windows computer changed date & time? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-08-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Default windows computer changed date & time?

So i went to log onto my stealth accounts this morning and on every site i would try to visit i would get a message saying that this site is not secure. Didn't make sense to me that all these sites like google & paypal would all be down at the same time. So after a little bit of google search on my phone for common problems like this i seen that the date and time on the bottom of my computer was changed to 12/31/2010. So i changed it to the current date and time and all seems to work fine now.

I just wanted to make sure that this will not link any accounts together or anything. I didn't get on any accounts yet since i wanted to make sure before proceeding. Why would the date and time change out of no where?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-08-2016
fuzzylogik

Longevity: 0%
Default Re: windows computer changed date & time?

No You are safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
johnnyreed22 (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016
Threadstarter  

Okay awesome, I figured it should be okay but said why not ask to be sure. Wonder what caused it to change out of the blue. Windows did automatically try to update me to windows 10 last week and I had to go and revert it back to windows 7. I wonder if that caused it. Anyways thank you for your answer.
Old 07-08-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreed22 View Post
Why would the date and time change out of no where?
The date and time on your computer will reset to the CMOS default, which is usually the date of the BIOS update installed (not the date the most recent flash bios was installed). This usually happens when the real time clock battery for CMOS loses power. If you reset the time when the computer is on it will (should) hold the date until you power down the computer. Upon restarting or plugging back in the date will default back again, it will enter a never ending loop upon restarts (this is usually a good validator that the battery is the problem. On a desktop it is usually easy to replace and most likely will be a 3 volt 2032 coin battery. You can buy these real cheap on eBay for example. On a laptop it may be replaceable, however you usually have to pull the system board out and could possibly need to be DE-soldered and RE-soldered out/into place. There are other reasons that the date can be changed however such as a malicious virus, or malware for example. Just from what you described, I would think that your computer is approximately 6 years old, that would be about right to need to replace the battery. If the age of the computer is no were near that age, then the problem more than likely something else. Again, all this can only be deemed as speculation without further information about the symptoms and problems being experienced. Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2016

Longevity: 64%

It seems like MS pirates your puter and downloads Windows 10 when you are not looking. I know I didn't click on it and it downloaded all by itself when I went to opt out. I researched and saw I am far from the only one.
Old 07-08-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids01 View Post
The date and time on your computer will reset to the CMOS default, which is usually the date of the BIOS update installed (not the date the most recent flash bios was installed). This usually happens when the real time clock battery for CMOS loses power. If you reset the time when the computer is on it will (should) hold the date until you power down the computer. Upon restarting or plugging back in the date will default back again, it will enter a never ending loop upon restarts (this is usually a good validator that the battery is the problem. On a desktop it is usually easy to replace and most likely will be a 3 volt 2032 coin battery. You can buy these real cheap on eBay for example. On a laptop it may be replaceable, however you usually have to pull the system board out and could possibly need to be DE-soldered and RE-soldered out/into place. There are other reasons that the date can be changed however such as a malicious virus, or malware for example. Just from what you described, I would think that your computer is approximately 6 years old, that would be about right to need to replace the battery. If the age of the computer is no were near that age, then the problem more than likely something else. Again, all this can only be deemed as speculation without further information about the symptoms and problems being experienced. Hope this helps.
Knock on wood, no other issues whatsoever with the laptop. I Believe I bought this roughly 4 years ago. I have only used this computer for stealth ebay. I'm guessing I never spend more than 2 hours a day on it currently and has been that way for a while. So I'm hoping it's not a battery issue. Fingers crossed it was just something that happened 1 fluke time. As long as it doesn't mess with stealth and doesn't link accounts I'm happy so far.
Old 07-08-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesshooze View Post
It seems like MS pirates your puter and downloads Windows 10 when you are not looking. I know I didn't click on it and it downloaded all by itself when I went to opt out. I researched and saw I am far from the only one.
Yeah it did the same to me. I left my computer for 5 min to talk to mailman and when I got back it was updating to windows 10...but after some helpful advice from the forum I rever it back to windows 7.