Avoiding Questions from Buyers - Do that? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 06-09-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%
Default Avoiding Questions from Buyers - Do that?

It's been stated (and sometimes I've witnessed first hand) that some buyers will try to trap you with questions. I suspect a lot of these users are either ebay employees or lackeys, so what types of questions do you think are "traps" and which are legitimate to answer? I suppose you "could" ignore all questions, but then you might lose potential bidders just on the off chance that you're protecting yourself from some unseen boogeyman out to get you.

Let's hear from you--what have you answered in the past that led to disaster not long after? What are the obvious no-no's? What are the sneaky questions (they look safe on the surface, but watch out!)? And finally, which questions do you think are safe to answer with no problems? What are your stories?

For example, I've sometimes had stock photos of the item in question which differ "slightly" from the actual item in the description. This is due to the actual item being in storage at the time of the listing or sometimes at another location being prepped. This has led to the occasional question that "could" be considered legitimate just wanting to know more about the item, but it could also be a suspicious user with nothing better to do than make trouble or even an ebay employee! Usually, I answer the questions, but thanks to some of the posts I've read from other members, I'm starting to answer less of them, again on fear that they'll lead to the eventual suspension of the account if I say the wrong thing. This could also be bad for business though, so I'm just curious what you think about the answer/don't answer debate?

Let's hear it!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-09-2007

Naw, Ebay doesnt do that. They got better things to do like pick their nose and ignore emails all day..

But if you do ever suspect that just check their feedback, what they have bought in the past and their location. If it is a California location "beware"
Old 06-10-2007
Threadstarter  

Hmm, what if they're from California but their feedback looks ok? They seem to have bid on some of the same type items in the past. Is there a way to narrow down the location even more? Would you risk answering?
Old 06-10-2007

Longevity: 98%

Jack, what are you talking about? How can some questions be traps? And questions that "look safe on the surface"? Come on man. Unless you're selling something illegal or things that are prohibited on ebay, I don't see why you have to worry about anything.
Old 06-10-2007
Threadstarter  

Hah! Willie, you've never been "trapped" with a question? You should meet some of my old girlfriends! We're talking about people who have nothing better to do than report other users to ebay. Maybe they mistake motives. Maybe they're paranoid by nature. Maybe they're just mean spirited to begin with and this is how they get their kicks. Maybe it's a competitor trying to eliminate others. There could be any number of "maybe's"
But whatever the reason, it does happen (and has happened to many users whether they know it or not), This thread is to discuss that and how to watch for these "traps".

It's not crazy to think someone's out to get you. And it's not paranoia if you can prove it.
Old 06-10-2007

Can you give some examples? Because I'm not sure I understand this trap question situation.
Old 06-10-2007
Executive [VIP]

I find that with the stuff I sell 9 times out of 10 ppl who ask questions never buy from me. I don't even bother answering anymore.
Old 06-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Hmm, what if they're from California but their feedback looks ok? They seem to have bid on some of the same type items in the past. Is there a way to narrow down the location even more? Would you risk answering?
I answer most of the time unless it is a stupid question. But why would not answer?? Are you trying to hide something... It s nothing wrong with answering innocent questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifreewillie View Post
Jack, what are you talking about? How can some questions be traps? And questions that "look safe on the surface"? Come on man. Unless you're selling something illegal or things that are prohibited on ebay, I don't see why you have to worry about anything.
Thats the same thing I was thinking...Selling knock offs or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Hah! Willie, you've never been "trapped" with a question? You should meet some of my old girlfriends! We're talking about people who have nothing better to do than report other users to ebay. Maybe they mistake motives. Maybe they're paranoid by nature. Maybe they're just mean spirited to begin with and this is how they get their kicks. Maybe it's a competitor trying to eliminate others. There could be any number of "maybe's"
But whatever the reason, it does happen (and has happened to many users whether they know it or not), This thread is to discuss that and how to watch for these "traps".

It's not crazy to think someone's out to get you. And it's not paranoia if you can prove it.
if you think like that I think your in the wrong business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsack View Post
I find that with the stuff I sell 9 times out of 10 ppl who ask questions never buy from me. I don't even bother answering anymore.
Thats very true
Old 06-10-2007

Jack, your absolutely right. I have my suspicions that ebay does not do this but allows there VERO scouts to ask questions then turn you in. Or simply your competition just trying to get you suspended again. You should always check feedback and if question seems fishy. Look at what items they have bought and sold in the last six months. Could be legitamate question, especially from a noob. If account was created recently I wouldn't worry about it too much. But, watch out for the seasoned accounts.
Old 06-10-2007

How does california have anything to do with it?
Old 06-10-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPUGEEK View Post
I answer most of the time unless it is a stupid question. But why would not answer?? Are you trying to hide something... It s nothing wrong with answering innocent questions
Ah, but the point is--what's innocent? You don't know. It could be innocent. Could be a competitor looking to stick a knife in your back. That's the point of this thread, to alert and hopefully inform.

