what exactly is vmware? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-29-2016
Banned

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 73%
Default what exactly is vmware?

never used it. looked it up and its still pretty vague. cloud storage something something something. so it store pictures and stuff?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-29-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%
Default Re: what exactly is vmware?

VMWare is a way of running more than 1 Windows OS at the same time. So for example, I'm running VMWare right now, I'm running dual monitors....so, on my left screen I'm working on the VMWare and on my Right Monitor I'm working on my regular Windows. Makes sense?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
Dufus (01-30-2016), rsot (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016
Banned

Longevity: 52%

In it's simplest term, it will let you create a computer within your computer.
Old 01-29-2016

Longevity: 67%

It's an alternative to having a lot of user accounts on your PC for stealth accounts... instead of having to switch user accounts to take care of messages/listings you can fire up your VMware virtual machine, do everything you need to, and move onto the next, without having to change PC/user account.

If you ever get a new PC, you can easily transfer your virtual machines to that as well, and not lose any cookie/machine trust.

Overall just a more efficient, and I'd argue more secure, way to run multiply stealth entities than user accounts on 1 pc.
Old 01-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts

VMware is awesome, it makes managing multiple accounts very easy, think of it like firefox except each tab is a new computer. So for example you can have five tabs open meaning you have 5 different computers running at the same time and if you combine that with a VPN you can literally have 5 different ip addresses running at the same time. So it makes multi-tasking between accounts extremely convenient and easy
Old 01-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Reminds of a virtual desktop kind of.
Old 01-30-2016

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 57%

What about the IP address?
Old 01-30-2016

Longevity: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
VMware is awesome, it makes managing multiple accounts very easy, think of it like firefox except each tab is a new computer. So for example you can have five tabs open meaning you have 5 different computers running at the same time and if you combine that with a VPN you can literally have 5 different ip addresses running at the same time. So it makes multi-tasking between accounts extremely convenient and easy
So it is like a bumped up version of more or less endless VPN's running simultaneously potentially 123, or as many as people can comfortably manage. As you eloquently explained each one has it's own ip address as well. Can the VMware just be downloaded and run as well or is there more to it than that?
Old 01-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieTosie View Post
So it is like a bumped up version of more or less endless VPN's running simultaneously potentially 123, or as many as people can comfortably manage. As you eloquently explained each one has it's own ip address as well. Can the VMware just be downloaded and run as well or is there more to it than that?
Hey Rosie, yeah its like having a blank computer when you first start in each tab, so you have to install an OS on it. What I do is I have a Windows XP iso image and I install that on each of my VMware tabs/images
Old 01-30-2016

Quote:
Hey Rosie, yeah its like having a blank computer when you first start in each tab, so you have to install an OS on it. What I do is I have a Windows XP iso image and I install that on each of my VMware tabs/images
Cheers 123, I have of course kept seeing VMware mentioned and have thought each time I read about it that it could be a great solution to being able to access several eBay/PayPal combinations on one computer without needing more than one monitor or anything else, does it work on iPads as well potentially? as these days the convenience of just being to use my iPad is ever increasing, and it is the comp I use for accessing my original Amazon account as well.
Old 01-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieTosie View Post
Cheers 123, I have of course kept seeing VMware mentioned and have thought each time I read about it that it could be a great solution to being able to access several eBay/PayPal combinations on one computer without needing more than one monitor or anything else, does it work on iPads as well potentially? as these days the convenience of just being to use my iPad is ever increasing, and it is the comp I use for accessing my original Amazon account as well.
I'm pretty sure they have an app for ipads as well but unfortunately have no idea how that one works or whether it would be a reliable solution as I only use them on computers/laptops
Old 01-30-2016

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they have an app for ipads as well but unfortunately have no idea how that one works or whether it would be a reliable solution as I only use them on computers/laptops
Right yes VM on the laptop is clearly the best and looking like most reliable possibility 123, definitely like the idea of being able to get that easy access to more than 1 eBay/PayPals on just the one laptop. Will have to do somemore reading up on installing it and how to operate it safely and securely without any risks of leaks or overlaps.
Old 01-30-2016
dbhana121

Longevity: 0%

I was wondering the exact same thing about this VMware, but how do IP's work? Do i need to get one vpn and buy like 5 dedicated IPs? Also, can i leave it running and access it from my phone/tablet? So are they like VPS's?
Old 01-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhana121 View Post
I was wondering the exact same thing about this VMware, but how do IP's work? Do i need to get one vpn and buy like 5 dedicated IPs? Also, can i leave it running and access it from my phone/tablet? So are they like VPS's?
Each VM can get the same IP it's shared by the host by NAT, or if your computer has multiple network cards, you can dedicate a network card to specific VMs.

For the easiest way, you're better off buying a VPN for each VM and set up the VPN inside each virtual machine.

Also, you can remotely control your VMs by installing softwares like teamviewer. I do this all the time.
Old 01-30-2016
dbhana121

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiN4RY View Post
Each VM can get the same IP it's shared by the host by NAT, or if your computer has multiple network cards, you can dedicate a network card to specific VMs.

For the easiest way, you're better off buying a VPN for each VM and set up the VPN inside each virtual machine.

Also, you can remotely control your VMs by installing softwares like teamviewer. I do this all the time.
So does VMware give you different machines? Or do you have to have seperate machines? Im completely confused of the concept, and is it paid?
Old 01-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiN4RY View Post

Good effort bro but your confusing newbies.
Old 01-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
So does VMware give you different machines? Or do you have to have seperate machines? Im completely confused of the concept, and is it paid?
Here is how it works...
1. You Download a Program such as VMWare Workstation
2. You either get a Windows Operation CD or a Downloaded Copy
3. You "CREATE" a VM Machine which basically means that you are now running another Windows OS inside the VMWare Workstation software.
Think of it as "Running a Program inside a Program".
Old 01-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
With a VMWare you can go different routes:
1. Get a VPN for each VMWare
2. You can have 1 device such as Phone Tethering running on 1 Machine and VPN on another.
3. VPS works fine as well
Old 01-30-2016
dbhana121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
Here is how it works...
1. You Download a Program such as VMWare Workstation
2. You either get a Windows Operation CD or a Downloaded Copy
3. You "CREATE" a VM Machine which basically means that you are now running another Windows OS inside the VMWare Workstation software.
Think of it as "Running a Program inside a Program".
Wait, so do these VMware workstations use my computers RAM, and Processor? Or are they seperate computers, in which you install a separate version of windows?
Old 01-30-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Wait, so do these VMware workstations use my computers RAM, and Processor? Or are they seperate computers, in which you install a separate version of windows?
Yes, it uses your RAM, Hard Drive Space and Processor...BUT you can define how much each VMWare uses. I run Windows 7, Windows XP, Linux and I set how much each uses. Remember, your running all these VMWares off your computer.
Old 01-30-2016
dbhana121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
Yes, it uses your RAM, Hard Drive Space and Processor...BUT you can define how much each VMWare uses. I run Windows 7, Windows XP, Linux and I set how much each uses. Remember, your running all these VMWares off your computer.
Alright, im going to try this tommorow, and see how it goes, thanks for yours and B4nary's help.
Old 01-30-2016

Longevity: 68%

Which version of VMware is best? Has anyone tried multiple versions and liked one verse the other? Or just go with the newest?