Is it better to open a new account to sell or let it sit? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 05-19-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%
Default Is it better to open a new account to sell or let it sit?

Do you find ebay will leave an account alone if it's just opened and sits a while before any activity takes place, versus opening a new account, maybe poking around a little on the site, and then listing several things at once? I know several of us open new accounts regularly, just wondering if you let it sit a while before listing, or if that's actually even MORE suspicious to ebay and buyers?

If you were the buyer would you trust an account that hasn't been active but has been around long enough not to have that "new" user icon by it, or would you rather buy from someone new who is still shown as such?

Just curious.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-19-2007
Threadstarter  

Modee, do you think customers have more faith in accounts that you start selling on from the get go instead of waiting? Did your prices tell you anything? Also, I know you mentioned you used 3 days in the past and you mentioned .01 starting. But did you use the two together, or did you find the .01 listings did better with the longer duration? One other thing, would a short 3 days listing on a new account be a good way to break in that new account and get past the ebay bots looking for new accounts to suspend?
Old 05-19-2007

I dont know why you all are getting booted off rip?? that kind of baffles me...i suspect that you are using proxy or something...

I do new accounts all the time and list right away with a combination of 3 day auctions and .01 starting bid at the same time on same listing..
Old 05-20-2007
Threadstarter  

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my meaning. I realize that reading it back. What I meant was selling on an an account that you JUST opened (with zero feedback) vs. letting that account sit with zero feedback a few days, weeks, whatever, possibly even buying a couple small things along the way but otherwise it's just sitting there most of that first 30 days. Do you feel customers would look at an account done that way with the same favor or less than an account still with the sunshine (30 days) icon of a new user, and would it make any difference to the suspension bots? The rest of the question still stands and reads fine from here. CPU gave his answer, what's your take on the 3 day listing on a new account (and over a weekend to boot)?
Old 05-20-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
I have said this many times, but again...I sell all of my items at No Reserve starting price one cent or one dollar. I have two ranges of items - one under $100, one around $3K.

I have noticed NO difference in closing prices on new accounts with 0 feedback versus old accounts with lots of feedback. As a matter of fact, I sold one of my $3K items at a record high the first time I listed with a brand new zero feedback account!

All my listings are very professional, full color, HTML and included several embedded images and logos. I include Terms and Conditions, and S&H&P information. I always include a statement as to why I am new to EBAY to placate the buyers who wonder why I have no feedback. Obviously they buy it, because I am selling like gangbusters. Once the account has a couple dozen feedback and is past 30 days, I remove that statement and replace with something like "Check out our feedback" because, like The Jeffersons, I has arrived!

Hey what do you use to do your auctions html??? Dramweaver????Is dreamweaver hard to use??
Old 05-20-2007
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear on my meaning. I realize that reading it back. What I meant was selling on an an account that you JUST opened (with zero feedback) vs. letting that account sit with zero feedback a few days, weeks, whatever, possibly even buying a couple small things along the way but otherwise it's just sitting there most of that first 30 days. Do you feel customers would look at an account done that way with the same favor or less than an account still with the sunshine (30 days) icon of a new user, and would it make any difference to the suspension bots? The rest of the question still stands and reads fine from here. CPU gave his answer, what's your take on the 3 day listing on a new account (and over a weekend to boot)?
It's probably safer to wait about 3 weeks or so but this is really no guarantee of anything. I let an account sit for 3 years. Used it several months ago to buy feedback and let it sit for several more months and just a couple of weeks ago tried to use it. Wham, ebay freezes my account and says it's been "hacked." I'm assuming because I'm using a different ip address.
Old 05-20-2007

When will they learn Modee?...lol
Old 05-20-2007
Executive [VIP]

Usually they'll just suspend your account right away for that after you attempt to sell something. I guess they couldn't get me on that because I did it a while ago so they made up some other bogus excuse for freezing my account. I had no problems with buying feedback before this year.
Old 05-20-2007
Threadstarter  

Ok so "buying" feedback is out. Got it. Has anyone else had luck with 3 day listings straight out of the gate, or do you find 7 days the better way to go starting out to keep the account alive and get more bids? Looking at some of the bidding activity on auctions, it seems like you could cut out most of the length. For example, I usually get at least 3 or 4 watchers in the first day or so. That sometimes doesn't change much over the course of 7 days until the last day and a half, so that makes me think that if the listing were to run 3 days, those watchers just might bid and start a bidding war. That's a valid assumption anyway. I don't know if that's less likely when feedback is super low, but it's a thought.

