live chat with Ebay! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 04-14-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%
Default live chat with Ebay!

This is my last IP question, I promise. I've been dying to know though.

Yesterday I went to Ebay live chat with my suspended IP, to ask a question about listing on my NEW user ID.

During the chat I had to give the person my user name and name, however the chat was done on my suspended IP.

Do you think this will link me? Do those chat people record my IP during chats?
Thank you!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-15-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

Ah ihatebay, sadly yes eBay will know you ip address, I used to do this all the time to try to stop fraud from eBay. I would ask a customer to talk to me on live support on my website to pick up an order. Once on my website I would be able to view their IP address, trace it and match it up to their confirmed paypal address. If their ip and street address didn't match or their phone number was bogus or was used in another city, they could be a scammer. There's a lot of fraud in my business, about 1 in 5 orders are fraud, so I had to take these precautions, but the point is yes they can see your ip address, but I don't think they go as far as matching it up with an account. But they probably could if they wanted.
Old 04-15-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
Ah ihatebay, sadly yes eBay will know you ip address, I used to do this all the time to try to stop fraud from eBay. I would ask a customer to talk to me on live support on my website to pick up an order. Once on my website I would be able to view their IP address, trace it and match it up to their confirmed paypal address. If their ip and street address didn't match or their phone number was bogus or was used in another city, they could be a scammer. There's a lot of fraud in my business, about 1 in 5 orders are fraud, so I had to take these precautions, but the point is yes they can see your ip address, but I don't think they go as far as matching it up with an account. But they probably could if they wanted.
Glad to know Aspkin! I will be more careful next time, I don't think they match it up either. Besides each time I log in my IP is different, I'm not sure it makes sense to track my IP when it changes all the time.

And, Modee, no I never logged in from my suspended IP.

I asked T&S how many items I should have up as a new seller and they said 5 or so :\.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
how can you get an users address from their ip address?
Old 04-15-2007
Threadstarter  

no aspkin means they know my ip address from the chat room thingy. It's okay I guess cuz my ip changes all the time, so it's not like I stay on one ip forever. it's interesting if you look at vladuz's screenshot ebay records how many times that person logs from a certain ip. so, if i was a real fraud i'd say be on ip X, and that ip X is marked. If a innocent guy goes on ip X once he won't get suspended right away, just watched to see if he will go on again.
Old 02-12-2009

Longevity: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebay View Post
This is my last IP question, I promise. I've been dying to know though.

Yesterday I went to Ebay live chat with my suspended IP, to ask a question about listing on my NEW user ID.

During the chat I had to give the person my user name and name, however the chat was done on my suspended IP.

Do you think this will link me? Do those chat people record my IP during chats?
Thank you!
yes,they will know your ip address,BUT THEY WONT SUSPEND YOUR id except u tell him what's your id while u login use another id! as i always chat with ebay! thanks