Time Warner Cable Issue - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 10-10-2010
MU

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Exclamation Time Warner Cable Issue

I have been using Time Warner Cable Internet now for almost five years. My IP used to change all the time. For the last year or so, I kept the same IP all the time. I called Time Warner and they claimed the problem was because I was using a modem/router combo and because it was wireless, it wouldn't reset. Fine. I went an bought just a modem and a separate wireless router, both of which are Linksys brand. I set them up and called up Time Warner to get the modem to be activated in their system and I received a new IP address.

I have went through all the steps to get a new IP address, including turning it off for a period of time, mac address change, releasing the IP, etc. and not a single thing will get the IP to change. I am not paying for a Static IP and Time Warner claims it should change every few days, but it never does. I left it turned off a full day and that would not even change the address. I can go buy a new modem, but the process of changing the MAC address with Time Warner is tedious and just not worth all the effort since that modem will forever be tied to whatever number they want to give me.

My question is, am I possibly missing something? Is it possible to keep a cable modem and also have DSL from another company? I would like to setup 2-3 more accounts and I don't want to do that until I can get a new ip on a consistent, less hassle free way.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-10-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Is it possible to keep a cable modem and also have DSL from another company?

Sure. You have to pay for it, but sure. I had such a setup for awhile. DSL comes over the phone line, so there is no "interference". As long s there is a DSL provider in your area, you can sign up.

In fact, I used to have Comcast at 20MBPS. I switched to Verizon DSL which is advertised at 7MBPS, but always tests at 6MBPS. It is less than half the cost of Comcast. And still, my Netflix streams just fine, I can even have 3 computers connected to the internet and still stream Netflix just fine.

Once you get the DSL, you might find you no longer need the cable modem, and it is usually cheaper. Comcast, in my area, now has something called Xfinity, which claims 80MBPS. That might be useful in the future, but right now, I don't see why anybody would need that type of speed. Even for those of you downloading movies or music, 6MBPS is usually about as fast as you are going to get anyway - since the other party you are downloading from would also have to have an 80MBPS connection to get the benefits of the speed and most users just don't have that capacity.

Just call the DSL provider to make sure they use DYNAMIC IP's. Some are STATIC.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
Gladiator (10-13-2010)
Old 10-10-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

Well all that could have been avoided. Grad a linksys wireless router. Plug it into your current modem and follow this video! [VIDEO] Easy Tutorial how to change your IP Address using a Linksys Router!
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot2kill For This Useful Post:
Gladiator (10-13-2010)
Old 10-11-2010
MU

Have you bought the stealth guide? stealth guide tells you pretty good what to do with the router...

(at) gladiator...
Old 10-11-2010

Longevity: 78%

Hello,
if I buy 2 of the same wireless router, will they have different mac addresses?
Thank you in advance,
ratleg.
Old 10-11-2010
MU

(at) ratleg no they won't have the same mac address. They will have a different mac ddress.
Old 10-13-2010
MU
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 82%

@fandangokango - I do have the stealth guide. I am not a noob when it comes to computers and I have successfully changed my ip in the past. The problems I am encountering seem to be directly linked to Time Warner giving me a Static IP, regardless of their claims it is not.

I am going to go with a dsl company and keep the Time Warner account for my current stealth stores. It should be less of a hassel that way.

Even the video regarding grading will not work. Not a single thing will change the ip outside of calling Time Warner who wants to question me as to why I need a new address, which I am sure flags someone in their system.

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone. I will keep all of it in mind for the future when I switch cable providers.