TECHIES, I need some IP log help please... - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 06-15-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 87%
Question TECHIES, I need some IP log help please...

I rent space from my landlord.

He had a Static IP address...one of my accounts was suspended at this location.
This was BEFORE I joined this site so I never wrote down the Static IP address.

He said he "changed" his service and may now be a dynamic ip.

Is there any way to see an "IP LOG" of some sort on my pc?

Then I could see if the IP in fact has changed.

If not, is there a way to check what the previous IP addy was in some other way?

Thanks in advance...

PS: I would try unplugging the cable modem, but his entire network is on it
so I'd rather not "pull the plug" and get a nightmare without knowing anything about networks.

Last edited by TermedPS; 06-15-2009 at 12:57 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-15-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Unless you already had something implemented for reading and logging the IP, you won't be finding a log of previous IPs.

Best way for you to be certain right now is to visit IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address! then change the router mac address, then unplug the cable modem for 5-20 seconds, plug it back in and visit IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address! again to SEE that the IP did change.

Don't be too quick to take his word for the service change. He's biased by his desire to get your money in his wallet continually. Might say anything, just to keep you thinking you are content.
Old 06-15-2009
Threadstarter  

I would need to get access to his server or an admin pc for that.

The main problem is that I'm no techie so I don't want to mess with this network at all.

Q: If I simply unplugged his cable modem and replugged it in, would do any harm to his network? I was thinking doing just that.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-15-2009
Vicvelcro

To change mac, you don't need access to the server or admin pc. Just the router.

Unplugging and replugging without changing the mac won't accomplish anything. You will still have the same IP when you come back up.

It wouldn't do any harm.
Old 06-15-2009
Threadstarter  

Sorry for the newb techie Q's, but how do I get access to the router?

I did a search and found this on the boards..
================

Quote:
What you need to do is change the MAC ID for the ROUTER ONLY. The reason why people still get the same IP is because of this. The original MAC ID is located on the bottom of the router so there is no need to copy or write it down if you ever want to revert back to it later.

The first step is to connect your Ethernet cable from your computer to the router so they can communicate and adjust settings. You do not need to do anything with the cable modem at this time. It will be towards the end.

Open up IE (internet explorer) or Firefox and type in your router address, mine is 192.168.0.1 if you don't know it then look in your router manual or cd that came with your router. Or goto the Run command and type in "cmd" and the ipconfig/all and you will see you router address.

Enter your login name/password if you have it set, mine is "admin" which is default. Now the menus is different for each router company. Just find the option that says MAC ADDRESS and click on it or click on manual settings and you should see your MAC ADDRESS. It looks like 6 boxes with 12 numbers and letters in sets. For example 01-5d-b2-42-f1-65

Now you want to change the MAC ADDRESS by doing the following.
Leave the first box the same. You only have to change the other boxes with numbers from 0-9 and letters from a-f but keeping the letters and numbers in the same position and only changing the value for example 01-4b-c5-31-a3-45

After you have replace them click on save settings or apply settings.
You will lose internet connection at this time. Now the final step is to unplug your router and your cable modem for about a minute or so and plug it back in. give it couple minutes to initialize and check your ip at ipchicken.com

You now have a new IP address. Repeat the process to get a new IP address through your router.
==========================

Q: Is that the correct way?

My setup:

I use wireless to connect to their wireless router - am not plugged into their network. Their workstations are all hardwired with cat5's.

Q: Can I do this on my pc although I am not on their network or do I need to change the mac addy through one of their networked workstations?

I could already see my landlord going ballistic if I crash his network somehow.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-15-2009
Threadstarter  

PS: Would changing the router's mac addy affect his network in any way?

Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2009
Vicvelcro

Default The more we know, the more we can help

It helps a lot if we know what hardware is being discussed. Basically, brand and model of router. Is it Linksys, DLink, Netgear, Asus, Motorola?

You don't have to be part of his network. If you are getting signal from the router, you are able to connect to it. Probably. There is the possibility that he has it configured in a manner which does not permit setup changes to be made via wireless or remote internet.

Would it be a problem for his network if and when you make the change? Only for the time while rebooting the cable modem. UNLESS he has some very customized options for specific applications he uses. The standard normal settings that would commonly be used for his WAN are very unlikely to upset anything he does. Keep a record of the settings before you change them, in the event you might need to restore them.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
TermedPS (06-15-2009)
Old 06-15-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

^^^Might this be going out of Termed's ability to work his stealth account? Why not have a check done of his current IP usage?
I checked his log here and this is what I found:
nb: the numbers are not his actual IP numbers but I am showing the pattern.

123.45 xx xxx
123.45 xx xxx
123.45 xx xxx
123.45 xx xxx
123.45 xx xxx

Numbers xx xxx differe with each sign on. Now unless I am incorrect, this suggests a dynamic IP. Therefore Termed should be OK for stealth usage.
Comments?
TermedPS (06-15-2009)
Old 06-15-2009
Vicvelcro

He could very well BE so lucky.

I suggest a log be kept over a few days. IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address! every hour and write it down. See what the data says.
Old 06-15-2009
Executive [VIP]

^^^Agreed. That will be a good solution to keep that log.