Quote:
Thats the same thing I was thinking...Selling knock offs or something
wrong

Quote:
if you think like that I think your in the wrong business
Well you're entitled to your opinion. I'll leave it at that

plight: thank you. Interesting point about the seasoned accounts. I would have thought it to be the other way around, accounts just created to spy, report, and destroy competitors. I'll be on the lookout for that in the future.

ebaysucks: ebay's main office=California
Old 06-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaysucks12345 View Post
How does california have anything to do with it?
Because Ebay is located in California, so thats were there workers would be located
Old 06-10-2007

some of my competitors or maybe VERO police ask me questions that are really suspicious. For example they will ask me where it is made (to see if it's authentic), what material it is, what length it is, and etc. Some are other sellers because I clicked on what they are selling and they are selling the same things as I am.

B
Old 06-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebay View Post
some of my competitors or maybe VERO police ask me questions that are really suspicious. For example they will ask me where it is made (to see if it's authentic), what material it is, what length it is, and etc. Some are other sellers because I clicked on what they are selling and they are selling the same things as I am.

B
Oh if it is other sellers selling the same thing well you already know what that is about. the are trying to turn you in. But, If your item is authentic then tell them the details? why would you be afraid to tell them true facts?
Old 06-10-2007

Quote:
Oh if it is other sellers selling the same thing well you already know what that is about. the are trying to turn you in. But, If your item is authentic then tell them the details? why would you be afraid to tell them true facts?
bc if they are a seller it's a waste of my time. why even bother to answer? if it's a buyer ill answer.
Old 06-10-2007

Quote:
bc if they are a seller it's a waste of my time. why even bother to answer? if it's a buyer ill answer.
Its not a waste of time if it is to be safe on ebay and not get your account suspended.
Old 06-10-2007

Quote:
Its not a waste of time if it is to be safe on ebay and not get your account suspended.
no. i mean if a seller purposefully asks me answers they already know then i just don't bother to answer. because they are just testing me, it's a waste of my time. even if i don't answer i won't get suspended.
Old 06-10-2007

Quote:
no. i mean if a seller purposefully asks me answers they already know then i just don't bother to answer. because they are just testing me, it's a waste of my time. even if i don't answer i won't get suspended.
Oh i see okay

oh okay I see. But I thought you meant like if you dont answer the question then your account would get suspended
Old 06-11-2007

oKAY YEAH I TAKE THAT BACK. i GAVE A BUYER WHO ASKED ME MY ADDRESS TO SEND PAYMENT ,THEN BAMMED I WAS SUSPENDED 5 HOURS LATER. YEAH BECAREFUL WITH THE QUESTIONS. THE ADDRESS I GAVE HIM/HER WAS A PAST SUSPENDED ADDRESS. THIS JUST HAPPENED NOW

AND THE PERSON WAS REGISTERED IN CALIFORNIA. HOW STUPID OF ME
Old 06-11-2007
Executive [VIP]

Well let me tell yall...I had a ebay account just a few days ago that was set up the right way from a computer in a Hotel. This account was ok for 2 days straight I was selling sneakers on ebay and I had personal pics no stock photo's. Then a buyer asked a question it went like this " Hello Why don't you accept paypal, it's the ebay way of business" being as that I have another ebay account I needed to know if ebay really monitored questions so I typed back "Let just say I learned my lesson as a seller" My account was suspended within 5 minutes. I really think theres people in customer service that watch for these comments.
Old 06-11-2007

Respond back and say you hope ebay gets sued for antitrust violations because it forces paypal on everyone.

Last edited by Jonas; 05-27-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2007
Threadstarter  

Jonas I may have misread, but I think the point he was trying to make was that it was a trap question, most likely laid out by an ebay employee. Either that or a devout slave of the ebay-is-always-right-and-you're-wrong mentality. That was what i got out of it anyway, and if that was the case, pointing them out to such sites would do nothing. Ebay already knows those sites are out there, and they laugh at them while counting their money.

I'm glad to hear more support from members on this subject. I know it's more than just a theory as it's just too much of a coincidence. But it's nice to not be the only one pointing it out. For a while there I felt like a crazy man in a crowd ringing a bell and yelling "they're coming to get ussss!" :D