eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Tracking (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/)
-   -   Urgent !! My laptop's hard disk dead , How to do about stealth account ? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/51635-urgent-my-laptops-hard-disk-dead-how-do-about-stealth-account.html)

blue sky 10-10-2012 11:25 AM

Urgent !! My laptop's hard disk dead , How to do about stealth account ?

Hello

This afternoon my laptop change to black screen and can not boot again. I remove hard disk to check and found it not work !!

It seem hopeless to use that hard disk again maybe need to buy new laptop but dead laptop contain stealth account ( 2 years / 2700+ fb and monthly sales 40,000 usd++ ) My question is :

1. If I use new laptop to login ebay ( have not old cookie & any history but still same IP address because I use it at home ) eBay will request phone confirmation ? I have not phone number for these account.

2. If I buy new hard disk to replace the old laptop , it will be safer ?

3. Have any idea for this case ? Please let me know

BiN4RY 10-10-2012 11:33 AM

You're being too paranoid. Real eBay users switch computers from time to time too, it's fine to get a new hard drive.

TGMT² 10-10-2012 11:43 AM

Agreed...

Just don't automatically sign in and list new items the same day.

Once you sign in, do some browsing, print some shipping labels, do all the little things and that will get all your cookies and such set. :)

blue sky 10-10-2012 11:50 AM

Thank you for your reply , I'm start crazy because this account is so important for me.

I'm just concern about phone verification and I can not pass them.

If I use new laptop .. that will be safe ?

PS : I'm also real ebay user with 8 staffs for this department. I'm not switch computer for any accounts , We manage it 1 by 1 to each computer. It's easy to manage and safe for long term business

blue sky 10-10-2012 11:53 AM

TGMT² : Thank you for your reply , this information very helpful. I will buy new laptop tomorrow and also change hard disk for dying laptop too.

rsot 10-10-2012 12:05 PM

I did this recently with a new laptop for several old accounts - I found that first you browse a lot, build up your cookies, maybe buy something. Yes a couple of accounts had the phone call PIN verification ....it is ALWAYS recommended that you have a working phone number on file for eb/pp - dont undercut yourself

slapped 10-10-2012 12:47 PM

I also Agree with my Esteemed colleagues above,,I will only add that when you get your new Laptop, if you can,, choose one that has a new SSD Harddrive,,,you will never have to worry about Hard drive Failure again (There are NO Moving Parts in an SSD Drive)

yotano211 10-10-2012 02:52 PM

SSD drives still fail, the drive controller circuit board gives out.

BiN4RY 10-10-2012 03:02 PM

And their performance permanently deteriorates over time as you write over and over again to the SSD and eventually it will give out all together.

slim jim 10-10-2012 03:12 PM

You guys are making me scared to go to ssd lol. I have had a small amount of problems with traditional hard drives and am wondering if I am messing with a good thing for the sake of a little speed

jamcocktail21 10-10-2012 08:32 PM

Slapped is right about SSD

download3000 10-10-2012 08:55 PM

pfft my SSD has been going strong over 1 year atm and it stills boots windows in 5seconds.

slim jim 10-10-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by download3000 (Post 383001)
pfft my SSD has been going strong over 1 year atm and it stills boots windows in 5seconds.

i really must do the upgrade already. and no heat at all? i have an old laptop and it's main problem is overheating and i think this will solve that problem

BiN4RY 10-10-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim jim (Post 383002)
i have an old laptop and it's main problem is overheating and i think this will solve that problem

LAptop hard drives barely generates any heat, it's your CPU/GPU that's creating most of the heat.

slapped 10-10-2012 10:04 PM

I am VERY Well Aware of the FEW SSD Harddrives Shortcommings,,BOTH Flavors of SSD Drives (MLC and SLC) They each have their Pro's and Con's, BOTH Performance Wise and Longevity wise,, But there is NO WAY that even the most INFERIOR SSD HDD will not out perform AND OUT LAST even the VERY BEST conventional (Platter) HDD by at LEAST 3 Times, The evidence Supporting this is becomming more and more overwhelming as more time passes,,,

In time the Capacities will be much more substiantial than they are now, and of Course, they will also be substantialy less Expensive

blue sky 10-11-2012 12:27 AM

Thank you for hard disk info. but now I need to come back home to take my dying hard disk from Fridge !!

Do you have any experience about HDD after freeze ? Hope good luck this time

blue sky 10-11-2012 01:08 AM

Today I chat with live help ( ebay.com.au ) about this case .. and this is result.

Fely C.
Welcome to eBay Australia Customer Support Live Chat! My name is Fely C . How may I help you?
me
hello
Fely C.
hello. How are you and how may I help you?
me
My laptop broken last night .. and it can not boot up. If I use new laptop to login ebay account .. it need any verification again ?
Fely C.
If the system detects that you have a new IP address, it will ask you to confirm your indentity.
Fely C.
No worries, I will help you with this.

I think it will help

yotano211 10-11-2012 01:34 AM

oh wow lol, they have no clue. You won't need to confirm your identity, it might just ask for your log in info and password and that's it.

I have logged in with tons of new IP address and I never need to confirm my ID. I have even changed my hard drive at least 6 times within the past few months. When you do finally change the HHD out, just browse around some, get some cookies going, log out and start to list the next day. I do that every time with no problems.

Oh and the hard drive in the fridge trick does not work. If the drive is already dead, it's dead, RIP. You would have to take the drive apart, take out what ever is broken out, put in new part and seal it back together. LOL....good luck with that.

yotano211 10-11-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim jim (Post 383002)
i really must do the upgrade already. and no heat at all? i have an old laptop and it's main problem is overheating and i think this will solve that problem

If you system is overheating, it's time to clean out the dust bunnies. The are clogging up the heatsink of the processor/graphics card. You should be cleaning it out every month or few months. The best complete job is to take it apart, do a repasting job with Arctic Silver 5 and then clean out the heatsink.

What system do you have, if you want, I will talk you through it. It's really easy.

slim jim 10-11-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotano211 (Post 383039)
If you system is overheating, it's time to clean out the dust bunnies. The are clogging up the heatsink of the processor/graphics card. You should be cleaning it out every month or few months. The best complete job is to take it apart, do a repasting job with Arctic Silver 5 and then clean out the heatsink.

What system do you have, if you want, I will talk you through it. It's really easy.

I have an old inspiron 6400. I've cleaned it out but never worked on the heatsink. Hmmm

SUVE 10-11-2012 03:13 PM

I might add, one major issue with SSD that is often overlooked is that many SSD failures are in fact unrecoverable due to the greater complexity of the task.

Don't count on being able to recover data from a failed flash SSD.

yotano211 10-12-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim jim (Post 383143)
I have an old inspiron 6400. I've cleaned it out but never worked on the heatsink. Hmmm

Hmmm, and there is your problem. The heatsink is clogged with those dirty bunnies, and I dont mean the playboy bunnies, but I'm sure lots of those are dirty enough. :lol:

oh btw, old or new computer doesn't matter. If it still makes you money it's still works in my eyes. My last selling computer was a HP 2510p running a dual core processor running at only 1.33ghz, slower than grandpa driving on the freeway, but it still made money.

**more adding, since you know how to take it apart, I guess you wont need help. But do check out the heatsink.