eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay & Paypal Horror Stories (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-paypal-horror-stories/)
-   -   Why does eBay force a seller to use Paypal? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-paypal-horror-stories/5081-why-does-ebay-force-seller-use-paypal.html)

catinthehat 06-10-2008 05:34 PM

Why does eBay force a seller to use Paypal?

I have a rather expensive item on eBay that I've been trying to sell and it has generated a lot of interest from people in Europe. I don't have a problem with that except some eBay sellers told me to be very careful with overseas buyers as they often scam people by using stolen credit cards. They suggested I make it clear to buyers that I wanted a wire-to-wire bank transfer for this one item only because of the cost. The seasoned sellers told me that scammers use Paypal because they know it takes a few weeks before it catches up and Paypal ends of charging the seller for the amount of what wasn't paid. I put the wire-to-wire transfer in my auction and eBay shut down my auction stating that I HAD to use Paypal. I re-listed at my cost and increased the price of the item by the amount it cost me to re-list and stated that in my description that I had to raise the Reserve Price because I had to re-list and incurred an additional fee. Guess what? Yep, eBay canceled that auction stating that I couldn't say that in my description. I guess it makes them look bad.

In the Alert that eBay sent to me there is a reply button (I assumed that it was to reply to the Alert so I did) and I explained to them that I was a little concerned about using Paypal for such an expensive item and I wanted a guarantee that I would get paid so that's why I put wire-to-wire transfer in my description. I asked them if I get stiffed for the money from a stolen credit card or bad bank account if Paypal or eBay would reimburse me. Guess what? The canceled my auction because I dared to ask the question.

This is the exact response I got.

FIRST TIME:
The listing was removed because it violated the eBay Paypal Payments policy. The violation occurred when you included the following information in your listing:

However, I will still require a wire-to-wire bank transfer for this transaction.

I RE-LISTED and put Paypal as a form of payment and then I got this for daring to ask a question:

Topics > MC017 eBay Listing Violation: Paypal Payments ( 212751739)

Does anyone answer these emails?

MC017 eBay Listing Violation: Paypal Payments ( 212751739)

THEN CANCELED AGAIN.

I re-listed again and I asked for an explanation and then this:

Topics > MC018 eBay Listing Removed: Circumvention of eBay Fees ( 212751739)

Message: I've been a member for a very long time and this is the first time I've had a problem. I really wish someone would give me a straight answer on this issue. Seems like sellers can't really be honest.

MC018 eBay Listing Removed: Circumvention of eBay Fees ( 212751739)

What the h%#*ll? I can't get a straight answer out of them so I consulted my seasoned eBayers and they said "oh no, you can't say ANYTHING to them". "You just have to play by their rules because they suspend people's accounts for no good reason."

I have been a member for 10 years and NEVER had a problem until now. Who the heck do they have monitoring every single auction? I can't believe they have the time to do this for every auction out there and yet somehow, I feel like I've been targeted. They probably read these threads and then go back to the site and shut you down again.

There needs to be another online auction to bring some competition to this business. :confused:

aspkin 06-10-2008 05:59 PM

Welcome to the true eBay...

It really is a waste of time trying to talk to them; you'll just call attention to your account and auctions for them to shut down. If I were you I would take a week off ebay.. then try again with your listing. If they demand Paypal, then you'll have to offer Paypal for your listing.

Good luck,

Ballsack 06-11-2008 08:38 AM

Write down you only accept wire transfer and put it into a jpg. Problem solved.

ebay_hustler 06-12-2008 02:03 AM

The problem is that eBay REQUIRES you to accept Paypal or be approved for one of their merchant accts. If you state that you ONLY accept such-n-such (other than PP) or if you state specifically that you do not accept PP...they WILL suspend your listing. You can circumvent this by stating you accept ONLY bank wire transfer from INT"L buyers. If you claim to accept PP from US buyers & if you think it will sell to a European buyer then just make that specific to Int'l buyers...I word it as follows:
"Accepted methods of payment: PP, Bank Wire Transfer, blah, blah, blah
International buyers Bank Wire Transfer ONLY...NO EXCEPTIONS!!!"

I do this in EVERY SINGLE LISTING...and No problems!!! I am one of the unlucky ones who was casual about it in my early eBay days & did get scammed by an Int'l hustler & I had to pay PP $2500 AND the scammer got to keep my $2500 item!!!! I LOATHE PAYPAL! They are absolute CROOKS & shame on eBay for forcing them on small business owners...may they all ROT someday!

Anyway, I digress...and apologize for the unsolicited rant...