To change the mac address is a bit daunting. From my pov, I just would avoid doing it.
Old 06-15-2009
Vicvelcro

Changing mac is actually easier than it seems. The breakdown is like this:

ROUTER <---- clicky clicky for most of you
login/pw - admin admin or admin password or root root or <blank> admin (my favorite)
navigate to WAN MAC address (usually in admin tab, depends on make/model/firmware-version)
Change last 2 pairs - if MAC is 00:14:25:64:48:01 then just change the 48:01 part (can be digits or letters a-f, I like FA : DE 'cuz its a word)
Save settings
Reboot modem

If you aren't 192.168.1.1, try viewing the status of your connection in network settings. find out your local ethernet ip address. Your router is usually going to be the same IP as your ethernet IP but change the last digit to 0 or 1 and paste the entire address into your browser.
Use THIS LIST if you aren't admin admin

If you are still stuck and I have the time, you can invite me to hack my way into your system and walk you through it for your own education. Sometimes I charge the cost of a GOOD 6 pack. Sometimes I do it as a favor. And NEVER without permission from the owner of the router.

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 06-16-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
^^^Might this be going out of Termed's ability to work his stealth account? Why not have a check done of his current IP usage?
I checked his log here and this is what I found:
nb: the numbers are not his actual IP numbers but I am showing the pattern.

123.45 xx xxx
123.45 xx xxx
123.45 xx xxx
123.45 xx xxx
123.45 xx xxx

Numbers xx xxx differe with each sign on. Now unless I am incorrect, this suggests a dynamic IP. Therefore Termed should be OK for stealth usage.
Comments?
GB,

I am currently not in my office. I'm running a dsl here, and therefore the ips will be different. Sorry but I should have mentioned that.
Old 06-15-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
^^^Agreed. That will be a good solution to keep that log.

To change the mac address is a bit daunting. From my pov, I just would avoid doing it.
Yes, I am no means a tech, so "daunting" would be an understatement.
HOWEVER, I'm a fast learner!
Old 06-15-2009
Executive [VIP]

OK, all is not lost. When you signed up for this forum did you use your home computer? 'Cos the info I can check says that it is on a dynamic IP.
Old 06-15-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvelcro View Post
It helps a lot if we know what hardware is being discussed. Basically, brand and model of router. Is it Linksys, DLink, Netgear, Asus, Motorola?

You don't have to be part of his network. If you are getting signal from the router, you are able to connect to it. Probably. There is the possibility that he has it configured in a manner which does not permit setup changes to be made via wireless or remote internet.

Would it be a problem for his network if and when you make the change? Only for the time while rebooting the cable modem. UNLESS he has some very customized options for specific applications he uses. The standard normal settings that would commonly be used for his WAN are very unlikely to upset anything he does. Keep a record of the settings before you change them, in the event you might need to restore them.
Router = Linksys, but I don't know the model #. I will get this tomorrow.

Re- changing the mac from my workstation, at a minimum, I will see if I can get to the router with the standard 192.168.1.1

Beyond checking to see if I can get to the router settings, I will update here before doing anything.

Thanks again for all the help folks!

PS: A six pack = no prob!
Old 06-15-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
OK, all is not lost. When you signed up for this forum did you use your home computer? 'Cos the info I can check says that it is on a dynamic IP.
Yup, I signed up under this computer and location.
But I have logged in from my office too.

If you can check, most of my logins from the office would have been during the day and always the same ip. Most of my logins in the mornings and DEFINITELY nights (after 9pm EST) would be from here and different ips.
Old 06-15-2009
Vicvelcro

I'll be around. If the tips fix you right up, then good on ya.
Old 06-15-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvelcro View Post
Keep a record of the settings before you change them, in the event you might need to restore them.
Vic, worst case, let's say I am able to change the mac addy, and something bad should happen to his network.

If I change the mac addy back to the original, should he in theory get his network back EXACTLY as it was before I made the change?
Old 06-15-2009
Vicvelcro

Correct. As long as you change it back within a window of 6-24 hours (depends on provider). But if something isn't kosher (unlikely), you'll know sooner than that.

So keep track of the TIME and what the MAC and IP are before you make any changes. Then, log what those are afterward, as well.
Old 06-15-2009
Threadstarter  

got it, thanks again and I will report back.
Old 06-18-2009
Threadstarter  

Ok guys/gals...

I am at my office and I was able to log into the router.

Router = Lynksis WRT54G

Under the "setup" tab, I see the following subtabs:

Basic setup, ddns, mac address clone, advanced routing.

I'm thinking I need to get into the "mac address clone" section?
That's where I see "enable" and "disable" buttons.
Right now, it's set to "disable".

Is this where I need to change the last 2 digits?

00.14.BF.05.XX.XX

Those are the values but are grayed out due to this being "disabled".

Am I in the right section?

PS: Vic - as you mentioned,

"If you aren't 192.168.1.1, try viewing the status of your connection in network settings. find out your local ethernet ip address. Your router is usually going to be the same IP as your ethernet IP but change the last digit to 0 or 1 and paste the entire address into your browser."

Since I am wireless, I checked my wireless network connection status and the IP address is different from the router. My IP is 192.168.xx.xxx

The ip address of the router = 69.116.xxx.xx

Last edited by TermedPS; 06-18-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-18-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%
Send a message via Yahoo to philly387

Quote:
Originally Posted by TermedPS View Post

The ip address of the router = 69.116.xxx.xx
That is the address that is coming from the cable modem...the one that ebay will actually see.

check out this thread...

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...s-comcast.html

or

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...ys-router.html
TermedPS (06-29-2009)