Is using a nickname on a bank account as the official ebay/paypal name fraud? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 02-15-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 50%
Default Is using a nickname on a bank account as the official ebay/paypal name fraud?

So, I bought a paypal/ebay account from someone on here with the name of (Just an example) of "Bob doltz". To make a deposit, I have to create an account with the name of "Bob doltz" or similar on it, so I can make deposits to it: I guess one way is to create a business bank account with a very similar name for the business, and another way is to create a subaccount from a paypal friendly bank that allows you to make a nickname you can make deposits in (Paypal deposits to "Bob doltz" which gets routed to my "Bob dolt" nicknamed subaccount.)

But, this is where I'm getting a little fuzzy. While I'm sure it's fine and dandy to use account nicknames as you please (Otherwise the bank wouldn't let you), the fact you're using said name on a paypal/ebay account could constitute fraud? (I.e., you're pretending to ebay that you're this person, when you're not.) I know in reality that ebay doesn't prosecute for this, they just close down accounts, but what if you were to use someone else's name and social on the ebay account? Would it be prosecuted as fraud if they found out? Would the bank care that you're obviously not using your name or a "real nickname" for the account, in fact you're obviously using someone else's name, and you're making rather large deposits into it? Would that tip off the bank to do a fraud investigation (I'm sure banks look more closely at accounts with large dollar amounts in it/flowing through), possibly in conjunction with ebay/paypal whose making the large deposits? Are there US banks that really don't care?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-15-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Is using a nickname on a bank account as the official ebay/paypal name fraud?

Most banks do not care what the name on the deposit is. Some of the smaller banks I use do not even show the stealth name on a deposit, it just shows that it came from Paypal. There are only a few banks that will close your account for mismatched deposits, unless you're moving hundreds of thousands of dollars per month.

It is not fraud to use an eBay/Paypal stealth account if you do it the way the forum suggests. It becomes fraud IF you use someone else's SSN, and you WILL be prosecuted for identity theft if you did that. You would be caught as soon as Paypal issued a 1099 for your sales in someone elses name. If you attach and EIN and upgrade to a business account, there's nothing fraudulent so there's nothing you can get in trouble for.

If operating an eBay Stealth account without an SSN attached to Paypal was considered fraud, this forum would not exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
Mitsu (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 50%
Default Re: Is using a nickname on a bank account as the official ebay/paypal name fraud?

So it'd become fraud when a 1099 was issued. I'm assuming that's because said person with the SSN now "owes money" to the IRS, just like opening credit cards using someone else's SSN is fraud because said person "owes money" to the credit card companies. But, if you're using someone else's SSN without actually creating a taxable amount (And assuming you have their permission), and if you did create a taxable amount, you would attach an EIN for an LLC so you could pay for it, would that be considered "Fraud"? Like, the kind the FBI would investigate? (Assuming you had the person's permission. Based on reports online, it appears it becomes fraud when the person files a police report, which the FBI, Secret Service and Postal Service may then get involved, so I assume if you had their permission, they wouldn't file a report that'd tip off the feds. But would the feds investigate even if the person didn't report it if the feds somehow knew about it? For example, they somehow found out that your "Bob doltz" account is getting lots of money from ebay, so they investigate.)

Last edited by swbluto; 02-15-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

I dont think you understand many things.

Your account DOES NOT have an SS on it and never will of you bought it from this forum.

As for bank accounts, you open them in your name and SS. It is impossible to do it any other way.

Most banks could not care less what name the deposit comes in. Small banks and credit unions are almost always never a problem for starters.
Old 02-15-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

If you are using an eBay and PayPal account with someone's real name and social security number on it, especially without their permission, that is identity theft.

If you bought a stealth account from a seller here, then there is no way that the account is in the name of a real individual with a social security number.

Stealth is all about staying under the radar so that you do not have to use an SSN.

If you purchased an account from a real person and have the person's permission to use their information, I would get that IN WRITING! It would be too easy for that person to change their tune if something went south.

But, in general, you should avoid using anybody's real information when conducting business. That is the beauty of stealth - you don't have to!

And many banks don't care about deposits coming in under mismatched names. Search the forum, there are many that can be used for stealth. But you are also correct when you mentioned the bank investigating any unusually large deposits. Even if you use a bank that does not flag mismatched names, if you suddenly that moving thousands and thousands of dollars per month through an account, they MIGHT look into it, as it could pose a potential risk to the bank.