Starting item, price and shipping cost determines 0/0 limits - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-11-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 50%
Default Starting item, price and shipping cost determines 0/0 limits

So I created a fully verified PayPal account and create an eBay account and bought two items. I waited about 10 days before listing my first item, and with that I listed a dollar store screen protector for lower than ebay's suggested price and shipping (It suggested $2 w/ 2.54 shipping but I started at 1 cent with reduced shiping). But after I listed, I got hit with 0/0 limits and was told to call in to discuss my selling goals. Seems that eBay doesn't think I'm an everyday "new seller from home", which is absolutely right, so I have this. I first suspected it was my phone, but I thought I'd try a different experiment.

As calling eBay is not exactly my best option, I thought I'd create a new seller under the same PayPal account (same browser, IP, address, everything). I logged out, clicked 'sell' and registered a new user (Under a new email), created a listing linking to the same PayPal account, and I used eBay's suggested values and shipping costs (Yes, eBay, I'm a completely clueless new user and I need all the guidance you can provide...) and my item is for sale with 5/$500 limits. Hooah!

Sure, in time, this account might get limited but I had nothing to lose in experimenting. If they let me sell one, I don't see why they'd limit me later to "discuss my goals".

So, it seems that if ebay thinks you're an experienced seller, you get 0/0 limits to "discuss your goals". If you seem like a complete n00b selling an everyday college book or 'around the house' item (Not anything electronic related, including screen protectors.), they'll give you a chance to prove yourself a worthy seller.

(Btw, it's obvious they use algorithms to assign 0/0 limits as they make the decision in 5 seconds or less. Item category, starting prices and shipping seem like the biggest factors.)

Last edited by swbluto; 09-11-2015 at 12:56 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-11-2015

Longevity: 76%
Default Re: Starting item, price and shipping cost determines 0/0 limits

Calling on 0/0 limits you have nothing to lose.

Was a thread here the other day on how to work the system - use the search function it will help you a LOT
Old 09-11-2015
Threadstarter  

Already read the thread. Can't call in, won't discuss.
Old 09-11-2015

You cant call in or dont want to call in?
Old 09-11-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
You cant call in or dont want to call in?
I guess he has low confidence being someone else. Nothing wrong with knowing your limits.
Old 09-11-2015

Ah OK, my question was genuine though I wasn't sure if it was a case of couldn't or wouldn't. Fair play to you OP, make more accounts. Account creation does come into play.

What's your current setup like? Could you improve so you don't get 0/0...

What phone?
Which CC / VCC?
Old 09-11-2015
Threadstarter  

Well, it's more due to my phone number looking something like '15-315' on caller id. Decidedly not a California number.
Old 09-11-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbluto View Post
Well, it's more due to my phone number looking something like '15-315' on caller id. Decidedly not a California number.
Then that will be your 0-0

Pretty much REAL PHONES or at least real phone numbers are needed to not get 0-0 If not, you will have to call in.

I use an app on all my accounts I want high limits on right from day one. I do this because I will get 0-0 limits instantly even if selling in business industrial that have NO selling limits.
Old 09-11-2015
Threadstarter  

They can't tell if they call me, but they can tell if I call them. So, it's not the phone number - Using the same phone number on both accounts, they let me list the average priced book with 5/$500 limits, but the 1 cent screen protector got 0/0 limits.

Mystery app sounds intriguing.

I'm getting a cellie next week, so I'll try again to see if it improves.

Last edited by swbluto; 09-11-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2015

What type of number did you add to that account that had 0/0 regardless of caller IDs. Where did you get the number from?
Old 09-11-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
What type of number did you add to that account that had 0/0 regardless of caller IDs. Where did you get the number from?
Exactly.
The number is the issue.
Old 09-11-2015
Threadstarter  

People using cell-phones are getting 5/$500's all day long. Obviously, it's not the phone in my case since I got the same exact kind of account cell-phone users are getting. It's the starting item.

