Etsy Probation Period - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 06-26-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 53%
Default Etsy Probation Period

Right,

**** has hit the fan in a weird way and I'm looking for some advice and feedback, based on your experience.

I've just received an email, from Etsy team, explaining how my shop has been removed from the general search until I fulfil all my open orders and then I can start my 4 week probation period, where I need to prove myself to them and show how I can operate without having any cases opened against me.

The account is real, my own personal little shop, with 700 orders and all max reviews- I handmade these items myself so its not a case of re-selling just to make profit.
DPD lost 4 of my parcels this week and all 4 customers opened cases, which triggered the probation I believe.

What the best case scenario here, is there a slim chance of passing the 4 week probation period? Or is it one of those "we'll give you a chance" but in reality I get banned anyway letters?

What should I do?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-26-2017
MU

Longevity: 82%
Default Re: Etsy Probation Period

Did you provide tracking for the cases?

I don't think your store will last. Etsy is putting it on you to control others actions, such as opening cases. It's not your fault a parcel gets lost and an impatient buyer opens a case.
Old 06-27-2017
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Oh yeah, the tracking is not an issue- I ship everything with DPD and UPS anyway.

I don't mind if they put me on probation, as this is the first time ever something has gone missing- I usually ship items same/next day and with Express shipping and tracking numbers. I've never had any issues with the account and all my reviews are superb.

I just want to know how this usually works, is it their way of forcing me to ship everything out before they ban me and rape me, or is it a legit "oh, just get your **** together" probation and once its over I can continue as normal.
Old 06-27-2017

Longevity: 51%

Sorry but I have no experience with this, but it would be interesting to know. I would have thought an aged and genuine account would be worth Et.sy keeping hold of.
Old 06-27-2017
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I know, its super annoying and surprising that something like this happened... I didn't even know something like this can or would happen.
Old 06-29-2017
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

is there anybody out there?
Old 06-29-2017

Longevity: 72%

Never had this happen to me, but in 6 years and 10K sales I've only had two cases on Etsy and they closed them automatically after a few minutes because they showed 'delivered;.

Should you ship? You've been paid, so of course, yes.

Can you get the customers to close the cases? I would if you can, asap.

There's no reason not to take them at their word, I suppose, other than standard evil corporate double-speak.

I might be tempted, though, to suspend most of my activity for the next four weeks to be sure nothing else happens.

And I'd be sure to avoid open cases if I could in the future, which means quick answers to the whole 'where's my package, stupid seller' class of questions.

Gladiator is the true 'deep state' Etsy expert, though. She can help you open a new account if you have to.
The Following User Says Thank You to dallis For This Useful Post:
Haidukken (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017
MU

I've sold on there 8 years and have never heard of this. I've got "reviews" where they won't let me add listings or sale until cases were resolved or listings updated, but I've never had one where it was probation period and told to not have any new cases. On the stores that got those hits, even if I did what they wanted, within a month they shut them down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:
Haidukken (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I guess I will give it a go, why not- At this point I've got nothing to lose.

I will just slow the sales down a bit I think just to make sure I tick all of their boxes but don't risk too much myself. I don't want to end up in a situation where I have a lot of money stuck with them.
Old 07-04-2017

Longevity: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidukken View Post
Oh yeah, the tracking is not an issue- I ship everything with DPD and UPS anyway.

I don't mind if they put me on probation, as this is the first time ever something has gone missing- I usually ship items same/next day and with Express shipping and tracking numbers. I've never had any issues with the account and all my reviews are superb.