GOOD LUCK!! :)

PS. EBAY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :)

ebayhateluv 06-12-2008 06:00 AM

HI:Yes, agreed-- Just find a way to Play by their rules,, 'YOUR WAY".. LOL :)

catinthehat 06-12-2008 07:15 AM

Forced Paypal

I did have Paypal listed as an option and I put in the description that I wanted a wire-to-wire transfer from transactions outside of the U. S. I guess they want to be politically correct and not offend their European customers because they said I couldn't put that in the description. However, as an update (only after I went back in and posted for the 3rd time and did it THEIR way) I got the following e-mail from them yesterday.

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your cancelled auction.

I recognize your frustration and want to quickly and responsively address your concerns.

I reviewed your listing, and you're right. This listing was not in violation of our Circumvention of Fees policy. Please accept our sincere apology for our mistake and any inconvenience it may have caused.

Be assured that all fees associated with this listing were refunded when it was removed. In addition, I have erased the violation from your record.

Unfortunately, your listing was still found to be in violation of our Paypal Payments policy. Please note that as announced by John McDonald of the Trust & safety Team: "Since January 2007, all new sellers have been required to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as a payment option to their buyers. On March 17, this policy will be expanded to sellers or items when they meet one or more of the following conditions:

- the seller has higher than 5% buyer dissatisfaction rates
- the seller has less than 100 feedback
- the items are listed in categories with higher rates of buyer complaints, including: Gift Certificates, Video Games, Cell Phones, Computers and Consumer Electronics."

Not sure what all these exceptions means. I have 600 positive feedback and 1 negative. The one negative, if they will look back at the notes between me and the seller they will see what the issue was. I collect pink depression glass and I purchased a piece from a woman and she desribed it a rose. It looked pink in the picture and I assumed rose meant pink. Anyway I purchased it and when I received it there was no color. Completely clear and not a hint of pink or rose. So I left a NEUTRAL feedback rather than a NEGATIVE stating that even though I was expecting a rose colored pink and it turned out to be clear that it was still a lovely piece that I would enjoy. The seller said that even though I paid instantly for the item I should have notified her that I was unhappy with the piece and therefore she gave me a NEGATIVE feedback. She also said that she was blocking my e-mails and never wanted hear back from me again. Geeeez! I knew from that point on that buyers and sellers couldn't really be honest and stay on this site for very long because of crazy, unstable people like that. We are the mercy of people we don't know or what might set them off. In hind sight I wish I would have left a NEGATIVE feedback for misrepresenting the item.

Having said that and looking at the criteria from eBay above I don't think 1 negative feedback is enough to qualify me for the forced Paypal on whatever I sell. But, I guess we have to play by their rules.

Enough of my babbling.

Junkymail 06-12-2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catinthehat (Post 45069)
...I don't think 1 negative feedback is enough to qualify me for the forced Paypal on whatever I sell. But, I guess we have to play by their rules.

I hate that we have to do this. Someone please kick eBay off their highchair!

iOffer maybe?
Auction site count, Keep track of the number of listings on auction sites

catinthehat 06-12-2008 08:05 AM

Thanks for the tip.

I didn't know there were that many auction sites out there. I'm going to look through them today.

Junkymail 06-12-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catinthehat (Post 45078)
I didn't know there were that many auction sites out there. I'm going to look through them today.

I've signed up for a good majority of them already. I haven't had much luck yet, but hopefully others have had success!

lunamoon 06-14-2008 12:15 PM

HI..I want to know, i have 1 Ebay account opened on NOv. 12 , 2007, Do i have to use paypal?, i don't remember when Ebay force sellers to use paypal. Thank you!

divine422 06-14-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catinthehat (Post 45069)

I reviewed your listing, and you're right. This listing was not in violation of our Circumvention of Fees policy. Please accept our sincere apology for our mistake and any inconvenience it may have caused.

Be assured that all fees associated with this listing were refunded when it was removed. In addition, I have erased the violation from your record.

Did ebay actually admit to fault? That i rarely see.

catinthehat 06-15-2008 07:31 AM

Yes - I couldn't believe it either. I've been a good seller/buyer for 9 years with over 600 positives and 1 negative (a retaliation feedback). I really couldn't believe they shut down my auction twice but they did. At least I got an apology for the 2nd time. Most people can't believe either. Must have been the phase of the moon or the stars were all in alignment of something like that. Damn, I should have bought a lottery ticket that day!

ebayhateluv 06-15-2008 07:40 PM

Ebay says its to give buyers protection--(to accept paypal)--BUT, i think its so they can Control the sale from both ends>>>

catinthehat 06-16-2008 04:02 AM

It's totally about control. They make money on eBay buy charging sellers and they make money on Paypal. It's a cash cow.

anonymous 08-19-2008 01:41 AM

I would short eBay stock but I'd probably be waiting for a long time before there was a real seller revolt. Soon they'll probably require a certain shipper to use with only special ebay boxes that cost 20% extra lol

great link btw, thanks for the new favorite!