edited by jak; 02-28-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2015

Longevity: 53%

Half of ebay is a chinatown It's an endless war between veros and chinatown sellers.