eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Tracking (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/)
-   -   IP detected through Gmail or not? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/78853-ip-detected-through-gmail-not.html)

nostro 10-25-2014 09:18 PM

IP detected through Gmail or not?

When I logged in to my Gmail account with my local IP, I saw that there were several eBay email messages in the little "Social" box in the upper right corner of the Inbox (I hope you know what I'm talking about).

If you go into your Gmail inbox, Gmail separates eBay messages into a separate box called "Social" that you'll notice in the menu of the Gmail inbox.

But I didn't go in there or open any of the eBay emails. Can eBay log the IP regardless of whether you open their email or not?

I did go in and disable images but before I disable images, are they able to detect my IP if I don't open any of their emails?

Thanks

Karakolio 10-26-2014 03:24 AM

Re: IP detected through Gmail or not?

No, they can't detect your IP.

JamesNorth101 10-26-2014 06:06 AM

So long as images and becons are disabled then they cannot see your IP even if you open the email.

aspkin 10-26-2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostro (Post 602025)
When I logged in to my Gmail account with my local IP, I saw that there were several eBay email messages in the little "Social" box in the upper right corner of the Inbox (I hope you know what I'm talking about).

If you go into your Gmail inbox, Gmail separates eBay messages into a separate box called "Social" that you'll notice in the menu of the Gmail inbox.

But I didn't go in there or open any of the eBay emails. Can eBay log the IP regardless of whether you open their email or not?

I did go in and disable images but before I disable images, are they able to detect my IP if I don't open any of their emails?

Thanks

No.. that's just a way for GMail to moderate your inbox for you... I don't like that personally so it's disabled for my account.

It doesn't open emails for you.. nor would that be a problem if it did.

nostro 10-26-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 602126)
So long as images and becons are disabled then they cannot see your IP even if you open the email.

But to clarify, I saw the eBay messages there when I went into the Gmail inbox. This was before I disabled images (of course, I immediately disabled them) but I just want to be sure that only if you click on the eBay email will anything be logged by eBay.

As long as you don't click on the eBay email eBay cannot log anything regardless of disabled images or not, correct?

JamesNorth101 10-26-2014 03:58 PM

That is correct.

Only when the email is opened will eBay see the IP address if images and becons are not diabled.

GreenBean 10-26-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostro (Post 602232)
But to clarify, I saw the eBay messages there when I went into the Gmail inbox. This was before I disabled images (of course, I immediately disabled them) but I just want to be sure that only if you click on the eBay email will anything be logged by eBay.

As long as you don't click on the eBay email eBay cannot log anything regardless of disabled images or not, correct?

That was your saving step. Because you were smart enough to not click on that email, ebay had no way to do a thing.

Good steps there for being stealth.

Nice one.

:thumb:

nostro 10-26-2014 04:35 PM

Big THANKS to Everyone on this post, you guys are simply the BEST. :clap:

FYI, I changed my IP anyway just to be sure but I am very appreciative of your help. It really means alot!

slokor 10-26-2014 05:27 PM

By he way - gmail supposedly downloads the images through their servers before passing it on to you so your IP address is 'supposed' to be hidden regardless.
Of course its not worth the risk leaving it enabled - unless youre opening emails on the appropriate user account and IP address for that specific account.

nostro 10-26-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slokor (Post 602255)
By he way - gmail supposedly downloads the images through their servers before passing it on to you so your IP address is 'supposed' to be hidden regardless.
Of course its not worth the risk leaving it enabled - unless you're opening emails on the appropriate user account and IP address for that specific account.

Thank you as well for this info. Very relevant. This confirms even further that eBay cannot log anything unless you physically open their emails...

Question this brings up however:

When you say >>>your IP address is 'supposed' to be hidden regardless, are you saying that my IP is hidden regardless if images are disabled or not?

But once you click on the eBay email though all bets are off.. They got your info, correct?

slokor 10-26-2014 05:45 PM

Yes - even if images are enabled and you open an email from ebay your IP is STILL masked - supposedly. This is according to gmail themselves. I don't chance it though. No way for me to confirm that gmail are actually doing what theyre supposed to be doing so I don't risk it.

nostro 10-27-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slokor (Post 602263)
Yes - even if images are enabled and you open an email from ebay your IP is STILL masked - supposedly. This is according to gmail themselves. I don't chance it though. No way for me to confirm that gmail are actually doing what theyre supposed to be doing so I don't risk it.

I have an interesting question (I think) relevant to this discussion regarding an eBay account I created and added a Gmail account to.

I logged in to my Gmail account from work and tried to open an eBay email I received in there.

I immediately got a big "Access Denied" webpage from my company and could not go any further.

This tells me the company security controls (firewalls etc.) are blocking access to eBay from my work computer.

Does this mean eBay could not have logged anything about me from that email I tried to open?

I figure if I can't access eBay through the company network, chances are eBay likewise has no access to my work computer thus they cannot log anything from my computer at work even if I attempt to open their emails from there, correct?

bananaappeal 10-28-2014 03:59 AM

nostro 10-28-2014 08:39 AM

Is that a family picture? Nice family! Beautiful kids!

rsot 11-02-2014 08:40 AM

Halloween-style