Single member or multi member LLC for US MP - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Managed Payments

eBay Managed Payments Discussions related to eBay Managed Payments

Old 11-04-2021

Activity: 2%
Longevity: 24%
Default Single member or multi member LLC for US MP

So I'm going to be using single member LLC's for my eBay Stealth account.

I was wondering if eBay sends my 1099 to IRS, will it bounce back if it had mismatched names on the "owner" of the LLC account on eBay vs the actual name thats on the single member LLC?

Or are they not able to check that data?

I read that a multi Member LLC is also an option but I'm guessing that will get complicated when filing for taxes. A single member LLC seems like the easiest way, as long as the 1099 wouldn't bounce back from mismatched names.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-04-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: Single member or multi member LLC for US MP

Quite a few posts on LLCs in this forum to read around and wait for other members to post if they choose to do so

related thread: http://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-...lzzz-help.html

Last edited by rsot; 11-04-2021 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

No. It will be a match because it would have your LLC name.
Old 11-04-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
No. It will be a match because it would have your LLC name.

I am seeing in other posts that single member LLC's will be taxed as a sole proprietor since there is only one owner of the LLC.

and the way around this loop hole is a multi member LLC?

Some say the 1099 will be triggered as a mismatch since it won't be matching the single member LLC owner which eBay MP asks for the information of.
Old 11-05-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

I'm talking from experience. I only have single member LLCs and for the last 6 years my 1099's have had my LLC names on them. Single member LLC's are only "taxed like sole proprietors" in the sense that they do not file their own tax return and all profits get passed to the personal tax return of the single owner. Multi member LLC's are more complex and have to file their own tax return + each member of the LLC would have to include their share of the LLC's profits on their personal taxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
solefoodbk (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
I'm talking from experience. I only have single member LLCs and for the last 6 years my 1099's have had my LLC names on them. Single member LLC's are only "taxed like sole proprietors" in the sense that they do not file their own tax return and all profits get passed to the personal tax return of the single owner. Multi member LLC's are more complex and have to file their own tax return + each member of the LLC would have to include their share of the LLC's profits on their personal taxes.

Do you think any of this will change with MP?
You need to have a beneficial owner listed in eB MP when making it a business account, and the owner of the eBay account won't match since it is under a family members name. my single member LLC will be under my name.

I hope this time around when the MP 1099's are sent for the first time that it won't trigger any mismatch names. I know with paypal this was fine and was never an issue
Old 11-07-2021

Activity: 26%
Longevity: 58%

All mine are single member LLC. If they send information to IRS it will come back as your business name always. If you really are worried (like I was) set up a parent company, then have a subsidiary. Therefore legally you aren't the owner of the business your parent company is. There is absolutely no way for any marketplace to trace your name legally if you set it up that way because your SSN isn't connected to the business only the parent company EIN is.
Old 11-07-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
All mine are single member LLC. If they send information to IRS it will come back as your business name always. If you really are worried (like I was) set up a parent company, then have a subsidiary. Therefore legally you aren't the owner of the business your parent company is. There is absolutely no way for any marketplace to trace your name legally if you set it up that way because your SSN isn't connected to the business only the parent company EIN is.
Thank you
This was helpful!
Old 11-07-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%

You need to talk with an accountant and preferably a business CPA. A single member LLC cant get around paying self employment taxes where most all other companies can. Single member LLC is the most taxed type of company and unless you are not really making any money but get a tax return, almost certainly isnt the most tax friendly option. But every person and situation is different.

If you search on youtube, you will find tons of videos explaining why single member LLC are not preferred these days especially with all the new taxes on small businesses coming up but like I said, every situation is different.
Old 11-08-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
You need to talk with an accountant and preferably a business CPA. A single member LLC cant get around paying self employment taxes where most all other companies can. Single member LLC is the most taxed type of company and unless you are not really making any money but get a tax return, almost certainly isnt the most tax friendly option. But every person and situation is different.

If you search on youtube, you will find tons of videos explaining why single member LLC are not preferred these days especially with all the new taxes on small businesses coming up but like I said, every situation is different.
In your case, what type of LLC do you recommend for stealth?
Do you prefer the multi member or the S-Corp?
Old 11-08-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthnorris View Post
In your case, what type of LLC do you recommend for stealth?
Do you prefer the multi member or the S-Corp?
Stealth is irrelevant. Any entity works.

For me, it is all about taxes. S-Corp is almost almost always the best method for small business UNLESS you dont make much profit, trying to get away with extreme home office write-offs or have hard assets attached such as Real estate. As a single member LLC you have virtually no advantage over a sole proprietor as for taxes or liability. Add a quick 15% for self employment tax.... BUT you can get away with more write offs on a personal level IF you dont make much money.

Everything I am talking about is for internet business. Not real estate or other hard assets. I want to make that clear.
Old 11-08-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Stealth is irrelevant. Any entity works.

For me, it is all about taxes. S-Corp is almost almost always the best method for small business UNLESS you dont make much profit, trying to get away with extreme home office write-offs or have hard assets attached such as Real estate. As a single member LLC you have virtually no advantage over a sole proprietor as for taxes or liability. Add a quick 15% for self employment tax.... BUT you can get away with more write offs on a personal level IF you dont make much money.

Everything I am talking about is for internet business. Not real estate or other hard assets. I want to make that clear.

great video explaining it to me
Old 11-16-2021

Longevity: 14%

You can try