IP different on different sites - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-02-2015

Activity: 26%
Longevity: 58%
Default IP different on different sites

I just bought a AT&T go phone mifi and after setting up it when I google "ip" it shows a public IP but when I check on IPchicken it shows something completely different.

I was tethering using Verizon and never saw this happen. No idea which IP I should trust to document when all sites say they are providing the true IP. Anyone else have this happen to them???

Its not showing a Static IP as the "public IP" either. If I shut down the mifi and restart it the public IP changes and so does the IP on IPchicken...
Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-03-2015
Threadstarter  

Default Re: IP different on different sites

This is really bugging me...if any one knows why or have seen themselves please let me know!!

It doesn't make sense for two IP's to be changing every time I reset the mifi.
Old 12-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%

Try:
https://www.google.com/search?q=what...utf-8&oe=utf-8

What's My IP

What Is My IP Address? IP Address Tools and More

https://www.whatismyip.com/
Old 12-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

What I would do is to go to www.iplocation.net - It shows results from 5 geolocation databases. Often, different databases show different locations for the same IP address. IP addresses, in and of themselves, do not transmit any location information. So, websites rely on the geolocation databases if they want to know where their visitors are coming from. The problem is, each database is only as accurate as the updates it receives. When the internet first started, the geolocation databases were nearly 100% correct. But, over time, IP addresses change hands, move from one data center to another and so on, so that over time, these databases are not nearly as accurate as they once were. This is the reason eBay will not automatically ban an account located in Denver that shows a Chicago IP address. But whenever I hook up a VPN or a VPS, I always try to make sure the location matches the account. Which is one of the big reasons I love my provider - theirs almost ALWAYS show up in the right spot. If you order a Chicago VPN, you GET a VPN that shows up in Chicago. With many services, you can order a Chicago VPN and it shows up in Buffalo, NY, or Denver, CO or anywhere BUT Chicago.

The database I trust most is Eureka. For an account that is in good standing, location does not matter very much, although it is PREFERABLE for the location to be relatively close to where the account is located. But for CREATING new accounts, the location DOES make a difference - sometimes a BIG difference - in the limits your account will receive from eBay.

And in ALL instances, the location MUST show up in the USA. If it shows up outside of the US, you are putting your account at risk.

Last edited by jeffweico; 12-03-2015 at 12:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
solefoodbk (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015

Longevity: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
Which is one of the big reasons I love my provider - theirs almost ALWAYS show up in the right spot. If you order a Chicago VPN, you GET a VPN that shows up in Chicago. With many services, you can order a Chicago VPN and it shows up in Buffalo, NY, or Denver, CO or anywhere BUT Chicago.
one of the vpn services i have been using gave me a canadian and a USA ip and both of them resolved to hong kong according to paypal
waste of money because paypal put a full limitation on those accounts real quick after the sales started coming in

i have a different vpn that i use that is 100% location accurate great software great customer service
Old 12-03-2015
Threadstarter  

I suppose I'll check that iplocation.net site tomorrow afternoon. I'm not new to tracking IP's, that's why this is troublesome.

I know when you just google "ip" it shows you your ip. The ip showing in google search contradicted the one shown in IPchicken and a few other sites. I need to double check which exact websites differed in ip's. The location to my knowledge was the same. It's just if they both change when I reset the ip so I don't know which one is the accurate ip. I don't even get why they tell me two different ip's to begin with.

The ENTIRE ip changes so maybe if I have the first 6 numbers I can go off that. I don't know...

I understand what your saying Jeff. I'll re-read it tomorrow when I'm not tired. It's gotta be something I'm overlooking but I do know the IP's differ from site to site which they shouldn't be. I've never used AT&T before for IP's, suppose its a minor learning curve.
Old 12-03-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
one of the vpn services i have been using gave me a canadian and a USA ip and both of them resolved to hong kong according to paypal
waste of money because paypal put a full limitation on those accounts real quick after the sales started coming in

i have a different vpn that i use that is 100% location accurate great software great customer service
Wait what?

You said the service you have been using gave you canadian and usa ip's that resolved to hong kong?

Rephrase that...
Old 12-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
Wait what?

You said the service you have been using gave you canadian and usa ip's that resolved to hong kong?

Rephrase that...
yes thats what i said. theres nothing to rephrase. they told me the ips were respectively in canada and in the usa. 2 separate ip's that i purchased in 2 specific cities. they both resolved to HK according to paypal. when i went to sign up they sent me to pp.com/whatever/hk/ and i had to manually change the hk to ca or us. accounts got limited super fast anyway
Old 12-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
yes thats what i said. theres nothing to rephrase. they told me the ips were respectively in canada and in the usa. 2 separate ip's that i purchased in 2 specific cities. they both resolved to HK according to paypal. when i went to sign up they sent me to pp.com/whatever/hk/ and i had to manually change the hk to ca or us. accounts got limited super fast anyway
This is another problem with the cheap services. Many of them are on servers outside the US and made to look like they are INSIDE the US. If anything goes wrong with their setup and the REAL locations shows through, your accounts are TOAST!
Old 12-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
This is another problem with the cheap services. Many of them are on servers outside the US and made to look like they are INSIDE the US. If anything goes wrong with their setup and the REAL locations shows through, your accounts are TOAST!
Yep exactly. This isn't a cheap service though, just a shoddy one. It's actually slightly more expensive than the go-to slam dunk one that I use.
Old 12-03-2015
Threadstarter  

OK, so here is what I found when going to that site.

Your right about different locations for one. Makes sense because if its a AT&T go phone mifi, alot of other people use it or with their phones. Now this site matches googles IP which is 107.107.56.204

IPchicken, Whats MY IP say my IP is 107.77.70.83

The IPlocation shows me the same IP just in different states. These other websites show me a completely different IP all together. How do I know which site is showing the correct information?