ebay and paypal closing down? - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > eBay & PayPal International

eBay & PayPal International General discussions on eBay Suspensions and PayPal Limited accounts for ALL other countries not mentioned above!

Old 04-29-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Re: ebay and paypal closing down?

Ummm... There is NO WAY that 75% of what is sold on eBay is counterfeit or stolen. If that WERE the case, they would have been shut down already.

You may believe that 75% of the listings in the categories you watch closely are counterfeit. But even THAT would be a stretch. For example, you mentioned someone selling paintings. They could be original LITHOGRAPHS. Lithographs are not normally counterfeit - so a person COULD have 25 of one item for sale. I am not looking at the same listing you mentioned, so I am not speaking to that specific listing, I'm just using it as an example.

As for PayPal, they became successful because they were the FIRST company that allowed ANYBODY to accept Visa and MasterCard payments without actually having a merchant account. Back then, it was VERY DIFFICULT to get approved for a merchant account. Mail order firms always had a difficult time and the internet was very new. It was not uncommon for merchant account brokers to charge $300 or more just to APPLY for a merchant account - with NO guarantee that you would get approved - which most people did not. eBay DID have Billpoint back then, but it was EXPENSIVE and hard to use. Same thing for CCnow. Plus, PayPal gave you your funds IMMEDIATELY back then, while CCnow paid you in 21-30 days and Billpoint had their own holds, but I don't quite remember what they were. I DO remember that I HATED Billpoint and would cringe every time a customer would ask to use it. I LOVED PAYPAL! Back then, anyway.

PayPal paid a referral fee of $5 for every new customer you signed up. Everybody selling on eBay sent invoices and said "Why not try PayPal? It is faster and easier than sending a check!" and got paid $5 for every new signup. I made THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS from new signups.

PayPal didn't have to resort to laundering drug money. I'm sure some people used it for that, but not the majority. PayPal grew way too fast for the growth to have been funded by drug cash. There simply is not enough drug related money out there to fuel a growth rate like that.

It is very easy to look at things based only upon your own experience, but you have to remember that these companies (eBay, PayPal, Amazon) do BILLIONS of dollars in business every year, covering all kinds of products - everything from socks to industrial equipment. If you sell paintings, and see a lot of counterfeits listed in that category, it becomes easy to believe that EVERYTHING on eBay is like that, but it is not true. You have to see the whole picture - paintings are a very small part of eBay's overall business.

And hot categories change over time. Right now, cell phones - especially Apple cell phones and accessories - are extremely hot items. In 1995, the hottest category on eBay was Beanie Babies, ridiculous as that may sound. This stuff is always changing.

Ten years from now, DVD's will still be around but a lot fewer people will actually be buying them - everything is moving to streaming. Just like books are still around - but most of the sales of new titles have moved to the e-book format. There will ALWAYS be a market for physical books, especially older titles, out of print titles, etc. it just becomes smaller and smaller. Solar is a quickly expanding category and will be HUGE in years to come. Why? Because costs have dropped to the point where it is actually a RATIONAL decision to have the solar panels installed on your home. Just a few years ago that was not true. I can't predict what everything will look like in ten years, but I know from the things I have previously seen, they will be VERY DIFFERENT from what they are TODAY!

My point in all of this is that it is very easy to look at things only from your perspective.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
JamesNorth101 (04-29-2015), jboone733 (05-02-2015), rsot (04-29-2015)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-29-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

eB stock is on the rise - shows faith by the financial community as well
Old 04-30-2015

Longevity: 52%

I've been on ebay for 13 years and had dozens of accounts closed by them so in my anger I often daydream that the FBI will shut one or both down.
As you say , its unlikely as they are huge businesses - however....

I would say that paypal operate illegally by randomly withholding funds and limiting accounts and making interest on money that does not belong to them.
It may state they can do this in their T&C's but the bottom line is that keeping the money for 6 months amounts to theft.
And we all know the stories of completely legal legit sellers who have had these problems .
Here in the UK a news programme reported on 2 fairly large businesses almost thrown into bankruptcy due to paypal withholding their funds.

