eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Tracking (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/)
-   -   User Account - Switch User or Sign Out? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/63073-user-account-switch-user-sign-out.html)

amysol 08-09-2013 11:46 AM

User Account - Switch User or Sign Out?

I noticed that windows 8 user accounts allows you to switch users and not sign out, or switch users by first signing out of current user.

When you switch, you are totally in the new user account, their settings, and desk top etc. However technically the PC shows you are still logged into the other user account. The benefit if just switching is simply that you don't have to save and close down all programs, then reopen all programs again when switching back. This saves about 5 minutes per switch for me.

My question is, is just switching users ok? Or do I need sign off from the first user before switching? It seems to me it's ok to just switch without signing out because you are on a new user name with all their settings etc. But I thought I'd ask just to be sure...

My concern is ebay can still see computer info of another user of they are logged in. (doubt it, but you never know)

Please let me know if you know anything about this.

JamesNorth101 08-09-2013 11:56 AM

Log out. I always do. Just not worth the risk

An0nym0u$ 08-09-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysol (Post 475540)
I noticed that windows 8 user accounts allows you to switch users and not sign out, or switch users by first signing out of current user.

This is also a function of Windows XP/Vista & 7, not just 8.

Quote:

When you switch, you are totally in the new user account, their settings, and desk top etc. However technically the PC shows you are still logged into the other user account. The benefit if just switching is simply that you don't have to save and close down all programs, then reopen all programs again when switching back. This saves about 5 minutes per switch for me.

That's correct, when you switch you are a totally new user. Each Window's account has their own LSO's (local shared objects) or flash cookies. If you read the stealth guide, you'll know that flash objects (along w/ IP address) is one of the main things ebay can link you. LSOs are not shared between Windows accounts.

Need an example? Open a Chrome browser on Windows A. Save some bookmarks. Now, switch to Windows B. Open that same Chrome browser. Are the bookmarks there? No. Why? Because LSOs are stored locally (hence the name local shared objects)

Quote:

My question is, is just switching users ok? Or do I need sign off from the first user before switching? It seems to me it's ok to just switch without signing out because you are on a new user name with all their settings etc. But I thought I'd ask just to be sure...

Yes, you can switch and not log off (I do this all the time). See explanation on LSOs above.

Quote:

My concern is ebay can still see computer info of another user of they are logged in. (doubt it, but you never know)

Ebay cannot see your computer name. I can call my computer amysol and they would not know. Not that I would do that :p

An0nym0u$ 08-09-2013 12:34 PM

Here are where LSOs are stored. Notice it is stored by profile name....

On Windows XP, the flash cookies are stored under...
C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Profile]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\[Random Name]\[Web Site Path].

On Windows 7/Vista, the flash cookies are stored under...
C:\Users\[Your Profile]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\[Random Name]\[Web Site Path].

JamesNorth101 08-09-2013 01:17 PM

@An0nym0u$ The reason that I myself have always avoided it is because I ran a test.

I logged into windows account A1, I then installed Skype on my computer, singed into Skype, switched to a different user account (A2) and then used another laptop to 'ring' the Skype running in account A1. It enabled me to ring, and shows the Skype as online. So I theorized that if in some freak accident eBay, or an eBay website refreshed or loaded on A1 while I was eBaying on A2 with a new IP, the two accounts would then get linked

Decided it just was not worth the risk.

An0nym0u$ 08-09-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 475577)
@An0nym0u$ The reason that I myself have always avoided it is because I ran a test.

I logged into windows account A1, I then installed Skype on my computer, singed into Skype, switched to a different user account (A2) and then used another laptop to 'ring' the Skype running in account A1. It enabled me to ring, and shows the Skype as online. So I theorized that if in some freak accident eBay, or an eBay website refreshed or loaded on A1 while I was eBaying on A2 with a new IP, the two accounts would then get linked

Decided it just was not worth the risk.

I understand. But my question to that would be...when you installed Skype on the computer, did you allow all user accounts access to using Skype or just that particular user account? (Usually, in the beginning of installation, the program will ask you if you want all user accounts to have access or "just me").

I think you may have allowing all Windows account to be able to access it.

If you allow all users to have access to a single program, then yes, that would create issues (such as sharing a single Stamps.com program and using it across Windows accounts).

Ultimately, if anyone is skeptical about this, logging out completely is the preferred method.

JamesNorth101 08-09-2013 01:39 PM

I made sure on that one that just that account had the privileges to it, but as all my accounts are Admin accounts its possible that other accounts could still use it if manually opened on the hard drive.