What's your take on that and does it work best when the opening bid is super low (.01, $1, etc.)?
Old 05-20-2007
Subscribed [VIP]

Quote:
Ok so "buying" feedback is out. Got it. Has anyone else had luck with 3 day listings straight out of the gate, or do you find 7 days the better way to go starting out to keep the account alive and get more bids? Looking at some of the bidding activity on auctions, it seems like you could cut out most of the length. For example, I usually get at least 3 or 4 watchers in the first day or so. That sometimes doesn't change much over the course of 7 days until the last day and a half, so that makes me think that if the listing were to run 3 days, those watchers just might bid and start a bidding war. That's a valid assumption anyway. I don't know if that's less likely when feedback is super low, but it's a thought.

What's your take on that and does it work best when the opening bid is super low (.01, $1, etc.)?
My last three tries - all suspended in a matter of days - were using 3 day listings as I have no patience. Wondering now if this attracts the bot.
Old 05-20-2007

Quote:

jack,

I believe me and modee as well as others have already answered your questions...

I list 3 day auctions all the time with .01 starting bid on items that end around $100 on a brand new account
Old 05-20-2007
Threadstarter  

CPU no you answered the question. Thank you for that. Modee answered it partly and sorta sidestepped the main. I read your reply. I'm just looking for second opinions from others at this point. Thanks whome.
Old 05-20-2007

jack

here is the link to where that questions was answered bt me. i don't know if you missed it or whatever...

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-su...l-let-sit.html
Old 05-20-2007
Threadstarter  

Yes CPU I got your response. Thank you
Old 05-22-2007

I agree that you can come right out of the box selling but dont expect to be around if you are listing high dollar items in the categories that has fruad in them. Ebay will boot you thinking you are scamming.

As far as buyers buying from 0 feedback sellers I do not think it matters if the item you are selling is what they want. I also believe that buyers think that that new seller will do everything perfect as they are in search of their first positive.

Me personally, I have stated I open 1 new account everyday, I let them sit and then rotate them into play by buying an item or 2, then when they get around 10 - 15 positives I begin selling low dollar items and work them up to the higher amounts. It has worked perfectly for me so far. The key if you are a seller is to have a variety of items to sell not just one item. This also works as when your accounts are bigger you can list in different categories which buyers will find you more easily.
Old 06-01-2007

Hey well I create several accounts with gmail that doesn't require a CC at the beginning. I put them all down on word so that when I get suspended, I use these "seasoned accounts".

I used to register an account, put in a fresh CC, and list right away with the new user icon though and it doesn't make any difference.

In fact I think it is MORE suspicious to list with a seasoned ID with 0 feedback because buyers might think it's hacked, or created to fraud people. Sorta.

But I mean, buyers could think the same with a new ID with the new user Icon....

So I think it's the same.
Old 06-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsack View Post
It's probably safer to wait about 3 weeks or so but this is really no guarantee of anything. I let an account sit for 3 years. Used it several months ago to buy feedback and let it sit for several more months and just a couple of weeks ago tried to use it. Wham, ebay freezes my account and says it's been "hacked." I'm assuming because I'm using a different ip address.
What do you mean frozen? Resets password? Suspends? Blocks it from selling or buying but keeps it unsuspended?

Last edited by Jonas; 05-27-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2007
Executive [VIP]

Unable to bid or sell until I confirm my identity. I changed my email account several months before I started selling because the email I originally signed up with went under. They wanted to know what the name of my previous email. Bunch of dummies.

I recently created 2 new accounts and started selling immediately. No problems.
Old 06-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsack View Post
Unable to bid or sell until I confirm my identity. I changed my email account several months before I started selling because the email I originally signed up with went under. They wanted to know what the name of my previous email. Bunch of dummies.

I recently created 2 new accounts and started selling immediately. No problems.
how many items did you list?

what do you think 3 day auctions at the begining? I want to try it out but I'm scared that they would think it's scammer behavior...
Old 06-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebay View Post
how many items did you list?

what do you think 3 day auctions at the begining? I want to try it out but I'm scared that they would think it's scammer behavior...
Like i said numerous times, I do it all the time!(3 day auctions)