Regardless of the precise number both ebay and paypal make millions every day from the sale of counterfeit goods.
Those of us who are collectors can spot bootleg merchandise in our chosen field in seconds yet sales continue.
Ebay may say they are fighting piracy but overall they don't really do too much about it because they make so much money from it.

I would say that nobody in the world makes as much money from the open sale of counterfeit/ illegal goods as paypal and ebay and that on its own would be enough for the FBI to step in and stop them trading for a while even though complete closure seems impossible.

Last edited by stuartalex; 04-30-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2015
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 69%

the commissions which ebay make on transaction of counterfiet goods is also illegal money and should be convescated by police, ebay knows all that money is illegal so why ebay not tell police or fbi and give it to them to be convescated?, but ebay keeps that illegal money

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartalex View Post
I've been on ebay for 13 years and had dozens of accounts closed by them so in my anger I often daydream that the FBI will shut one or both down.
As you say , its unlikely as they are huge businesses - however....

I would say that paypal operate illegally by randomly withholding funds and limiting accounts and making interest on money that does not belong to them.
It may state they can do this in their T&C's but the bottom line is that keeping the money for 6 months amounts to theft.
And we all know the stories of completely legal legit sellers who have had these problems .
Here in the UK a news programme reported on 2 fairly large businesses almost thrown into bankruptcy due to paypal withholding their funds.

Regardless of the precise number both ebay and paypal make millions every day from the sale of counterfeit goods.
Those of us who are collectors can spot bootleg merchandise in our chosen field in seconds yet sales continue.
Ebay may say they are fighting piracy but overall they don't really do too much about it because they make so much money from it.

I would say that nobody in the world makes as much money from the open sale of counterfeit/ illegal goods as paypal and ebay and that on its own would be enough for the FBI to step in and stop them trading for a while even though complete closure seems impossible.
Old 05-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

This thread is fantastic!
Old 05-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

are you an art dealer OP?
Old 05-01-2015

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by temsa261 View Post
the commissions which ebay make on transaction of counterfiet goods is also illegal money and should be convescated by police, ebay knows all that money is illegal so why ebay not tell police or fbi and give it to them to be convescated?, but ebay keeps that illegal money
Many years ago they did but more recently I found that once I was suspended I got fee refunds for hundreds of items which worked out to a fair amount.
I quickly made a phonecall to get the refund added to my paypal account so I could get the funds while I still could
Old 05-02-2015
Threadstarter  

yes very nude art, you intrested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
are you an art dealer OP?
Old 05-02-2015
Threadstarter  

how can you get reund as a seller from the items you have already sold

Quote:
Many years ago they did but more recently I found that once I was suspended I got fee refunds for hundreds of items which worked out to a fair amount.
I quickly made a phonecall to get the refund added to my paypal account so I could get the funds while I still could
Old 05-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

I heard the FBI shutdown the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy and the Turkey will no longer be eaten on Thanksgiving.....I heard it on a forum....
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
write (05-04-2015)
Old 05-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Message of eb and pp separating is on the header of PP accounts but nothing about closing down
Old 05-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

talk about stating the blooming obvious.

FFS.

Old 05-02-2015

Longevity: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post

Bless, EBOB, I knew you would know! Here's the photo for you

Is that Temsa's information pool employees?
The Following User Says Thank You to jboone733 For This Useful Post:
wired (05-03-2015)
Old 05-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by temsa261 View Post
yes very nude art, you intrested?
why yes, yes I am....
Old 05-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
yes I did it via chat before, if you are nice, have a good reason, and a 'noob' they will recredit you sometimes....
Old 05-19-2015

Longevity: 51%

i got the strong feeling, that it is other way around!
eBay and PayPal could sue FBI for harassment!

In this new age of internet world, new e-commerce are booming every day!
I live in India, ebay has been here since 2005, last year amazon launched.

But interestingly other local e-commerce sites like flipkart.com, snapdeal.com, shopclues.com etc have been dominating both ebay and amazon!