eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Tracking (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/)
-   -   PHONE VERIFICATION for sellers listing (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/5185-phone-verification-sellers-listing.html)

pureas 06-14-2008 05:32 PM

PHONE VERIFICATION for sellers listing

has ANYONE run in to this problem yet or is it just all talk:

Hello…I’m John Canfield, Senior Director for Trust & Safety policy management. My team specializes in working to keep the site safe and protected against fraud. Much of the company’s work around safety happens behind the scenes, but some of our efforts are also public-facing. Masking and protecting our Community’s identities on all bidder IDs on auction-style listings, the PayPal Security Key, our work with Yahoo and other domains to block email from unauthenticated addresses, and encouraging safer payments – each of these address a particular aspect of security and is making a dramatic difference in the overall security and safety of the marketplace and consumers’ confidence in shopping online. Our technologies – those that exist today, as well as those that we are designing for tomorrow – are helping to make the internet safer every day.

I’d like to tell you about a new safety initiative that launches on April 14th.

Trusted Selling with Identity Confirmation
One of the ways criminals attempt to defraud people on eBay is by gaining access to member accounts with well-established reputations which they then use to set up listings in that person’s name. They gain this access often through a phishing email that convinces an unsuspecting member to click a link and enter their User ID and password.

To protect the Community against this type of fraud, beginning today, eBay will start noting which computers members typically use to conduct their buying and selling activity. After our data collection phase, sometime in June eBay will begin verifying our sellers when they list an item to ensure they are logging in from the same machines they have successfully used previously – usually a home or business computer.

If you are a seller, and you attempt to list an item from a different computer – for example, from a PC you are borrowing in a hotel or library – eBay will make an automated call to the phone number you have registered with us to confirm it is really you. We may also prompt you to verify your identity in other ways.

Initially, this identity confirmation process will only be applied to selling, although we may be extending this to other high-visibility activity in the future.

Sellers, please update your registered phone numbers
Now more than ever, having a current phone number on file with eBay is vital to the safety of the Community and to your business. A wrong or outdated phone number may delay your ability to list items or respond to your customers, if eBay cannot verify your identity.

Have a cell phone? Registering it could save you time and money
If you carry a mobile phone, we encourage you to add this number as a secondary phone number in your registration details, so that we can reach you when you are away from your business or residence where you normally use your trusted computer. Your secondary number will not be shared with other members and will be treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Has anyone run into this problem at all? If so, how'd you get over it. Is it an automated call or is it an actual person on the phone requesting you to confirm your info (name, address, date of birth and ETC)

ebayhateluv 06-14-2008 07:08 PM

HI: Its an automated call-- Youve got to punch in the digits they tell you, then they give you 4 digit pin number to enter on line.. It takes all of 60 seconds to complete..

yogarelax 06-14-2008 10:09 PM

But, if you are using a computer at your library and ebay calls you at home to ask, if you really listed this. uuuuuuh, like run home real fast to answer the phone???? Or, I guess someone needs to be at home answering the calls while you are at Starbucks listing items??? are these ebay folks all blonds???? or is because i am blond that i don`t understand this phone checking business!!!

thelizardking 06-14-2008 11:34 PM

they have other options like Live Chat

imjustme 06-15-2008 11:37 AM

I wonder how the live chat will work, though. Will the live chat be able to place a flash cookie for future identification on your computer? Or will you need to visit the live chat for each item you want to list?

If the later, we'll soon see live chat response times increase from 10 minutes to 50 minutes :D