eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Tracking (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/)
-   -   Comcast Cable Modem with Router Question (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/3783-comcast-cable-modem-router-question.html)

cp2120 04-01-2008 09:20 AM

Comcast Cable Modem with Router Question

I am having a hard time changing my IP address. I am a PC dummy so please bear with me. :( I contacted Comcast last night about 3 times to change my IP address with no luck. They reset my internet with no luck. I went through the commands with a tech over the phone ipconfig/release and stuff... no luck. I unplugged my cables to my router for 5 minutes, no luck... I did it overnight last night about 8 hours and still no luck. Any help would be great as I have no clue about computer stuff like this.
Thanks!!

twdell 04-01-2008 09:45 AM

this is from another post

1) Go to the start menu, click on run and type CMD
2) Type in IPCONFIG
3) That is the current IP address (assuming you dont have a routed hooked up)
4) Now you are going to type IPCONFIG/RELEASE
5) You will be disconnected from the internet --- Go to Start menu, My Network Places, Click on Network Connections in the left menu, Right click on your internet connection (It may be Local Area Connection, something to that affect)...anyways, right click and select properties
6) Now select Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and select properties
7) Choose Use the following IP address and type in the following:
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.11.100
Then just click on the Subnet Mask and it will fill it in
8) Next Click OK to close that window and then OK on the other window
9) It will take a couple seconds and then once you are able to, click back on properties for the Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and select Obtain An IP Address Automatically
10) Click OK and OK to close those windows and now go back to the CMD prompt and type in ipconfig/all
11) As you will see, the IP has changed!!!
12) Now this is the COOL part, you can copy that information (you will need IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and the DNS Servers) and mark it down for one of your eBay accounts.....When you want to go back to that IP, you just go back to the properties section of the Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and type in all of that information that you wrote down...BOOM....you are at that IP again (dont believe me, then go to Find My IP Address - Lookup)
13)You can easliy switch between IPs this way and you dont even have to unplug the modem!!!!

i have a comcast cable modem and a router too. i use this process mentioned above to change my ip very easily. the only thing i can't do is use an old ip. i have to get a new one every time. no problems with do this though.

as for the router i do not use it unless i am going to use my laptop. then i hook up my router, but i don't log into ebay with the laptop so i don't have to worry about ip's.

try doing a reset on the router with the reset button. there should be a very small hole in the back somewhere. you should be able to press a little button with a pen tip or something. that did the trick for resetting my router's ip.

cp2120 04-01-2008 09:55 AM

thanks i did see that posting, but got confused because after that people were asking for directions with a router. where is that IP address he gave us located? do i use another one? i am REALLY bad when it comes to technical stuff with computers.

twdell 04-01-2008 11:04 AM

i am by no means an expert when it comes to computers. if i can do this i think any one cam. here is the ip address you should use when resetting the ip, 192.168.11.100.

like i said though that is changing the ip through the modem. you will have to disconnect the router.

cp2120 04-01-2008 11:07 AM

got it, thanks. i will try this when i get home from work and see how it works. i dont understand why comcast cant change it.

thelizardking 04-01-2008 04:18 PM

you can use 192.168.11.100 or 192.168.11.1

ebayhateluv-If you switch, then switch again within about an hour you can get that old IP back, atleast in my experience. After you do it it will say how long the lease is for, mines for an hr each time.

aspkin 04-01-2008 04:20 PM

Comcast is a pain in the arse for most people. You might want to check into AOL proxy or dialup as a last resort.

abc123 04-16-2008 03:38 AM

do not bother with dial up!

comcast is great for ebay!trust me,i wish comcast offer service in the area i live now.

you just lack the knowledge

beus 04-25-2008 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cp2120 (Post 34275)
I am having a hard time changing my IP address. I am a PC dummy so please bear with me. :( I contacted Comcast last night about 3 times to change my IP address with no luck. They reset my internet with no luck. I went through the commands with a tech over the phone ipconfig/release and stuff... no luck. I unplugged my cables to my router for 5 minutes, no luck... I did it overnight last night about 8 hours and still no luck. Any help would be great as I have no clue about computer stuff like this.
Thanks!!

What I do, I turn on the computer. I unplug the modem (the power cord). I log in to the router's administration. I click on MAC address and I change it. Than I plug in the modem. When it connects than I have a different IP address. After I save these settings (Save/Backup Settings) so later I can switch back and forth with different IPs. I can do the same thing with the other computers what we have, then I save those settings too, so I have a couple of different IP address to play with. It is easy to do because every time I unplug the modem I'll get a different IP address. The problem is always the router, because it grabs one IP.

This works for me. But you should try to connect the modem to your computer without the router. Check the IP. Then unplug the modem's power cord. Wait a few seconds, plug it in and check the IP again. If it's different than your router is the problem.