eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Buyer asking for return because doesn't want item anymore (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/91905-buyer-asking-return-because-doesnt-want-item-anymore.html)

gamer1028 12-11-2015 03:25 PM

Buyer asking for return because doesn't want item anymore

So this person clearly just wanted an item returned. I'm not that type of person who is going to refuse a refund if I'm asked though. Their have been cases where I misdescribed an item and I gave the buyer a full refund and told them they could keep the item. This person blatantly is wanting a return just because they don't want the item, I have a no refund policy. I know though if a buyer wants a refund you kinda have to give it or your gonna get screwed over. So I offered to give the person a refund. Anyway! I'm wondering how to prevent this in the future, It cost money to give people returns and I particially don't want people buying my stuff that will change their mind later. So I'm wondering if it would help people "ALL SALES FINAL!!" or doing something like that? Any tips on keeping people from returning simply because they don't want the item. Is it possibly to put a restocking fee, or no? Because it cost money to do this, not to mention I can't cancel the transaction afterwards to get my fee money back because I risk getting a defect. So I'm stuck paying for original shipping, fees, packaging, and time just because someone decided they didn't want the item anymore. I'm not going to refuse a return though because I have heard how that ends.

JamesNorth101 12-11-2015 04:47 PM

Re: Buyer asking for return because doesn't want item anymore

Really there is no way to get around having to give refunds now and then. eBay will just issue the refund if you dont.

gamer1028 12-11-2015 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 727901)
Really there is no way to get around having to give refunds now and then. eBay will just issue the refund if you dont.

Yea, I know that. Any tips on lower that amount of returns. I'm hoping maybe if I say all sales finale that they wont ask for a refund simply because they dont want the item anymore. I'm also wondering if your allowed to put a restocking fee? as it does cost money to return items

Burger Box Man 12-11-2015 05:59 PM

Ban the buyer after you return his item

JamesNorth101 12-11-2015 05:59 PM

If someone really wants a refund they will ask for one anyway. I dont think saying all sales are final will make that much difference to them.

In the UK we cannot charge restocking fees. Not sure about the US, but I would be surprised if you were allowed to (I will wait for other US posters to comment RE that!)

BigCJ 12-11-2015 06:39 PM

I find that when I put "ALL SALES ARE FINAL" It brings out the idiots who just want to show you that they can return the item(s)

I had that with a few game cards. No more than $2 with people saying they didnt want the item anymore. They do it just to be dciks since nothing other than the $2 comes out of their pockets.

gamer1028 12-11-2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCJ (Post 727924)
I find that when I put "ALL SALES ARE FINAL" It brings out the idiots who just want to show you that they can return the item(s)

I had that with a few game cards. No more than $2 with people saying they didnt want the item anymore. They do it just to be dciks since nothing other than the $2 comes out of their pockets.

Wow, 2$. That's just ridiculous

joesshooze 12-15-2015 04:58 PM

It is going to happen and it is just the cost of doing business on eb or anywhere else for that fact. I often have to take a return 45 days after somebody has worn my item or give them a discount because they found a misspelled word in my description. I have a no return policy and eb allowed a buyer to return an item for a full refund plus shipping and he hadn't even returned it yet 45 days after they had received & wore it.

phaz0rz 12-15-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamer1028 (Post 727915)
Yea, I know that. Any tips on lower that amount of returns. I'm hoping maybe if I say all sales finale that they wont ask for a refund simply because they dont want the item anymore. I'm also wondering if your allowed to put a restocking fee? as it does cost money to return items

In your return settings there are a list of reasons (which you can customize) that you will accept a return. By default "buyer changed mind" is selected, so by default a buyer can choose to return their order simply because they changed their mind. By putting "NO RETURNS" in big bold letter, you're just going to attract a bunch of scam artists. It will make it look like you're selling something shady, since a good seller with good products would have no reason to never accept any returns. Your plan is a recipe for disaster. eBay LOVES a seller who is devoted to customer service, and HATES a seller who refuses customer service.

Even with my most risky products I have more sales and better customers when I have 60-day free returns. A generous return policy makes your buyer more confident about the sale, and in my opinion, actually decreases the probability of complications down the road.

As for the restocking fee, that is an option for US eBay accounts but obviously not for other countries. As a part of my return policy I have the option of charging a restocking fee.