eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Tracking (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/)
-   -   AOL dial-up vs 'bring your own access' (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/8153-aol-dial-up-vs-bring-your-own-access.html)

DeeKem 11-14-2008 12:18 PM

AOL dial-up vs 'bring your own access'

Everyone always talks about "dial-up" as in the old AOL. Can someone please explain about the "bring your own access? I have a broadband internet connection through my cable TV supplier with a modem and a wireless router that serves all the computers in the house. However, I have kept my old AOL account. But instead of the old $21.00 a month that I used to pay for the old dial-up service, I went with the "bring your own access" AOL plan for $9.99. This plan allows some dial-up time if you need it. Instead of dial-up the old way through the telephone where it connects to a modem, I log onto AOL from my internet broad band connection. As in TCP/IP.

I did some checking by logging straight into the internet and checking my IP address through my broadband and it shows my IP area around here. Then logging into AOL through the "bring your own access" and checking the IP. The "bring your own access" comes up somewhere in Kansas, same as the old dial-up AOL. So is it OK to use the faster broadband with AOL than the old slower dial-up phone modem to get that different IP?

I haven't seen this discussed - I did search before asking. I only see "slow dial-up" discussed, not the "bring your own access" method.

Hottest_eBay_Goddess 11-19-2008 02:17 AM

I've been doing some extensive research of my own and if you notice your IP will usually only change when you are using some form of AOL software (ie; AOL Desktop, 9.1, etc.). Also, you might only get a single IP no matter how many times you log in or out. This does not necessarily mean it is not OK to use as I have shown in a previous post in the Member's Area, but dial up is proven to change your IP completely each and every time you dial up. You might try both and see what happens 30 days from now and then report back.

-HeG