eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Tracking (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/)
-   -   I sold VERY specific items--how risky? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/85914-i-sold-very-specific-items-how-risky.html)

NoOneYouKnow 05-20-2015 09:13 AM

I sold VERY specific items--how risky?

I was recently suspended, after a VERY long and overwhelmingly positive eBay career. My primary selling item is a certain kind of collectible that is pretty specific; there are probably less than 100 or so real dealers of it (as opposed to collectors who sometimes sell off parts of their collections) on eBay and I was probably the most well-known.

I had a secondary eBay account that sold all other categories, and my first stealth account will focus on this stuff...everything except the collectible. I will ramp up a few secondary stealth accounts and my plan is to return to selling that collectible.

My question is...assuming no collectors/competitors get wise to my stealth(s) -- and I will take camouflaging steps to prevent this -- to anyone's knowledge, does eBay ever do any investigating PRIMARILY by the subject matter?

It would be easiest to just leave that collectible forever, but I have spent years and years amassing a huge inventory and network of suppliers, and am not willing to let that go to waste. So my plan is to just be as careful as possible and try to keep in mind eBay's pattern of past behavior.

Thanks for any guidance.

NOYK

jeffweico 05-20-2015 09:44 AM

Re: I sold VERY specific items--how risky?

What was it that got you suspended? Was it the collectible item? Is there an issue with such items?

I have no idea what you are selling, and I am not asking, but I can try to relate it...

Take a Star Trek Box Set of DVD's. Not EXACTLY a collectible, but close. OK... So, let's say the box set retails for $299 and Amazon has it for $249 and a few eBay sellers are selling it for between $229 - $299. And some people will be selling used ones as well, for less money.

All of a sudden, a seller pops up on eBay an starts selling it for $169 NEW. eBay is going to be VERY SUSPICIOUS that the item may be counterfeit, because the wholesale price is actually HIGHER that this seller's selling price.

eBay will most likely ask the seller to provide invoices showing that they purchased enough of the product to at least match the number sold on eBay. But eBay will accept ONLY an invoice from an authorized supplier. They won't accept receipts from closeout companies, liquidators, etc. And they will probably CALL the authorized supplier to verify the purchase and that you are a customer.

The same thing could happen even if you were selling them for $279 if they got customer complaints claiming your item was a counterfeit. Sometimes these complaints are legitimate. Sometimes it may be a competitor trying to eliminate the competition. But eBay won't care, they will want proof.

Now, YOUR merchandise is probably different and it may be perfectly authentic. But if it is mass-produced by counterfeiters, you will have a hard time selling it. That is, unless you can prove that they are coming from an authorized supplier.

I'm using this to answer your question, because YES, eBay DOES investigate by subject matter. ANYTHING could trigger the investigation - the price, the number sold, a competitor complaint, a customer complaint - even a question from a POTENTIAL customer asking if the item is a phake.

MM78 05-20-2015 09:45 AM

My suggestion would be to build up how ever many accounts you plan to sell your collectables on. Along with that, your going to want to make yourself look like a totally different seller of these collectable items....this means New Pictures, New Descriptions, anything that will make you look like a totally different person.

jeffweico 05-20-2015 09:53 AM

Yes, and ALL of the other stealth rules need to be followed as well.

Cutting corners = dead accounts

NoOneYouKnow 05-20-2015 10:11 AM

What supposedly got me suspended had nothing to do with the collectible, and there have never been any complaints about authenticity. The collectible isn't an item like the DVD set mentioned above.

Let's say it's Playbills from the 1950s. It's not, but let's say it is. Something pretty specific, and collectors of the item can easily tell it's authentic.

Thanks for all advice.

NOYK

MM78 05-20-2015 03:43 PM

When and if you begin to list your collectibles, go slow....list a few at a time...don't go too crazy.

GreenBean 05-20-2015 07:15 PM

If you are in a niche market, you have company.

Some of that company will mind their business and let you trade.

Others will not.

I am not going to spell that out further

:boink:

rsot 05-20-2015 07:49 PM

Always good to have some diversity to deal with competitor hits

Efftech 05-21-2015 09:53 AM

I used the same listing and same pictures and they made me a top-rated seller.
I wouldn't worry about it

MM78 05-21-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Efftech (Post 671268)
I used the same listing and same pictures and they made me a top-rated seller.
I wouldn't worry about it

You just made it easier for Ebay to link you to your old account....Good Luck.