I just want to know how this usually works, is it their way of forcing me to ship everything out before they ban me and rape me, or is it a legit "oh, just get your **** together" probation and once its over I can continue as normal.
The problem is that if you get past the period and anything happens in the future...even 2 cases in say 60 days you will be gone. They do not care how long you have had the account. I had 5000 sales over 4 years and they put me on probation for a handful of cases over 60 days. I never had to wait for etsy to make a decision on any of them. If you want to keep your account you have to refund or resend and deal with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sphillips For This Useful Post:
Gladiator (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphillips View Post
The problem is that if you get past the period and anything happens in the future...even 2 cases in say 60 days you will be gone. They do not care how long you have had the account. I had 5000 sales over 4 years and they put me on probation for a handful of cases over 60 days. I never had to wait for etsy to make a decision on any of them. If you want to keep your account you have to refund or resend and deal with it.
Yep. I've navigated reviews and stupid stuff before, but it's always a matter of time no matter what you do that they don't jump on you with both feet. It seems counter-productive but it's probably just angry hipsters doing it anyway.
Old 07-06-2017
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphillips View Post
Thats not a problem at all.

Its never been a problem for me, as I didn't have ANY cases before those cases and even those cases have been handled with great success- All closed and max star feedback received.
I don't sell crap, I hardly have problematic customers- I find my product and my customers a good match, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.

Also, just a random question: if a case is opened and I refund right away, does it still "count against me" in the eyes on Etsy?

I've not got that much experience when it comes to Etsy cases, as I don't get them. I just know how eBay calculates them and how tolerant they are.

Cheerio
Old 07-14-2017

Oops, asked on another thread, how's it working out?

I don't know what the ET standards are for cases... I would guess a quickly closed case of less concern than one that isn't addressed, though, as long as there aren't too many if them.
Old 07-17-2017
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

At the moment, everything is going well.
My review date will be on the 31st and I hope everything goes well. So far I've sold as normal, added all the tracking numbers to the orders right away and messaged customers every 3 or 4 days, just to keep them happy and up to date.
All max feedbacks, all positive and happy customers.

Lets hope Etsy will have mercy on the 31st.
Old 07-18-2017
MU

I hope everything works out for you!
Old 07-18-2017

Great, we'll be thinking positive thoughts.
Old 07-20-2017

Longevity: 59%

keep us posted, as your probation situation sounds very unique.
Old 08-02-2017
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Well, everything went well until the ****ing last day of the probation.

A retarded ladybug of a customer opened a "not received" case. Item was ordered on a Monday, with a 3 week shipping time, case was opened on Friday.

I thought "Well, thats that then" and was planning my life without a 10k income a month. I received an email from Etsy support 4 hours later.

The email pointed out all the positive aspects of the probation period: loads of sales, no cases or problems, all max feedback and great comments... and then THE one case that was opened.
Luckily they said " we understand these things happen and by the looks of it, the case looks a bit of a weird one as the customer opened it before the official processing time end"
... And then they just said "Be nice and keep up the good work, don't **** up in the future and keep on selling"

They lifted probation, released ALL funds and I'm back to selling normally- Doesn't seem it has affected my sales or tracking so far, so you know... Fingers crossed that it all works out well!

Wish me luck!

Ps: I will start a new account, I don't want to be in the same position again.
Old 08-03-2017

Longevity: 51%

Gratz Haidukken! I'm really pleased for you. There's always one moron out to spoil **** for no reason other than their own blind stupidity, but its nice to see that Et.sy saw through it and did the right thing. :D

Good luck with the stealths
The Following User Says Thank You to zenohki For This Useful Post:
Gladiator (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017
MU

Etsy even letting them open a complaint when the processing period had not run out is suspect. Glad it worked out tho!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:
novemberrain1970 (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017

Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
Etsy even letting them open a complaint when the processing period had not run out is suspect. Glad it worked out tho!
That is what I was thinking too - that person must have contacted Etsy directly instead of going through the usual process, since they would not even be able to open a case the normal way at that point. SO glad that it has worked out. Happy selling!
The Following User Says Thank You to novemberrain1970 For This Useful Post:
Gladiator (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberrain1970 View Post
That is what I was thinking too - that person must have contacted Etsy directly instead of going through the usual process, since they would not even be able to open a case the normal way at that point. SO glad that it has worked out. Happy selling!
Seems like it, I've never had a case be able to be opened before the processing period has ran out. Seems like that'd cause a whole host of problems on there if people could do that on a regular basis.