Stealth Account Arizona / Seller in California - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 03-04-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 47%
Default Stealth Account Arizona / Seller in California

If I ship out from California, but my registered stealth account is in Arizona, won't red flags be raised by eBay if I start selling a few items.

Is it better just to lay low on the radar, change my address (not name) to California after 60-90 days, then start selling?

It is my understanding that IP addresses are usually a 50 or 100 mile radius and I have this feeling if I sell, Ebay will say "Why is this guy on a California address, but registered in Arizona?"
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-05-2016
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 53%
Default Re: Stealth Account Arizona / Seller in California

Well, what if your warehouse is in CA and you're just registered elsewhere but ship from CA like many other businesses do?

I don't think that's a major problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to IGNAS For This Useful Post:
kampanagroup (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

In regards to your ip question, it's pretty irrelevant as far as I ip address goes, as long as the country matches you can make the stealth account in any state you prefer, the ip address doesn't have to be in the same state
The Following User Says Thank You to 123 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2016
Threadstarter  

Ignas, when I had my legitimate account in California and I would drop-ship, for example, an item from Texas to a buyer in Washington, sometimes when the buyer would track the shipment, they would inquire with me something like "Why are you in California, but the product is being shipped to me from Texas on USPS tracking?"...and, of course, you don't want to tell the buyer you are a drop-shipper, you want them to think you are your own business and you are the one with product in hand.

Also, sometimes buyers would contact Ebay about this odd business set up where the seller is in one state and the product is being shipped from another.

Not to mention that it creates sales tax issues - if I'm registered in Arizona, but my product is in California, do I charge sales tax to California buyers? I'm trying to do all I can to not raise alerts for Ebay to check my account.
Old 03-05-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

The state your account is based out of is also fairly irrelevant. My most active account is only a few states from me. But I have several accounts based in CA, and I ship everything from the east coast. Out of 25,000+ sales in my eBay career, I have had one buyer who asked why the order was being shipped from the wrong state. He was in CA and bought from me specifically because my account said I was in CA. Nothing bad every happened with that sale though. I simply explained to the buyer I was on vacation and had taken some of my stock with me so I didn't have to close shop while I was out of town.

I can tell you it won't be a big deal as far as eBay in concerned, as long as your customers are happy. Some people here have had problems when trying to change the "ship from" zip code on their listing, so I recommend just leaving everything as is and sell as usual.

One concern you should have is the estimated delivery date eBay gives your customers. Change your chosen shipping method on your listings to something slower if the difference in location is causing orders to arrive late, because late deliveries now count against you.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2016
Threadstarter  

Thanks, Phaz0rz. Great tips! I'll still sell slow as molasses from the beginning, but good to know from a stealth vet that you've had active accounts a few states from you and have not encountered any problems/issues.
Old 03-05-2016

I had less than 3,000+ feedback and had a few people inquire about USPS tracking, but ONLY when I shipped out USPS priority mail. My suggestion is when you ship out, try to minimize USPS priority shipping, maybe stick with USPS parcel post or 1st class if your parcels are small.
Old 03-05-2016

Phaz0rz,

What if a seller ships USPS Priority Mail? In your example, if you have an account in CA, and you ship everything from east coast, if a customer in CA wants to have a product shipped USPS priority mail, the shipping rates would be different and the buyer would expect the shipment sooner than you can deliver. It might not be relevant for you, but I wonder how sellers with this predicament would act. I too have a stealth account in Arizona, even though I ship from California. Sometimes the shipping rates tables will be different for buyers based on where the product is shipping.
Old 03-05-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

You can always change the location for each item, put that the item ships from your "Fill in State/City" Warehouse. I did that all the time when I had accounts in other States.
Old 03-05-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 56%

This does not matter from my experience. You can ship from anywhere. as long as it arrives quickly and the customer is happy
Old 03-05-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebrityphotos4you View Post
Phaz0rz,

What if a seller ships USPS Priority Mail? In your example, if you have an account in CA, and you ship everything from east coast, if a customer in CA wants to have a product shipped USPS priority mail, the shipping rates would be different and the buyer would expect the shipment sooner than you can deliver. It might not be relevant for you, but I wonder how sellers with this predicament would act. I too have a stealth account in Arizona, even though I ship from California. Sometimes the shipping rates tables will be different for buyers based on where the product is shipping.

I ship TONS of Priority mail also, mostly in Regional Rate boxes. So the price is highest when the customer is in CA or HI, or anywhere in that zone. What I do is simple. When calculating my margins I use the most expensive shipping cost there is for a particular regional rate box, and put free Priority shipping on the listing. This way I'm still making money when shipping Priority to CA, and the extra money I make by shipping to places close to me is gravy

I, personally, never change the ship from location on my listings. Happy customers do not care.
Old 03-05-2016

I just asked this question the other day, because I was paranoid my stealth says Texas when I'm on the east coast. I ship first class, as I'm just a small seller, it's really not a big deal. My items get there in 2 or the most 3 days.
Old 03-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
This does not matter from my experience. You can ship from anywhere. as long as it arrives quickly and the customer is happy
Agreed! I have also never had this issue with IP vs physical location, as long as both are in the US.

IP address vs physical location would effect people outside the US moreso