If it was "the phone" (Such as Google Voice), I would've got 0/0 with both users. But, I didn't - I got 5/$500 with the college textbook.
Old 09-11-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
People using cell-phones are getting 5/$500's all day long. Obviously, it's not the phone in my case since I got the same exact kind of account cell-phone users are getting. It's the starting item.

If it was "the phone" (Such as Google Voice), I would've got 0/0 with both users. But, I didn't - I got 5/$500 with the college textbook.
I use net 10 phone numbers and I have been getting 1000/25k accounts all week long. I am up to 36 accounts made this week out of 70 on the list. Around 80% of the accounts made are 500/5k or 1000/25k accounts, I'm not kidding. About 5 accounts are 5/500.
Old 09-11-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotano211 View Post
I use net 10 phone numbers and I have been getting 1000/25k accounts all week long. I am up to 36 accounts made this week out of 70 on the list. Around 80% of the accounts made are 500/5k or 1000/25k accounts, I'm not kidding. About 5 accounts are 5/500.
Are you using 'creative' names/addresses or more or less "authentic" ones? Is your paypal 100% verified and you put both a bank account and credit card on ebay? I'm getting a strong feeling there's more to it than your phone number. Something in your account creation method must be 'highly validating'.

Then again, I know paypal/ebay has direct access to the cell networks (That's why numbers not on those networks can't receive their texts), so they can tell which service provider your cell is using, and might adjust ratings accordingly. I'm guessing net10's networks doesn't have a lot of 'stealthers' using it unlike Tracfone's networks.

It looks like net10 uses 4 different networks (Sprint, verizon, t-mobile & AT&T). Do you know which network your cell is using?

There's a way to tell at How to Tell Which Network (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon) a TracFone, NET10 or Straight Talk Phone Uses | Prepaid Phone News .

Edit: It seems that TracFone prefers T-mobile & Sprint (The discount networks, a natural favorite of stealthers), while net10 has phones on t-mobile, AT&T and Verizon. It appears prepaid/numbers on the AT&T and Verizon networks would probably be the 'best' phones.

Last edited by swbluto; 09-11-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2015

Longevity: 69%

I used tracfone with att network. The results seems not quite positive (most of them are 5/500), but it may be due to other reasons. Just FYI.
Old 09-11-2015
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the headsup. I just noticed AT&T is on the GSM networks (Older, cheaper technology), so it'd make sense it wouldn't be a 'great network' assuming it has cheap "stealth-friendly" offerings (Thru vendors like tracfone). It appears Sprint and Verizon have CDMA networks, so those are probably 'good' (But, probably not GSM-sprint... if it exists...? Basically, if it has a SIM card meaning a GSM network, probably not "great").

The thing with CDMA is that each phone number is tied to a phone (minimum investment) and they are typically higher cost per month. But, heh, I guess that makes sense - you get what you pay for.

Edit: It appears sprint has both GSM and CDMA networks, while verizon is also on both GSM and CDMA. Can they tell if a number is on a CDMA vs. GSM network? So much data I need to acquire, lol.

Interesting. Carrier lookups: International Numbering Plans, © 2001-2015

Seems that with a tool like this, you could /probably/ detect a tracfone number. I don't have a tracfone, though, so it's an open question.

According to How to detect a type of network GSM/CDMA by phone number - Quora, and from what I've seen of carrier lookups, it doesn't seem like you can determine a GSM # from a CDMA #, only the network provider. Still curious what the 'provider' looks like for an AT&T tracfone with the above tool...

I'm guessing T-mobile and AT&T are blackballed by ebay. Sprint is an open question (Tracfone uses it), and verizon generally seems good.

Last edited by swbluto; 09-11-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2015
Threadstarter  

Surprise, surprise, got the suspension email on the new user. Original user stands intact with 0/0 limits with no email yet. Time to call this one a loss and write it off; still learned a valuable lesson in the 'starting item' factor.