I have always been of the opinion to be over paranoid when it comes to eBay and PP.... :spy:

An0nym0u$ 08-09-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 475587)
I have always been of the opinion to be over paranoid when it comes to eBay and PP.... :spy:

That is something I can agree w/ 100%.

@amysol, its best if you log out competely. Taking shortcuts when you're unsure will end up biting you in the end. The extra 5 minutes it may take to re-load your windows profile will seem like nothing if you end up getting linked and have to create a new stealth account.

JameNorth101 and I have provided our opinions on the topic. Best of luck w/ whatever decision you decide.

Dmshark25 08-09-2013 02:09 PM

Also try having 15-20 user accounts open at once your computer will be so slow. Just log off and go to next account

MM78 08-09-2013 10:16 PM

Log Off...less strain on your computer.

Furious George 08-09-2013 11:08 PM

I think it's much safer to delete the browsing history and not switch users.

There's just too much to go wrong. When you start to run multiple accounts, it gets very messy.

GreenBean 08-09-2013 11:20 PM

Windows 8 is not the better OS system either.

Make a practise of logging off to CUT any link between accounts.

:mod:

JamesNorth101 08-10-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious George (Post 475704)
I think it's much safer to delete the browsing history and not switch users.

There's just too much to go wrong. When you start to run multiple accounts, it gets very messy.

This will anger eBay :mad:

So long as you keep organised its easy to run multiple stealths with different user accounts.

Brainbuster 08-10-2013 03:06 AM

That's just what I was thinking.
If you delete the LSO's (a firefox add-on BetterPrivacy does this),
you won't have linkage, but at the same time Ebay may notice that you
sweep and scatter the sand behind you as you walk along the shore.

Just don't want to attract attention.

derbydave 08-10-2013 08:33 AM

i never used to log out of ebay when switching accounts, although i made sure i changed IP address. that was until i noticed that my torrent client on the other account was still running and downloading/uploading. it doesn't freeze the account, so now i always log out or close the browser. it's unlikely the browser on the logged in account will refresh, but if it does then there'll be trouble.

not worth the hassle of leaving it open and logged in, when closing the browser or logging out takes seconds.

rsot 08-10-2013 08:35 AM

I rotate between different user accounts for my eB accounts and I always log off.

Brainbuster 11-23-2013 05:43 PM

Re: User Account - Switch User or Sign Out?

What do you fellas do for all your segregated files on each account?
JamesNorth mentioned that all his accounts are Admin accounts, so I guess you can access any file on the computer from any User Acct.
In my case, I reserve my Admin Acct only for installing programs and such, because a savvy computer guy told me that I'm vulnerable if I give Admin authority to the account I use for everyday activities.

For what it's worth, I live alone and am the only person with direct access to my laptop.

The 4 options I can think of are:

1. Give admin privileges to all user accounts.
2. Put all my files, viz., music, movies, books, photos, etc...into the Public folder accessible to all users.
3. Put all my files on an external hard drive.
4. (what I'm doing now...a pain in the butt) Keep the "pre-suspension" files on my "pre-suspension" user acct, and all files I've procured "post-suspension" on my "post-suspension" stealth user account, which I'm now using exclusively. Trouble with this is, if I search my computer for "my resume," it shows no results; so if I want to really search everywhere on my computer I'll need to close all windows, log off, log into either the pre-suspension acct or the Admin acct to search all files in all user accts. I tend to multi-task so closing all the windows and getting back to where I was is a real pain.

Sorry if this has been answered before...I tried searching the forum using the search terms "multiple user accounts public file folder," but those search terms are too ambiguous. I got a lot of "public wifi" and "using public computers" threads.

Dmshark25 11-29-2013 11:02 PM

Logg off each one first, besides knowing no other account is open on a different IP. Ur computer will slow down so much when 15 user accounts are open, I made that mistake starting off

e2free 07-19-2017 01:50 PM

Just for knowledge everyone suggest to log off for eBay user account then what's the point of virtual machine ?

Can't eBay or PayPal read data from other user accounts ? I believe amaozn do?

ScottieBoi 07-20-2017 10:50 PM

User accounts work for eBay, not Amazon. People use VM with eBay to be signed into multiple accounts side by side

mike316 07-21-2017 08:28 AM

Why even risk this, 1 million percent it is better to log out before switching. Lots of threads on here were senior members advise this.

ScottieBoi 07-21-2017 09:48 AM

Right, what's the point? Maybe someone's situation is different, but me personally, if I'm checking accounts, I would have no reason to leave one and come back. Just log out. If it takes you 5 minutes to close the programs that you are running, I would really wonder what all you are running lol. Either way, this post is 5 years old....