Seems like they really want me to call them... Since when did ebay all of a sudden have an accessible phone crew? lol.

Quote:
Hello bob_smith,

After reviewing your eBay account, recent activity has raised serious security concerns. As a result, we've taken the following action on your account:
- Your eBay account has been suspended indefinitely.
- Item listings have been removed. A list of removed items is available further down in this email.

You won't be able to use eBay in any way. This includes using another existing account or registering a new account. Any outstanding selling fees are due immediately, and any amounts that you haven't previously disputed will be charged to the billing method currently on file.

We've taken this precaution to protect our members while we make sure that the activity doesn't cause harm -- however unintentionally -- to the eBay community.

Here are the listings we removed:
321862198165 - A book...
321886217835 - A stamp...

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

Last edited by swbluto; 09-12-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotano211 View Post
Fairly certain there's more to it than the Net10 vs Tracfone. Care to explain your account creation process?
Old 09-13-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

eBay limits new accounts after the first item is listed at random. That is all that the OP experienced. These are fairly easy to overcome. You just call in and they ask a few questions, such as what do you plan to sell, how are you going to ship the merchandise and where you bought whatever it was you listed. 75% of the time, they will restore the account.

So, the OP created the second account and was NOT hit with the random check where eBay wants you to call in. But he WAS found to be opening multiple accounts, so that one was closed and I am guessing that the first one - the one that got the 0/0 limits - will be suspended soon, if it is not already.

It is great that the OP is trying to be analytical here, but the problem is that he is making too many assumptions about how the process works by GUESSING that A causes B when he really does not know for sure that A really DID cause B.

How do I know that the limitation is random, commonly referred to as the "New MC999"? Because some of my accounts get hit with those sometimes. I have called eBay several times when that happens. Once, I asked sheepishly "what did I do wrong?" and the rep told me flat out that this is a random check for new users and that I did nothing wrong to cause this to happen. It really IS an easy call to make. But the OP is correct that you have to be able to use the number you created the account with, because eBay reps DO have caller ID.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
GhostOfAmazon (09-13-2015), last3379 (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015
Threadstarter  

I assumed it wasn't random because the screen protector had the brand name in the title, "IPhone 5", and the ebay listing guide had product options that directly indicated it thought I was listing a cell phone. ("Features" had options like anti-glare, anti-scratch, voice recognition, etc.) So, I assume I was limited because the 'first listing' bot decided I had a high-risk item. But, it /could/ have very well been random.
The Following User Says Thank You to swbluto For This Useful Post:
last3379 (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015
Speeder33

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
I assumed it wasn't random because the screen protector had the brand name in the title, "IPhone 5", and the ebay listing guide had product options that directly indicated it thought I was listing a cell phone. ("Features" had options like anti-glare, anti-scratch, voice recognition, etc.) So, I assume I was limited because the 'first listing' bot decided I had a high-risk item. But, it /could/ have very well been random.
Most new account call-in notices or "new mc999s" are random. However, listing a high risk item will move you to the top of the list, and you will be asked to call in/suspended. Try low-risk household items. Anything with the word "iPhone" is just begging for trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
last3379 (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015

Longevity: 73%

Quote:
Surprise, surprise, got the suspension email on the new user. Original user stands intact with 0/0 limits with no email yet. Time to call this one a loss and write it off; still learned a valuable lesson in the 'starting item' factor.

Seems like they really want me to call them... Since when did ebay all of a sudden have an accessible phone crew? lol.
Maybe every 10th account i make ebay calls me 30 minutes after putting my listing up. 2 times it was for listing a ps3 game. They just ask a few simple questions and its all good.

If you make the account after ebay phone hours maybe you get the 0/0 until you call in and answer the same simple questions that they ask me?

I am in Canada so it might be different there. Dont be afraid to call with any number, worst case they don't up your limit and you make another account 10 minutes later.
The Following User Says Thank You to last3379 For This Useful Post:
swbluto (09-14-2015)